Dinner b4 or after workout

Options
I work 12 hour shifts 5am to 5pm. I normally eat breakfast around 7am, lunch around 12pm, then dinner about 6pm. I'm going to soon start incorporating going to the gym into my daily routine & would like to know should I eat dinner before I go to the gym & work out or after I leave? Thanks!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Whatever works! I eat post training - usually around 730/8. If I ate dinner at 6 I'd be starving and wanting more food later in the evening
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I dont think its going to matter weight loss wise the timing. As for muscle gain and recovery, unless you plan on being a body builder it likely wont matter that way either.

So it should just come down to how much energy you have for the work out, would you feel sick while working out with food in you(some people get this way).

Personally I eat after I work out to avoid potentially losing my dinner ;), but I sometimes have a banana/orange before if i feel low on energy.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I can't concentrate and do a good workout when I am too hungry. My son on the other hand gets sick if he eats before the gym. Find what works for you.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to eat a little while before working out. I wouldn't take a road trip without putting fuel in my truck and food is fuel for the body.
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Those are some long days. If you can eat an hourish before you workout and not feel yuck during your workouts I'd definitely take that option over eating afterwards. Not everyone can do it though and if you are one that can't I'd suggest trying to get that food in as soon after your workout as you can to replenish all that energy.
  • womanisadevil
    womanisadevil Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Eating right before you workout- like a heavy meal can lead to problems with food digestion. I find it causes gas and sometimes a stitch in the stomach which cuts the workout short.
    Also if your like me just after eating the fullness can make you sluggish.
    But it's whatever works for the individual and what they feel comfortable with!
    Personally the best option for me is 100-150 calories snack within a hour before.
    I try not to exercise within 2 hours of eating heavy.
    Like stated above as long as your in a calorie deficit you still lose the same amount of weight no matter when you eat. Try out different things and see what you feel the most comfortable with!
    Good luck. :smile:
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Try both and see what you like.
    I can't workout after eating. I feel like I'm gonna puke. I workout fasted.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I tend to have coffee before and my meal when its due afterwards
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    One question is whether you will feel motivated to go out to the gym after you have gone home, eaten and relaxed for a bit. I rarely want to leave again once I've gone home. For some people, it works better to go to the gym on the way home, so you don't have to force yourself out the door. If you're working out at home that shouldn't be as much of a problem. If you work out on the way home, bring a banana or some juice to give yourself a bit of energy for your workout.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, whatever will work for each person is best. Some days I eat dinner before and sometimes after, and some days I will just have a preworkout snack and then eat dinner after. Depends on my partner and my schedules and how hungry I am feeling that day.

Keep it up and good luck
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Whatever is clever...

Personally couldn't workout after dinner unless I gave myself a couple of hours...and at that point I'd just want to hang out on the couch anyway. I go directly from my office to the gym and then go home for dinner. Once I'm home, not much is going to get me back out into the world.
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I go to karate twice a week that starts immediately after I get off work, and I also go to the gym right after work another day. I personally don't like to workout after eating a meal, I may eat something small like a granola bar to tide me over after work, but my dinner is after my workout is done. It just works better for me that way. And I feel better. However, try both and see what works best for you. :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I don't like eating a meal before a workout, it makes me feel sluggish or something. But I would have a snack.