Maybe s tupid question

Options

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Put your current stats into mpg. Target 1 lb loss a week. Eat the number of calories mpg tells you and half your exercise calories every day
  • milesy1971
    milesy1971 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    sorry can you say that again - so currently it tells me 1530 cals a day (sounds very very low) and target cals for exercise 770 a week?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Click "Apps".
    Click "BMR".
    done.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    milesy1971 wrote: »
    thanks......i think my biggest problem with tracking calories is the nightly family meal - the wife cooks normally so to work out calories per serve always seems problematic

im sure others have the same issue.any advise on how you handle this?

My boyfriend cooks all of the family meals from scratch as well. Use the barcode scanner and leave out the ingredients (bottles, bags, etc) and scan them after dinner and figure out how much your serving was based on how many were used total to cook for the family. It's not easy, but scanning harder things liked marinades, sauces, dressing, etc makes the figuring easier.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    thanks......i think my biggest problem with tracking calories is the nightly family meal - the wife cooks normally so to work out calories per serve always seems problematic

My boyfriend cooks all of the family meals from scratch as well. Use the barcode scanner and leave out the ingredients (bottles, bags, etc) and scan them after dinner and figure out how much your serving was based on how many were used total to cook for the family. It's not easy, but scanning harder things liked marinades, sauces, dressing, etc makes the figuring easier.

even the barcode scanner entries can be way off
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    You'll have to get your wife to weigh and record the weight of everything she prepares for your meal. Then you'll have to enter it in your food diary. This will be a test of true love if she does it right on your behalf.

I haven't had to do that, as I married a beautiful woman who can't, won't, and shouldn't cook.

my hubby weighs everything for me if he is cooking. if Im cooking I do it myself. he knows how important it is to me. she could at least weigh stuff out for you if she cant,wont or shouldnt cook lol
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Definitely check that barcodes match bottle or bag. But I got my boyfriend a food scale to make it easier on him. He likes to have the kitchen to himself, so I don't dare get in the way. We just go over the "stats" after dinner together. If it's veggies and fruits and such, calories are minimal so I don't worry about exact measurements too much. It's the pastas, sauces, and grains I'm really vigilant about. "Give me literally 1/4 of a bagel with the eggs" is practically a mantra around here, lol.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I love/hate when my husband cooks. I love it, because i don't have to cook, but i hate it because i have to guesstimate the calories as best i can. One of the main reasons i do the majority of the cooking is so i can be accurate with calories!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Treat it like a restaurant. You have control over simple green salad ingredients/salad dressing. Log it. You have control over portion size with the main entree (no seconds) and use the closest guess when you enter it in your log. Round up.

You can offer to help cook a meal one night a week and weigh and measure the ingredients yourself.
  • milesy1971
    Options
    does this make any sense???
    \earning calories from daily excercise??

3ej41oucj1ik.png
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    One question you're asking is whether eating 1310 Calories (if that's truly and accurately calculated and all you actually ate and drunk) is acceptable for a male... and the answer is probably no.

One other question you're asking is whether the 2K exercise calorie adjustment and 4K that you showed on a previous link are likely.

The answer there is a bit more complicated. On the face of it 2K and 4K exercise burns are pretty high and unlikely.

However they are eminently feasible if people meet certain criteria.

Namely total exercise calorie adjustments are a function of the settings you've selected on MFP, and of the total time of exercise or activity, intensity of exercise or activity, your weight, and to an extent your age and height.

So, if you're setup as sedentary on MFP and you walk for 8 hours at work... well you're not really sedentary and you will get a huge adjustment from that. The same applies if you're setup as sedentary and go for a 4 hour hike up the mountain.

So absent all the information in question (age, height, weight, level you've told MFP you're setup as, amount and type of activity and exercise)... only your weight change and logging will tell you in the longer term whether any of this made sense.

It looks like MFP is giving you 1900 calories to eat. I am going to assume you've set yourself up to lose 1lbs a week, which may or may not be the correct assumption and/or setting for you!

This means that MFP thinks you would burn 2400 Cal a day if you were a sedentary individual (and given a factor of 1.25 that MFP thinks your BMR is about 1920 Cal a day).

An individual with a 1920 Cal BMR COULD spend about 4417 calories during a very active day.

But he ought to be fairly tired at the end of it :smiley:

So: if you think you had a very busy day and you're a big guy, yeah! You spent a lot of calories. Maybe a few too many given what you ate. Eat more or spend less or both so as to have a reasonably paced weight loss.

If you think you sat on your **kitten** all day barely moving a finger... and your toes are in no danger of getting blisters... well then you may want to look into the accuracy of your garmin.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

3ej41oucj1ik.png

A great answer for @PAV8888 above. He gave a lot of what-if scenarios. If you would provide more context, help would be easier to give.

What kind of activity did you do the day you gave your screenshot? And of course: age, height, current weight, what your normal day's activities look like.

On a personal opinion and very much a side note to this thread, I would ignore the advice that some people give to "always set your activity to sedentary, just to be safe". That can actually be unsafe for active people, who then don't eat back enough exercise calories (also "just to be safe"). You can wind up with too big of a deficit and not getting adequate nutrition. The theory goes that if you eat back a percentage of exercise calories to account for potential overestimation of burns by your tracker, then you'll be "more accurate". This makes sense if you have set MFP settings to match your activity level. Eating back, say 50% of your exercise calories might mean eating 100 out of 200 exercise calories. Not a big deal right? If you set it at sedentary and you really are highly active, then eating 50% of 1500 exercise gives you 750 more in a deficit. This could lead to problems in not adequately fueling your activity.

[ETA]...So be careful with your settings and understand what they mean. You don't need to build any more cushion into the system. MFP has done all that. The more accurate you are, the more predictable your results will be. (And don't try to accelerate the process!).
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

3ej41oucj1ik.png

A great answer for @PAV8888 above. He gave a lot of what-if scenarios. If you would provide more context, help would be easier to give.

What kind of activity did you do the day you gave your screenshot? And of course: age, height, current weight, what your normal day's activities look like.

On a personal opinion and very much a side note to this thread, I would ignore the advice that some people give to "always set your activity to sedentary, just to be safe". That can actually be unsafe for active people, who then don't eat back enough exercise calories (also "just to be safe"). You can wind up with too big of a deficit and not getting adequate nutrition. The theory goes that if you eat back a percentage of exercise calories to account for potential overestimation of burns by your tracker, then you'll be "more accurate". This makes sense if you have set MFP settings to match your activity level. Eating back, say 50% of your exercise calories might mean eating 100 out of 200 exercise calories. Not a big deal right? If you set it at sedentary and you really are highly active, then eating 50% of 1500 exercise gives you 750 more in a deficit. This could lead to problems in not adequately fueling your activity.

I agree and it annoys me when I see this, then you double it up with only eating back half of exercise cals (or none at all) AND setting it to "lose 2 lbs per week" and it's a disaster waiting to happen. Irresponsible advice that's a recipe for under-eating, and then people wonder why 90% of dieters fail. Lots of people seem to be under the impression that they're sedentary by default, sedentary literally means an office worker who does literally zero activity throughout the day. very few people here are actually "sedentary".
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It's best to pick sedentary activity and add your exercise calories manually so that your calories aren't over-estimated.

All of your advice is great, but I have a quibble with this one (see above post for reasoning). Matching activity level to actual - or at least close is going to make better sense, especially for those who are way more active than sedentary. It makes sense from a math perspective, and from a personal one. Eating back 50% of calories from a huge exercise adjustment wasn't enough, and over time it began to hurt my energy level for activities. Having a closer estimate to start with allowed me to plan my meals better and make sure I fueled my activities properly.

If you were to set up your deficit with a fairly accurate TDEE estimate to start with along with a planned deficit, it would amount to the same thing. If you set your TDEE level up way too low, you would have the same effect as not eating back exercise calories and ending up unhealthy.

It's a personal choice of course, but I wanted to point out that selecting sedentary "to be safe" (which is what many do), is not necessarily the "safest" choice.

• amtyrell
    Options
    What are your stats? Height current weight goal weight activity level
    3900 calories a day seems very high unless you are very heavy or very very active
  • milesy1971
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Firstly thanks for your help here

right lets paint the picture

Age 45
    Weight 118kg
    height 184cms
    MFP set to sedentry
    2 worksouts 40 minutes each a week (gym 2 days a week and general office work during the day)
    lose 1kg a week

Sunday according to my garmin thingy 11500 steps (9.71kg)
    2321 resting cals
    4759 active cals
    7080 total

Logged everything i ate MFP gives me goal of 1900 cals food i at of 1734 calls and exercise of 4448 which means i was short of eating according to |MFP 4244 - which means i should have lost a kilo in a day right :smile:

HELP
  • amtyrell
    Options
    11k steps if this is average for you set mfp to active.
    118 kg is 260 lbs
    Assuming 5 ft 10
    Your burn is about 3500 as you lose 1 lb a week every decrease of 500 a day you should eat 3000 a day.
  • milesy1971
    Options
    height is 6'1" AVERAGE steps is probably 9000 - 10000

so why doesnt mfp show me that??

and are you sure set it to active?
  • amtyrell
    Options
    10k steps is at least lightly active.