Body fat %: what is realistic maintenance?

Options
I am a 35 y/o woman, active 4-5 days/week. My body fat is around 15-16%. According to body fat scales, that's great! But I feel like I need to lose fat in spot areas, which means I need to lose BF overall. Is below 16% a sustainable BF%?

When I was cardio junky, my body fat stayed around 12-13%. Since switching my routine to HIIT and heavy lifting a few years ago (and of course changing my diet to higher cals and adding back in quality carbs) , I am pleased with my body composition change. My weight is up about 15lbs, and so is body fat at 15-16%. Did I overshoot calories to end up with higher BF%?

I want to keep my muscle mass, but still lose a few % of overall bf. Thoughts?

Replies

• loriflask
    loriflask Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    All body fat analysis tools are actually estimation devices which are measuring something other than body fat and using those measurements to estimate what it thinks your body fat percentage is.

And each of these methods has an associated margin of error with it.

Even the methods known to be the "most accurate" have somewhere around a 3-5% margin of error in individuals which is quite high when you think about it.

Having said all of that, I think the reality is that you've got only a few things to consider to answer your question as to what is realistic to maintain:

1) Is your body-fat having a negative impact on the quality of your life?
    2) Is it too difficult to do the things you need to do in order to maintain that bodyfat?
    3) Is your health being compromised due to your body-fat?

If you answered yes to any of those then it's probably not realistic or desirable.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are you seem to be comparing typical body fat numbers for fit /athletic / slim men rather than those for women.
    Think either your measuring device or your expectations are a bit off.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    My thoughts are that you wouldn't want to "lose fat in spot areas" if you were truly that lean.

Anything below 18% bodyfat for women and we're talking competition levels of bodyfat. We're talking visible striations in all muscles. Hell, most women lose their period and/or have hormonal repercussions of staying this lean for too long.

My guess is that whatever method you're using to measure your body fat is just plain wrong.

To answer your main question, I think anywhere in the low 20's is reasonable for women to maintain long term without any poor health consequences.

I don't see visible striations in the picture on the right up above. I think many people think of competitive bodybuilders when they think of what women look like at that BF%. But she may not have that much muscle base. Or she may, we haven't seen any pictures. But I agree with you that 18-low 20's is probably a pretty attainable maintenance level depending on preference and lifestyle.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that you wouldn't want to "lose fat in spot areas" if you were truly that lean.

Anything below 18% bodyfat for women and we're talking competition levels of bodyfat. We're talking visible striations in all muscles. Hell, most women lose their period and/or have hormonal repercussions of staying this lean for too long.

My guess is that whatever method you're using to measure your body fat is just plain wrong.

To answer your main question, I think anywhere in the low 20's is reasonable for women to maintain long term without any poor health consequences.

I don't see visible striations in the picture on the right up above. I think many people think of competitive bodybuilders when they think of what women look like at that BF%. But she may not have that much muscle base. Or she may, we haven't seen any pictures. But I agree with you that 18-low 20's is probably a pretty attainable maintenance level depending on preference and lifestyle.

Yea that photo on the right is most likely a woman who is close to or underweight. She has very little fat on her body and her LBM is made up mostly of skeletal, organ tissue and fluid and little muscle.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I agree that a lot of the scales and trackers estimate, nothing is 100%. However, is you feel you want to change something or lean out, then work toward that goal. Sounds like you have done a fantastic job. 16% to maintain sounds low to me to be at long term, however I am thinking in terms of my body type. Everyone is different.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I was at 16% body fat pre bulk and my thighs still had fat while my upper half was bone. So yes you can be at 16% total body fat and have problem areas. If we cut me in half my upper was sub 10% body fat while my lower was over 20%. As women our body holds fat in areas and not always where we want them to so I totally get what you mean. I am very pear shaped and uneven ascetically.

And yes i know % due to dexa scan so it is accurate. I go back in 2 weeks now a follow up. Dexa also includes sub fat near organs and everything else too so it will always be higher then calipers and other methods for fat %.

My goal is to eventually maintain an even distribution as close to 15-16% body fat, and then cut down near 12% for competitions. (that is only about a 5lb variance though at that point)

To more of your questions, I would keep lifting. Maybe cut a few pounds because I said above at the lower body fat a few pounds of fat is a big difference. It is not quick at all though.
  • BanksyTime
    BanksyTime Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Helpful info in here. Thanks!
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    Options

That's because the image above was created by someone online and isn't accurate. I'm sure you've also seen the other "body fat" visual charts, namely this one here:
    body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

I've spoken with the creator of this chart "Built Lean" who admitted they googled images and put them up there (without permission i might add form the original photographers) based on what they "think" someone of that bodyfat looks like.

Unfortunately, we don't have a dexa scan or any actual data on these women in the aforementioned photo.

Here's
    a woman without a "heavy" muscular base at 21% body fat according to a DEXA.

4oisb9wpp93p.png

In any case, It doesn't matter the level of muscle base; a woman with 16% body fat isn't going to have "problem areas". This is very lean; you can use the above image as a reference for that.

:wink:

Im a guy and 30% looks the best to me. Guess it depends how you carry your weight.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

That's because the image above was created by someone online and isn't accurate. I'm sure you've also seen the other "body fat" visual charts, namely this one here:
    body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

I've spoken with the creator of this chart "Built Lean" who admitted they googled images and put them up there (without permission i might add form the original photographers) based on what they "think" someone of that bodyfat looks like.

Unfortunately, we don't have a dexa scan or any actual data on these women in the aforementioned photo.

Here's
    a woman without a "heavy" muscular base at 21% body fat according to a DEXA.

4oisb9wpp93p.png

In any case, It doesn't matter the level of muscle base; a woman with 16% body fat isn't going to have "problem areas". This is very lean; you can use the above image as a reference for that.

:wink:

Im a guy and 30% looks the best to me. Guess it depends how you carry your weight.

I agree that as a woman I'd rather look like that than the others, mainly because they don't have much curves lol but she looks lower than 30% to me? So idk. it's the internet - it could be a bit off.