Snoring and weight loss?

endermako
endermako Posts: 787 Member
Has anyone successfully stopped snoring after weight loss? I just got my results back from my sleep study and I snore terribly all night, but wasn't diagnosed with sleep apnea. I'm hoping weight loss will help. I've tried everything else to stop snoring without a sleep apnea diagnosis though I don't qualify for any of the machines. My poor partner has worn ear plugs for over 18 months straight and I feel so bad.

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Unfortunately no. I have been at my lowest weight including when I was in high school and I still snored. Then I was doing a lot of cardio, I enjoyed running on the trails for miles. And now I weigh a little more and have bulked and gained muscle; I lift and do some cardio 5 days a week. I still snore. I will be calling my doctor for a sleep study because I've always just dealt with it. But as I get older (old) I am feeling tired all the time.

Good luck, and in my best *mom* voice - go to bed on time!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    yes! I am down 30#'s since Jan 1. I sleep so much better and my wifes says my snoring is no longer bothering her. So this was a great side benefit! I have more energy than when I was a teenager.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    I haven't stopped but it has gotten better and doesn't wake my husband up at night any more. Snore strips seem to help during allergy season too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    No change for me. I don't have sleep apnea but my husband tells me I snore. It has never affected how well I sleep though. He could be making it up.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Yes, twice. I'm 5'9 was about 225.

I lost about twenty pounds and what my husband calls my "like a chainsaw - I was looking for a cord of firewood on your side of the bed" snoring was gone. I am sure I snore sometimes, but he can't hear me from downstairs, doesn't hear it in the morning when we are lightly sleeping cause the dog thinks it time to get up, and it doesn't wake him up.

Then I had some life is out of control times and gained the weight and the the snoring back.

I'm back down around 200 and the snoring is gone again. <3
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Okay that makes me feel better. I didn't snore before and I don't want my Partner to sleep in another room. I started snoring terrible when I was pregnant last year. I lost some weight, but I don't think its enough to have the snoring stop yet. I'll keep trying.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    My husband and I have been together for 18 years and I'm an extremely light sleeper. He started snoring when he hit 210 pounds but once his weight went down so did his snoring. There are people who snore for other reasons ( allergies, face structure is supposed to be one etc ) so weight isn't a cause or the solution.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    RenaTX wrote: »
    My husband and I have been together for 18 years and I'm an extremely light sleeper. He started snoring when he hit 210 pounds but once his weight went down so did his snoring. There are people who snore for other reasons ( allergies, face structure is supposed to be one etc ) so weight isn't a cause or the solution.

It actually is, in many cases.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/snoring/basics/causes/con-20031874

http://tanenbaumtmj.com/2011/09/06/snoring-and-weight-yes-there-is-a-connection/

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    There is a dental device, much like a mouth guard, that stops snoring. At my Dentist, I think it's under $200.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Not completely but according to my wife, it has gotten much better.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    My husband definitely has a "snore threshold weight". He quit when he lost weight. He started again when he regained past that point. He's stopped again now that he's lost again. It isn't the case in everyone, but it certainly can be.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I still snore if I sleep on my back, sleeping on my side stops me, I don't know if thats something that would help anyone else though? x
  • Tugsandpull
    Tugsandpull Posts: 40 Member
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Not completely but according to my wife, it has gotten much better.
    yup
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    My husband says he hasn't noticed me snoring lately. While I'm in a bit of a stall/plateau, I've lost a lot already. I snored badly at my highest weight.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Yes, it did for me.... my guess, since you started snoring with pregnancy and the associated gain you may very well stop once you lose
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    I'm living with a man for 5 years now that snores so loud, it's ear splitting. I've considered separate bedrooms because it is that bad.

So I did some research and bought a set of "ZQuiet" mouthguards (2 sizes). They're a little expensive and I have to constantly wake him if it falls out...but they reduce his mack-truck snores by about 75% or better. It was well worth buying and getting him to adjust. They push the lower jaw slightly forward, allowing more air in the throat rather than those nasal "fixes".

They're a little awkward the first few nights....but then they settle in. No boiling and no screws. I really recommend giving them a a shot! You can buy them online from ZQuiet's website.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    I'm 90lbs down, no cpap.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    edited June 2017

It actually is, in many cases.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/snoring/basics/causes/con-20031874

http://tanenbaumtmj.com/2011/09/06/snoring-and-weight-yes-there-is-a-connection/

I never said that weight wasn't a cause. It helps to read the entire comment rather than just part of it.

There are people who snore for other reasons ( allergies, face structure is supposed to be one etc ) so weight isn't a cause or the solution.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,080 Member
    It does for me. I lost the weight, snoring almost completely stopped except when sleeping on my back. Gained the weight back, and I snore a lot more. Working to taking it off again. For me the change comes when I get close to what is considered a none overweight status.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    My husband has sleep apnoea. He was diagnosed at his heaviest weight, but had snored as long as I'd known him. It got worse as he got heavier - I ended up sleeping in a bedroom at the other end of our hallway, with a pillow over my head and I could still hear him.

He has lost about 18kgs since then, and improved his fitness (still technically obese according to bmi, but he's lean) but still has apnoea, and still has to wear his cpap. Surgery was suggested initially, but he can't go down that route as he was born with a cleft palate and because of all the procedures he's had it's too risky to operate.