Anybody in their 40s and trying to get back in shape??

Options
2»

Replies

• merovingian2069
    merovingian2069 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 44 and it's a nightmare on the fitness front. My wife and I are doing the low carb thing which does help but there is a 15 pound fluctuation that drives me crazy. I definitely think it's a metabolism thing. I have hypothyroidism which really kicked in during my early 30s and that is when the weight gains went through the roof. Went from 140 to 250 over about 5 years. That's like carrying a teenager pin your back! In recent years I herniated my L5 disc so that put the brakes on much of my fitness. We already knew that getting older would present physical setbacks but I also think that we don't think we're as old as our bodies are telling us. Anyway. This are my thoughts. Sorry for the ramble.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would strongly encourage folks to do some due diligence about metabolism rather than take what's being presented here as opinion, as truth. Unfortunately, metabolism does indeed slow down (don't take my word for it, research it). Yes, it does take more work the older we get. And so what if it does? One can make the conscious decision to throw hands in the air and give up, or make the conscious effort to change a few things. Diet, exercise, discipline...

I'm 47 and look back at portfolio shots of me in my 20's. My goal is to look better now, than I did then. Not that I looked like The Rock back then but I was definitely in much better physical condition than I was in my latter 30's and early 40's. Back then I was eating whole pizzas and downing Coca Cola like I drink water, now. I was physically active on weekends and that was about it. I could eat everything and anything and see very little effects of a fairly awful diet. Not so in my 40's. I avoid processed foods as much as I can, 90% of the fluid I drink is water. I'll have maybe 2 liters of soda in a year.

It wasn't easy getting away from processed food for more natural items. It's easy eating a meal from a box or a can. It takes time and planning putting it all together oneself. It also makes a world of difference and it makes progress that much more satisfying. I'm not a "clean" eater by any stretch. I still love my occasional hostess treat or ice cream or snickers bar, but I certainly do what I can, when possible, to eat healthy.

I've found a good balance with my food and it is different with everyone. We all have our cravings and weaknesses but we can all learn to manage them. I took a hold of my appetite, first, and then tackled working out. At my heaviest I was around 220. I'm hovering between 195 and 198 these days and I know 190 is probably my ideal weight to see a full six pack again. This last stretch isn't easy but I'm good with not easy.
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It better be possible at 48 . . . I just turned 49.

I've never had a fast metabolism, but it went into snail gear after 40 for sure. Still, with me it's more just doing what I know I need to do and the results do come--it's not that it can't or doesn't happen. Problem is that I lapse on that and have cycles where I put on a few more pounds that I promised to never put on again . . . and am there again right now. Working on it again, though and it'll happen.

Just keep at it and you'll be fine. Plenty of people get into (and keep in) good shape well past 40.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    We are still young in our 40's!!! (and 50's and 60's, etc) I went from BMI 30 to BMI 23 even with some metabolically challenging conditions: hypothyroidism, pcos, anemia. I just had to get real and be completely honest with myself and stop listening to that little voice in my head that makes very convincing excuses for me.
  • markinoki92
    markinoki92 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and dropped 30 pounds in 7 months by eating clean, exercise of course, and keep a disciplined routine. I don't think losing weight has anything to do with my age, rather if I have an injury it just takes a little more tender loving care to recover.
  • markinoki92
    markinoki92 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Started at 45. Lost 73 lbs. Had two invasive surgeries, open heart and a double hernia repair. Turned fifty recently. A few days ago I pulled a 315lb deadlift.

It's not only possible, it's vital to remaining as functional as you can in your older years.

That's what I'm talking about !!
  • Leahrf313
    Leahrf313 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 42, full time work, going to school and have family at home in addition to being overweight and having health issues! It's a lot to juggle so I'm trying to make a balance for all! Looking for motivating and accountability friends!
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Options
    40 and in better shape than i was at 30...but still a long way to go...and it ain't easy
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and looking to lose at least 50. If you're looking for MFP friends, add me.
  • fuzz_bunny
    fuzz_bunny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and I have found that my metabolism is slower too, but I have lost 53 pounds so far. I started last year at the end of August, and I track my food on My Fitness Pal. Exercise is my downfall, as I have gotten my diet under control. It's a journey and I won't give up. I need to lose about another 50 or 60 pounds. I'll get there next year!
  • fuzz_bunny
    fuzz_bunny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also, I read that when you reach your forties, you start losing muscle mass and that's why we get the middle age spread. Adding strength training, and eating more protein to build muscle will help us lose the fat.
  • SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm still working to lose a few extra pounds and to build & tone muscle mass. It was easier in my 30s, but I'm determined and won't give up. Feel free to add.
  • yalondarodgers859
    yalondarodgers859 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and I finally reached my goal weight last year. When I was younger my weight was so much easier to maintain. I got very comfortable and went back to my regular eating and have now put back on some weight. I know this will be a lifestyle change. I have to be aware of what I am eating now. Long gone are the days where I can eat what I want and not gain a lb. I have to accept what they say about a slower metabolism..
  • yalondarodgers859
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hello. Please add me by the way...I am 44
  • __KEC__
    __KEC__ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and it definitely is harder than my twenties. I have been able to drop slowly but I have to watch it closely.
  • jenstripl
    jenstripl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It was so much easier when I was younger!!! Is it possible to still lose weight (I'm aiming for 30 lbs) at 48?? Feeling a little discouraged here.

I am right there with you. I am 46. I have lost 40 lbs since the start of the year, but it has been a lot of hard work. I still have 24 to go and It very well may take until the end of the year. :-) I figure any amount in the right direction is good. It sure is a whole lot harder than when I was in my twenties!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I'll be 45 in a few months and I was successful in earlier years dropping over 100lbs (late 30's). It's definitely possible. I'm already down 20lbs since February and although it's coming off much slower than it did previously, it's coming off. Feel free to add me!
  • yalondarodgers859
    Options
    The hardest part of this journey to me is he eating.... I am 44 but have always worked out and never really had to worry about eating right before.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm with you there! I'm 43 and never had to worry about my weight until I hit 40. Occasionally in my 30's I'd get a bit heavier than I liked but could drop the weight easily. I've now been going 7 weeks and lost 13 lbs (most of that in the first 4 weeks though, very little recently). Nothing's going to stop me though, it will just take a little longer than it used to.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 47 and have been losing and gaining the same 15 pounds for the last 5 years. I think you tend to be more active on a daily basis when you're younger which helps make it easier to lose weight. Not much you can do when you have an 8-5 desk job vs when I was in my 20's doing field work. Losing weight definitely doesn't happen as quickly for me these days. Add in the driving kids around, etc and fast food and ouila, the weight sticks.

I'd like to lose another 10 -15, I'm at 155 and 5'3" but have always been naturally high on the BMI chart or slightly over. At this point in my life, I'm looking at function vs vanity. I'm totally healthy and even was 15 pounds heavier but I just want to be able to do the things I want to do and I think I need to be in better shape to keep doing those things into my 50's and beyond.

I started simply by walking at lunch whenever possible, then I started swimming and now I've taken up mountain biking. I sometimes do 2 of these a day like I walked at lunch and I'm going biking tonight. Yesterday, it was my elliptical and resistance bands. I'm trying to make daily activity a priority. I haven't lost a ton of weight in the last 3 months (only about 7 pounds), but I feel stronger and figure the loss will come.

Good luck!