What gym do you go to?

Options
Gaygirl2120
Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
edited May 2017 in Chit-Chat
This is of course only for people who have gym memberships......

What gym do you use?
What are the pros & cons of your gym?

I go to Youfit. Pros are the price for sure, they are open 24 hours during the week, staff is good, I've been a member for so long that all the regulars know I am not that friendly chatty gym person & so they all leave me alone lol.

Cons They don't up until 8am on the weekends so if I have an early work shift I can't make it to the gym, equipment breaks & sometimes stays that way for too long.

Replies

• SalMRiina
    SalMRiina Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    NYSC
    Pro- I've been grandfathered into their passport membership (can go to any NYSC) while remaining at the $20/month deal they gave me.

Con- I've started to notice they've been shutting down locations...
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Lifetime Green Valley (Vegas)
    Place is a resort.
    Pool bar, waterslides, beach cabanas and more.
    24hr
    pricey
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I like Ys in my area because of the huge outside pools, sauna and steam room, and showers have small changing area in every stall in addition to separate private changing spots, free coffee, etc. Cons - sometimes it's too crowded, after school is over, and cannot get into my fave yoga classes during season.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The YMCA and Xsports, both having their pros and cons with Xsports being 24 hours and the YMCA having equipment that Xsports doesn't.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    YMCA 2 locations in town but I'm only going for the pool so far and haven't even checked out the rest...yet.

Pros; Location, cleanliness, towels provided. Pools are both very nice the one was built in the 70's and the other built like 2 years ago. The newer one has a steam room and the older one has a sauna both have hot tubs. Both have a lap pool and a therapy pool. New one has a lazy river, toddler pool and two water slides. Both have a ton of free classes.
    Cons; not open very late as I'm a night owl and the newer facility caters to kids too much. Its like an indoor water park in there but some how the kids still spill out into the lap pool.
    ...I mean kids are fine...I guess... :#:p

I've been a member at;
    24hr fitness San Diego ; blah but convenient
    Golds gym San Diego ; I hated the meathead mentality
    Chicago Athletic Clubs; these were pretty cool but too $$$ and didn't provide towels.
    Evanston McGraw YMCA; swim team in grade school around the time Tina Fay worked there. This was such a crazy place but its great and diverse. The building was built for the YMCA around 1900 I believe. It still has mens boarding to this day.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I counted the number of gyms I've joined over the years.

Not including our home, HS and college facilities....

2 in Ohio
    2 in Georgia
    4 in California
    5 in Arizona

.... yeah, I suppose I'm kind of a gym rat.

What's important: clean, convenient and we'll maintained

What's not: any kind of status of being associated with the facility
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Private local gym that my trainer/friend and his wife own. It's not open for public membership which is the biggest benefit as there are only ever a few clients there at anyone time working with the trainers. There are no cons really.
  • joebuschette
    joebuschette Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a gym in the building I work at so I just go there
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Crossfit box
    Much friendlier and better then the 3 gyms I've been a part off before ( or you know, donated money to each month cause I always wanted to go but was to self conscious to actually go)

How expensive is it to outfit a home gym with crossfit equipment? I wonder if it's cheaper than normal stuff
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    Crossfit box
    Much friendlier and better then the 3 gyms I've been a part off before ( or you know, donated money to each month cause I always wanted to go but was to self conscious to actually go)

How expensive is it to outfit a home gym with crossfit equipment? I wonder if it's cheaper than normal stuff

I just saw someone on Facebook selling a wood box, Olympic bar, bumper plates, medicine ball, 2 kettle bells, and some interlocking rubber mats. He wants $500.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Anytime Fitness. No real cons other than the 31-33mm bars. Nobody really uses the 2 squat racks and all gravitate to the Smith machine so I have never had to wait for a rack. Sometimes I am completely alone like it is my own private gym. Rockbot so I can listen to music I like, 24/7 and they even track PR's. Chalk is fine as long as you don't make a mess. No complaints really.
  • 1chuy
    1chuy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    I go to LA fitness, it's pretty good stuff I like my site has really helpful and positive staff and it is good for kind of whatever part of your body you want to work out
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    Crossfit box

For me it cost about $2,400 to get what I feel like is everything I need that isn't a luxury machine (like lat pull downs, rowing machine etc) but the cost was worth it because my anxiety causes me to perform poorly at gyms. I also prefer to squat barefoot and in boxers. YOLO. I don't like driving or waiting for people to get off a bench, and my routine is all over the place because of HIIT, which only the hardcore extroverts do at my gym...