Shins hurt from running?

Options
Hello all! I am new to running/jogging and would like some advice. About 30 seconds into running, my shins become really sore to the point where I cannot run for more than a minute before having to slow down to a walk. This will also happen occasionally when speed walking at a very fast pace. Has anyone else had this issue? Is this just because I am out of shape and need to power through to get those muscles to become accustomed? Any advice is much appreciated!

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    If running is something you enjoy and want to stick with, I'd suggest going to a running store to have your gait analyzed (they'll look at your footstrike while running on a treadmill, etc.) and they will use that information to fit you with the best running shoe for you.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You need to do a little more stretching before running. Do a couple leg warm up exercises. Get some good running shoes and ease into your running. When I first started running my shins and hamstrings just killed me for days. I slowed my pace and shortened my stride and all the pain went away. Just ease into it and really listen to what your body is telling you. You don't want to push it to hard to quick or you can injure yourself. Get a heart rate monitor and try to stay in your targeted heart rate. My cousin runs the Iron Man and he said when you run you should be able to speak to someone without feeling out of breath. If you are talking and winded then you should slow your pace. These helped me when I first started. Best of luck!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Shin splints happen to just about every runner when they start out.
    It will get better.
    As far as I know, there isn't much you can do about it, except to rest.
    I'd do what you have been doing. Run a little bit, maybe, and when it starts to hurt, then walk.
    You can ice your shins after your runs. Might help a bit.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you that I used to get them, but they don't seem to be a problem anymore, so it can improve!

Now, if someone can help me with my hip flexors...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Try shorter strides so you are heel striking so hard. Definitely slow down.
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Whenever my shins hurt it's a signal for me to buy new shoes. Or if your shoes are new maybe you overpronate and running in the wrong shoes.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    There are many reason that your shins can hurt from speed walking and/or running.

the wrong shoes
    foot slap (that's what I call it when your forefoot slaps on the ground)
    no warmup
    starting at too fast a speed
    bad walking/running style
    shin splints

Right away most people think "shin splints", but it is most likely one or more of the other reasons.

Find a good pair of shoes that roll with you foot (no foot slap), and have good cushioning if you do it on roads.
    Do a little stretching to warm up, and rotate all your joints to loosen up.
    Start at a slow pace and gradually build up to the pace you want to train at.
    Develop a good walking/running style

I power walked before I started running, and my shins killed me for quite a while until I learned all these things. They hurt a little sometimes when I start off too fast and don't give them a chance to adjust, but it goes away within the first mile.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hello all! I am new to running/jogging and would like some advice. About 30 seconds into running, my shins become really sore to the point where I cannot run for more than a minute before having to slow down to a walk. This will also happen occasionally when speed walking at a very fast pace. Has anyone else had this issue? Is this just because I am out of shape and need to power through to get those muscles to become accustomed? Any advice is much appreciated!

If you're completely new to running that would suggest an underlying issue that needs to be resolved, particularly given your comment about walking.

There are several different potential causes of shin pain; inappropriate or ill fitting shoes, with out shoes, doing too much too soon, strength imbalances or gait issues.

Given that it affects you when running and walking I'd veer towards muscular imbalance initially, although also look at the length of your pace. To address the muscular imbalance you may need to strengthen the shin muscle, so toe raises with a sand bag on your foot or similar. Toe raises against a rubber strap are also helpful. Also try calf raises on the edge of a step, so that you go through a full range of motion. The "foot slap" mentioned above can be a result of muscular issues, or may be an indication of flat feet.

Also look at how you run, and walk. Try to keep your step short, with your leading foot landing under your centre of mass rather than in front. If you lead too much you place rotational stresses on your lower leg that can exacerbate the symptoms.

As far as shoes are concerned, that wouldn't be my first recommendation. Do some research into different shoe designs but personally I'd wait until say four or five weeks into something like Couch to 5K, to let your style settle. Fwiw personally if I use cushioned shoes I'd cripple myself in ten miles, so don't just go off random suggestions on the internet.

Stretching and icing do alleviate the pain, but don't address the cause.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Shin Splints. New shoes should help.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    You might want to look up Chi running or The Pose Method of running, they can be instrumental in learning good form. I'm convinced that good form prevents most running injuries. Good luck to you and happy running!
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you're new to running then yes it's normal!! I'm still fairly new to the running game, but I've learned a lot of SMART tips and now I have zero pain even with increased running time!
    Make sure u warm up- simple walking for 5min, it warms up your muscles and can help prevent injuries- from advice on here, and my own experience- stretching beforehand doesn't help and could possibly make it worse- a warm up walk is good enough!
    - also take your time- don't go too fast or run for too long, really ease into it, if you don't, you will injure yourself and have to take time off, hence you will waste more time!
    - Definitely do stretches after a run, along with a 5min cool down walk- honestly all this has stopped ALL aches and pains, no more shin splints, or runners knee etc, oh and make sure you've been fitted at a runners shoe store for a good pair of shoes- they're expensive but holy cow does it help with preventing more injuries!
  • midnightsurfer
    midnightsurfer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but when i was getting back into running i was getting really bad pain along my shins which sometimes extended to my calves a bit.
    Its now completely gone, a mixture of stretching (focusing on hamstrings and calves) and foam rolling my calves solved this for me. I had gone to a physio who told me i had knots in my calves which was causing this.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem with shin splints as a new runner. I have it now about 10 years in, possibly related to currently having tendonitis. I still run slowly (currently back down to a 50min 5k cos i have to walk some) and the furthest i've run is 10k (i think). I often have to restart walk/running due to a medical condition, it's frustrating but definately better than sitting on my *kitten* feeling sorry for myself.

You've not said if you warm up, cool down, do other sports, so it's hard to give advice. Don't push through the pain, have a week off and start at the beginning again. Warm up and cool down for at least 5 mins, walk more, run less, shorten you run distance to 2k (or 1k even), shorten your stride and slow your pace.
    Remember running is hard on your body, it can take months to improve, that's fine, everyone's different and you're not a failure for being slower than anyone else.
    Be nice to your legs, give them a chance to get used to the impact. Slow progress might be frustrating, but being unable to run (or walk) due to injury is soul destroying as far as i'm concerned.
    Get a few good icepacks, a roller and a massage stick and youtube what to do with them.

You could also try cross-training - biking, skating, weight lifting, swimming, karate, fencing. Anything low impact that helps with your breathing, strength and endurance. Treadmill running or static bike hiit sessions (10 mins are enough) are great for helping with all 3, if you can't do another sport and won't overdo it.

Yoga/pilates and dancing/ballet/gymnastic foot and leg stretches/exercises should help strengthen your feet, ankles, lower legs and knees to help you endure running with less injury. Youtube has loads of vids for those and runner's plyometric stretches for warm up/cool down.

I also recommend going to see a sports chiro/masseuse, as well as having your gait analysed.

Good luck. Hope your legs heal soon.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ugh! @ swear filter.
  • Morganbennett1
    Morganbennett1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started running. I found that having the right shoes is very important. Also if you are leaning forward when you run/walk then that could be a problem too. I found that when I lean forward while running my shins hurt intensely, but if you keep your shoulders back and your head up, the pain can go away. I've also found that the more weight I lose, the less painful running is. The best advice I can give, is if you can, buy really good running shoes. It may hurt your wallet at first, but it will really benefit you.