Has losing weight helped a medical condition?

Options
I have asthma, which started to emerge in 2006 when I quit smoking. It's never been chronic asthma and plays up upon the weather getting colder as well as a large amount of dust. Occasionally exercise sets it off. However, I've been stepping up the swimming since September last year. I know it's summer right now and the weather isn't so cold, but I haven't needed an inhaler since at least March and two weeks ago I even did loads of decorating, dislodging dust and sanding. I'm sure it's the swimming that has slowly improved the asthma.

Replies

• bumble573
    bumble573 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has definitely improved my asthma.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Great news about your asthma! Losing weight and exercising have definitely helped my diabetes - my A1c went from 11 to 4.9 and my doctor took me off one of my meds. My blood pressure has gone from 130 / 194ish to about 115/75. So I can definitely say it's helped a medical condition in my case.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My mom had sleep apnea when she was obese. After losing probably 130 lbs she doesn't anymore and doesn't snor either.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's helped my blood pressure. And my lymph edema/refluxed veins.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    My gout is all but 100% gone. Hallelujah
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    26 pounds down.
    Blood pressure back to normal
    My husband says my seismic snoring is no more.

:)
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you are swimming in salt water, then yes, it's the swimming.
    People go to Salt Caves for asthma relief.
  • mmcbane72
    mmcbane72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have life-long asthma. I've lost 63 lbs and need to lose about 18-20 more. My asthma symptoms have improved. I can go up a flight of steps without huffing and puffing. I do have sleep apnea, but I am oping that will improve too. I was also diabetic, but not anymore. Since losing weight, I have been able to exercise more, improving my stamina and my lung function. So worth it.
  • Merrycherryo
    Merrycherryo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I switched to a plant-based diet (and occasionally eating fish), I didn't need to have my gallbladder removed. I've had acute pancreatitis & gallstones in the past, so I decided to make a big change in order to feel better, and to not die young. My doctor was so impressed and proud of me. Feels great knowing I'm making gradual changes!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It's helped reduce my high blood pressure.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The opposite is true in my case - what I thought was a problem of obesity actually turned out to be a life-long potentially debilitating medical condition, for which I'll always have to take potent medication. I had no idea that the issue wasn't caused by obesity until I lost weight. I should consider myself fortunate that the problem was revealed early in it's progress, before severe damage had been done. I still haven't got my head around this, that I wanted to lose weight to improve my health and end up with such an unpleasant problem to deal with instead. I keep wanting to scream "IT'S NOT FAIR!!!". But I don't :)

However, many things have also improved in my life - I can run (just), cycle miles, walk miles, I'm stronger, fitter, my resting heart rate has dropped from 100+ bpm to mid-fifties, my BP has fallen even though I'm older, I'm constantly active and have so much energy now, I can run around and play with my children, I can play in the park (I love the swings!), I can walk into a shop and buy clothes without embarrassment, I don't feel old anymore.

Once the docs have got my condition under control (they are still trying to find the right combination of drugs for me) and I'm more or less pain-free then things will be even better :)
  • smcarthur2007
    smcarthur2007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I fell off some scaffolding and crushed my heel bone. I've had two surgeries to have it rebuilt. Now I have joint issues and the arthritis of a seventy year old in my foot. Every pound I lose is one less pound of pressure contributing to my constant pain. I have quite a lot to lose too as I was immobile for so long.
  • oldyogi66
    oldyogi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It reduced my blood pressure and my wife says I don't snore any more.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    HBP gone.

CPAP gone.

Back pain gone.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    BP moved from low risk to optimal.
    PulseO2 moved from low risk to optimal.
    GERD symptoms gone.
    Synthroid dosage lowered from 200 mcg to 175 mcg.
    I don't snore anymore.
    Allergy symptoms diminished and almost entirely gone.
    Knee pain from previous injury almost entirely gone.
    Shoulder pain from previous injury gone.
    Lipid panel moved from low risk to optimal.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Sleep Apnea gone. High BP gone.
    Osteoarthritis= still here, not going anywhere, and acts up frequently because I am so active.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Have heel spurs - the plantar fasciitis pain is gone since losing weight.