Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

For women that have children

Does the tummy pooch ever completely go away? Will there always be a bit of loose skin? I'm 33 and I have 3 children. My youngest is 3. My prepregnancy weight with him was 126lbs and I was a size 8 (I'm in the US). I think I gained about 25 lbs in that pregnancy. After the initial loss of having him I stayed around 137 for a long time. My life was busy and I didn't have good eating habits and I didn't workout regularly. So in January this year I started at 136 lbs. I have been eating much better and working out very regularly. Today my weight is 120.6 and a size 6 is a little big on me. My goal weight is 115. I'm 5'2" for reference. But I still have a tummy pooch. How can I get it to go away? I'm doing tons of crunches. I can feel my abs but they are under that pooch. Help

Replies

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    crunches work the abs muscle but it wont burn the fat on it. the tummy fat will be either less or all gone by the time u get to 117 or 115. fat from problem areas r the last to disappear because thats where our body like to store fat n has the most fat cell.

keep exercising n eat at a caloric deficit n get another few pound of fat off then it will go away. as for the loose skin only time can tell coz we all have different genetics.

lastly, HIIT n lifting will help u to get to ur goal if u havent try them yet.

PS CONGRATS on the new you B)
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    beanz744 wrote: »
    crunches work the abs muscle but it wont burn the fat on it. the tummy fat will be either less or all gone by the time u get to 117 or 115. fat from problem areas r the last to disappear because thats where our body like to store fat n has the most fat cell.

keep exercising n eat at a caloric deficit n get another few pound of fat off then it will go away. as for the loose skin only time can tell coz we all have different genetics.

lastly, HIIT n lifting will help u to get to ur goal if u havent try them yet.

PS CONGRATS on the new you B)

Thanks! I'm doing some HIIT workouts and I am doing resistance training as well. So I guess I just need to be patient, which is really hard!
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    If you had him naturally then eventually it *may* but yeah, genetics play a big role in that. I had a c-section, I will forever have a pooch regardless of how much I work out. My mom was a skinny Minnie and always had hers.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    ashbabe25 wrote: »
    If you had him naturally then eventually it *may* but yeah, genetics play a big role in that. I had a c-section, I will forever have a pooch regardless of how much I work out. My mom was a skinny Minnie and always had hers.

I had a C-section with my first and VBACs with my other two. My C-section was a bikini incision, why would that prevent the pooch from going away?
  • tlasublime83
    tlasublime83 Posts: 35 Member
    Mine did after my first two. My third is 2 years old now. I just started working out again.
    I didn't have a c section so I'm not sure if that plays a role.
    I'm also 5'2.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    I'm 5'3.5" and had a csection 6.5 months ago. I'm swiftly approaching my lowest adult weight and am hoping to get to 130ish pounds. Who knows maybe my mommy tummy will be gone then but if not I'm okay with it.

The pooch may or may not go away depending on genetics and your muscles. Congrats on your success thus far!
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    I had a pooch before I even got pregnant, I think it's just my body type. I was quite thin ( 134, 5'6'', size 4) but I never did have a smooth stomach. Now 10 months postpartum my stomach looks pretty much the same as it did before. My friend had a baby around the same time and her stomach is flat again. I think it's genetics, life's not fair ;)
  • tlee278
    tlee278 Posts: 35 Member
    I'm still blessed with my kangaroo pouch!
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2017
    I agree with mentioned hopefully genetics is on your side, and you're already working out which will help. I would also recommend staying fully hydrated water is amazing. All of these are just suggestions maybe surgery could be the final answer.

My sisters were both thin but they also mentioned this pooch but for them they mentioned it was due to the stomach expanding and stretching with pregnancy.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Haha OP we have a lot in common. I'm 32 with three kids, youngest is 2.5 years old and had one c-section and 2 vbacs. With me I have a feeling that it was my last baby that have me the loose skin even though with him I gained the least amount of weight (25 lbs). As I lost the weight I noticed that the leaner I got the more noticeable the loose skin is. I don't have a pooch atm but my stomach is now the first place I gain weight, so the pooch comes and goes. It's funny before kids esp my third ehem, I use to gain weight on my butt and thighs first.
    OP just keep doing what you're doing, you're on the right track.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Not for me.. genetics is NOT on my side for that. I hold all my weight in my middle.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    I'm very petite (5'2 & under 100) and, after my daughter, I thought my stomach would always stay a little "rounder". Then, a few months ago, it just went away. I have no idea why. I didn't change anything...I just defeated (not complaining). It was odd. So, hang in there. Sounds like you're doing everything right.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I don't have a pooch, but I have a bit of loose skin...and abs. It just is what it is.

I've seen quite a few naked moms in the locker room...even the very fit, athletic moms have loose stomach skin.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2017
    I have loose skin. 2 kiddos, both c-sections, and I was pretty obese after my first.

My recommendation is Strength Training with progressive overload.

s8m8te2s5qsr.jpg
    **I look mad in the pic on the right, but I'm actually in a lot of pain. That pic was yesterday morning and last night I found out that my pain is being caused by mirena which after almost 3 years has made it's way into my abdomen.**

Edit: Oh and I'm 5'4.5". Currently around 132 lbs. The purple shirt pics, I was around 135 lbs.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    I have loose skin. 2 kiddos, both c-sections, and I was pretty obese after my first.

s8m8te2s5qsr.jpg
    **I look mad in the pic on the right, but I'm actually in a lot of pain. That pic was yesterday morning and last night I found out that my pain is being caused by mirena which after almost 3 years has made it's way into my abdomen.**

Edit: Oh and I'm 5'4.5". Currently around 132 lbs.

Ouch! I hope you get that taken care of soon. Your tummy is a bit smaller than mine, my skin looks very similar.
  • LuluIsLosing
    LuluIsLosing Posts: 23 Member
    I'm 5'0, 113.5 lbs (have lost 33). I still have a c section pooch unfortunately. It's the reason I'm continuing to work to lose weight, holding out a slim hope that it'll go eventually!
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    edited June 2017
    I've been wondering if the muscles are just too long from being stretched out. I'm at my high school weight but this is not my high school body. It's not that I want to have visible abs, I just don't want my belly to stick out so far. If I could 'tighten an inner corset', the small bit of fat I have on top wouldn't look weirdly out of place.

ETA: My arms are firm, my legs feel like they are almost completely muscle, I don't look so bad from behind, but it is like I have a half stuffed pillow in front.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Yes. I had my son at age 23 and actually went down to a Size 1 (not intentionally...from taking a 12 hour, high activity job right after his birth) and never developed the "belly pooch" until about 11 years later when I had to do more sitting in a Surgical Admin position. I also gained General weight and the dreaded pooch. Apparently, posture from desk jobs and stress creates that pooch, too. It's visceral fat and hardest to lose.

But if you lose enough fat, you can definitely lose the pooch (or most of it). But good core strength and posture and stress management are equally important in losing it/avoiding it.

Those workouts that "target" certain areas are pure BS. You can't burn fat in just one area. You casn build muscle in a targeted zone, but until the fat is lost all over...those muscles will stay hidden. But building them is good for burning more calories daily, of course.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member

s8m8te2s5qsr.jpg

Edit: Oh and I'm 5'4.5". Currently around 132 lbs. The purple shirt pics, I was around 135 lbs.

You look AWESOME!