Take that dad!

Options
iTim__
iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
Test results are in and I've risen above my genetics! WOO HOO!!!

My dad has had a quadruple bypass and had high blood pressure for as long as I can remember. My grandfather died of a heart attack, so did my great-grand father. Probably his dad did too... not sure, the family history is a bit foggy before that.

So, I charted my results from my cholesterol tests and I want to share them with you. Take a look at this and keep in mind, I turned things around in January of this year by kicking my MFP habit into high gear and staying motivated:

LDL is that "bad cholesterol," which you want low.
HDL is the "good cholesterol," which you want high.

chart_1%252520%2525281%252529.png

chart_2.png

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Too bad I'm chart challenged. I just assume it's good or you wouldn't have posted it. :tongue:
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Wow! That's fantastic. I'm trying to improve my cholesterol as well, and it's great to see that you've made such an astonishing change.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    congrats...that is awesome
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Glad you shared. My grandfather died from Type II diabetes and my dad and I fight this daily. His cholesterol is all outta whack from blood thinners but he's slowly regulating it with a better diet. Your story and his are great...IT CAN BE DONE! Eating correctly and exercising are truly life-saving. Again thanks for sharing!!!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Awesome - congratulations!!:bigsmile:
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Wow - what a turnaround!!! That really is something to celebrate :smile: Vx
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I'd call that a U-Turn. :wink:
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Great job!! That's fantastic!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    So terrifically awesome Tim! I lost two sisters that either did not belive or care that it could be done. My Dad had a heart attack in his early 50', my granddad did also and then a stroke. My granddad was dead by mid 50's. My mom is 81 and in good health and I am now also!
  • iTim__
    Options
    So terrifically awesome Tim! I lost two sisters that either did not belive or care that it could be done. My Dad had a heart attack in his early 50', my granddad did also and then a stroke. My granddad was dead by mid 50's. My mom is 81 and in good health and I am now also!

I have a great doctor by the way! She said really only 15%-20% of ALL HEALTH PROBLEMS can really be attributed to genetics. And even in those rare cases where it is because of genetics, there's a lot you can do to take control of it.

She, my doctor, was beaming with pride this past week when she took me off all (that's right all) my blood pressure medications. She said she's lucky to do that "once a year." I told her, "I guess this is my year."
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    One of the best sets of before/after pics I've ever seen.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Very impressive, and great for your health. Pretty awesome profile pics too.. ;)
  • Runshanrun
    Runshanrun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Great job! You probably just avoided a heart attack! A health diet and exercise really can change your life
  • iTim__
    Options
    :bigsmile: Great job! You probably just avoided a heart attack! A health diet and exercise really can change your life

Amen sistah!
  • See_Jenn_Run
    Options

She, my doctor, was beaming with pride this past week when she took me off all (that's right all) my blood pressure medications. She said she's lucky to do that "once a year." I told her, "I guess this is my year."

Congratulations and good job on making someone else's day with positive habits!
  • scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Awesome results!!! So glad to hear you're healthy and happy!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Tim, my hat is off to you.....seeing your numbers , knowing it can be done can boost others in here as well........youre young , you got your whole healthy lilfe ahead of you..........just curious, what are your triglicirides? and your total cholesterol, if its ok to ask?

Again, youre a trendsetter for sure.............Lloyd
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! Great job on getting your health on track!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Making such a positive turnaround in your health is fantastic! You are taking ownership of your own life, and beating that family history. Way to go! You should make plans for your retirement, because you are going to live a LONG time!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!