A Different Way to Cheat, Sort Of

Options
Does anybody's food diary have something entered that you didn't, in fact, eat?

I find it happens to me every now and then. I get online, after dinner maybe, and enter what I had. I look and see what I have left -- calories, fat, carbs, sodium -- and decide what I'd like to have later as a snack. Then maybe I get busy with something else and forget about it. And there it is ... my string cheese, my baby bel, my hard-boiled egg white, my fiber bar, my frozen yogurt, whatever ... I "paid for it" but didn't eat it.

It seems efficient to pre-enter things -- you might not get back online before bed -- but it can lead you astray. Funny old world, isn't it?

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Definitely been there! I usually overestimate what I eat as well, due to paranoia...
  • evangpattismith
    evangpattismith Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    if you enter something and then don't eat it, you can go in and remove it :)
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I do that once in a while. I budget my calories to have a snack and then forget about it.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    if you enter something and then don't eat it, you can go in and remove it :)

Very true -- and sometimes I do. But only if I remember ... :-)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Usually I plan ahead, then change during the day if my plans change. But, you know, it really doesn't matter if you mess up a small snack here and there! All our food and exercise entries are estimates anyway, so unless you enter a 700 calorie meal and forget to eat it, things will balance out.
  • FattyWantADoughnut
    Options
    That doesn't happen to me. I am super meticulous about everything I enter; I can't go to sleep at night if my food diary isn't accurate.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Not really, I am ALWAYS around a computer right before bed so it never happens.
  • DebbieYost
    DebbieYost Posts: 11
    Options
    Evangpattismith...I love your scripture verse! Congrats on your loss...it shows you're working hard and achieving results! Keep up the good work!
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am always planning ahead, so this happens to me all the time. Sometimes I forget snacks because I treat meals with more importance, so often forget I didn't actually eat that. :ohwell: But I find that it actually helps to have my diary as accurate as possible. When I found myself really hungry, it good to be aware of exactly what you ate that day. But the truth of the matter is your calorie count isn't set in stone. So even if you do put all your stuff exactly right, a banana doesn't care. :noway: I try not to get too bend out of shape about it, but I'm still constantly updating the diary. :blushing:
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I try to plan my day out ahead of time and tweak it as I go along. Occasionally I will forget that I budgeted for something and didn't eat it... I think that is wonderful that I forgot to eat it! Better than always looking for something to eat! Means I am getting better!
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Isn't it awesome, though, when you reach an hour close to the end of the day and feel hungry, then look at your food diary and notice that you entered something wrong/extra for a meal earlier in the day, but never actually ate it? Suddenly: Bonus Calories!!! It's like getting out your winter jacket at the beginning of the season and finding money in the pocket! :-D
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That happened to me yesterday. I poured a huge iced coffee with about 8 ounces of milk in it. At the end of the day, I realized I only drank like 1/4 of it. So, a bonus 75 or so calories :)
  • James_1954
    Options
    Isn't it awesome, though, when you reach an hour close to the end of the day and feel hungry, then look at your food diary and notice that you entered something wrong/extra for a meal earlier in the day, but never actually ate it? Suddenly: Bonus Calories!!! It's like getting out your winter jacket at the beginning of the season and finding money in the pocket! :-D

You're right ... never thought of it that way!
  • James_1954
    Options
    That happened to me yesterday. I poured a huge iced coffee with about 8 ounces of milk in it. At the end of the day, I realized I only drank like 1/4 of it. So, a bonus 75 or so calories :)

Like a letter from home ... :-)
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've done it many times...I do fix it though the next day so I have an accurate diary.
  • superteetee
    superteetee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do the pre-entering thing pretty frequently. If I know what meals I have planned, I enter them in the morning so I know how much leeway I have for the day. Then I adjust my diary as I go. :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I didn't enter it, but last night I was like "man I gotta work out so I can have a sweet snack" but then I worked out and went to bed. Ah, well, sleep was much more satisfying...