Carbonation after gastric bypass?

Options
I would love to be able to drink the occasional carbonated beverage now that I'm 3.5 years past surgery. My weight loss clinic says never, but I think that's a bit drastic this far out. I will admit to having lots of challenges with gas ever since surgery, and Gas-X is my friend. I have always loved Caffeine Free Diet Coke, and I wanted one soooo bad on Memorial Day... Thoughts, anyone?

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My sister had gastric bypass and is 5+ years out. She doesn't have any trouble with carbonated beverages.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would ask the clinic the reasons behind the advice.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, it's about trying to keep your pouch as small as possible for as long as possible.

Gastric bypass surgically reduces the size of the stomach and patients need to do everything they can to keep that smaller size. When a person drinks a carbonated beverage, the gas that's integrated into the liquid comes out and expands the stomach like a balloon being inflated.

"Never" is the only safe choice if you want to try to keep your pouch small over time.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I know someone who had this done, and after she lost a lot of weight, she started drinking "just a little" pop again. She then started gaining again because her stomach expanded from the carbonation and she can now eat again the amount of food she ate before surgery, and regained all of the weight she lost. Surgery was a big waste of time for her.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Have you had flavored water bottles or the mio or other flavors, yes, no bubbles. But since you are doing great, to not stretch the stomach sounds like not having carbonation is the way to go.
    A question, if you don't mind, about WLS - do you still have that "need" to eat, that feeling, that mindlessness to binge? Thank you!!!
  • GrammaTree
    GrammaTree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    150poundsofme, yes, I do still get the urge to eat things I shouldn't. Eventually, though, either I'm very nauseated from all the fat, or my blood sugar drops after very carb-y things, like even Frosted Mini Wheats Mini Bites Cereal. Unfortunately, right after my surgery my brother, who lived with us, was diagnosed with and died from cancer, then I got two artificial jaws because my natural ones were too arthritic. My real mistake was letting them pull my teeth at the same time, because now all I can eat are soft and liquid foods. I tried wearing dentures, but hardware from the original TMJ surgery I had in 1994 is unfortunately working its way out, and since the other end is lodged in bone, I don't want to take it out till I have to. So while I come to terms with what I have left, and deal with the chronic pain, I'm trying really hard not to overdo things.