Best HR Watch for women??

Options
I'm looking to invest in a good heart rate watch [preferable a women/feminine style] that will be able to monitor my heart rate without a strap and without having to press the "Heart Rate" button every time. Do any of you ladies have any brands or suggestions for me?

PS- being an exercise science major and working towards a career in Physical Therapy, I will have this for a LONG time! So no cheapies!!

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, all the good HRM's do have a strap..esp if you want it for counting calories. All the ones that don't have a strap, have you press a button... so really it sounds like you want a chest strap.

Look into Polar.. thats your best bet. I have the FT7 and it's great!

Edited to add:
    I left the gym tonight with my chest strap on! Totally forgot I was wearing it till I sat down in my car and wondered why my chest felt so tight!
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I like the Polar FT7. It does have a strap.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I also like to polar F7 which does have a strap. All the good heart rate monitors do have a chest strap for accuracy
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    The ones with the chest strap are the most accurate as they are continually reading your heart rate. The ones that you push a button on are less accurate because they only read when the button is pushed and average based on the numbers it gets when the button is pushed.

Not sure why you don't want a chest strap but, after a couple wears you hardly notice them. If you are looking for a long term investment I'd say look at Polar F6 or up. You may also consider a Garmin 400 series or higher (these can track distance as well as heart rate, great for running or cycling). I currently own both and they are great and have taken a lot of abuse. I've had other brands in the past but they never lasted a year.

Good luck with your choice.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way that the only way to get a good, accurate reading is to buy a HRM with a chest strap. I have the Polar Ft4 and love it. The chest strap doesn't even bother me.
  • yeabby
    Options
    The ones with the chest strap are the most accurate as they are continually reading your heart rate. The ones that you push a button on are less accurate because they only read when the button is pushed and average based on the numbers it gets when the button is pushed.

Not sure why you don't want a chest strap but, after a couple wears you hardly notice them. If you are looking for a long term investment I'd say look at Polar F6 or up. You may also consider a Garmin 400 series or higher (these can track distance as well as heart rate, great for running or cycling). I currently own both and they are great and have taken a lot of abuse. I've had other brands in the past but they never lasted a year.

Good luck with your choice.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    You are looking for a HRM that will monitor without a chest strap and without having to press the "Heart Rate"? You will need to find something like the "Body Bugg". It is what they wear on the Biggest Loser. It is worn on the arm. It is a fairly expensive unit. Their are different brands as well. Like GoWear (see image). They don't have a constant read out like you would get from a chest strap/watch version. It is made to wear 24x7 so you know exactly what you are burning on any given day. You get your results by hooking it up to a computer and downloading the data.

GoWear_Fit_2_.jpg
    41huxpn4UFL._SS400_.jpg
    417aMQzh9UL._SS400_.jpg
    41xtwN6XkmL._SS400_.jpg
  • broganvc
    broganvc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Has anyone had any luck with the Polar F6? I'm becoming okay with the idea of a chest strap :]
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Has anyone had any luck with the Polar F6? I'm becoming okay with the idea of a chest strap :]

The Polar F6 is an older model, that has been replaced with the FT7. From what I've heard, the F6 works great but my only concern would be getting it serviced, since they don't make it any longer.
  • yeabby
    Options

I have the F6 and it's GREAT. A lot of people complain because you can't change the battery in it. That's false. I've changed mine. You remove 4 screws, take the battery out, put new in and replace the screws (making sure the gasket is in the groove). SUPER EASY.

Being a model that has been replaced you get an awesome HRM for a decent price.
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    Polar FT7, LOVE it.