Road Trip eating

Options
We are planning a 2 week road trip this summer. I am packing a cooler with healthy snacks and lunch items. Breakfast is covered by Holiday Inn Express so can be healthy. Please give me your best options for healthy dinners out. We do not like fast food thank goodness! I have a goal of just maintaining my weight for the 2 weeks. Plan a lot of walking. I am interested in knowing best dinners out.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    We use yelp on road trips and if there is a line of people going out the front door if a restaurant, go there. Locals can't be wrong.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    We use yelp on road trips and if there is a line of people going out the front door if a restaurant, go there. Locals can't be wrong.

Yeah, we try to figure out where the locals eat that isn't a franchise chain...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Kinda hard to say since I don't know where you're going or what restaurants are there... I like chipotle for an easy meal. I just get a bowl and eat half of it, although if you're out and about it will probably be hard to keep leftovers I assume.

I would say, most chains have nutritional info available, and I would just check out that before hand and pick something from there. Typically I will try and find a menu item around 1000 calories and eat half of it. (Most restaurant food items have huge calorie counts and if they have a "low calorie" section, they usually suck haha)

If you're going to be really active (walking/hiking/whatever) I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just went away for the weekend and places like Texas Roadhouse, Cracker Barrel, even Olive Garden, apple bees, and places like that have lighter options which is good. You can always search the menu for local restaurants depending on where you're going and that'll help you get an idea of what to eat.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You could stick to chain restaurants that have nutritional info online to help you stick to your calorie goals. Or stick to healthier choices like salads and grilled/baked meat items.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Do get a grocery store near your hotel. What you will get breakfast buffet: carbs, carbs, and more carbs. Eggs and salsa (get at a grocery store), fruit, hardboiled eggs (get at grocery store or room service), or strawberry/peach/banana spread atop one waffle. I finish that with a cup of tea.

You get to make your own sandwiches (that's where fridges come in)! I make the trip to Coronado Island (very expensive San Diego) every year, and I keep it to a budget and meal plan. There's this place "La Salsa" and the even have street tacos (mini-corn tortillas and chicken or beef) or 350 calories. I even make it to the gym!

46056954.png
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of places that offer breakfast for dinner myself!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Go Picnics have boxed food items that are easy to take with you on a road trip.