Have any advice?

Options
What are some ideas, advice, tips, tricks and techniques that you can give anyone who is just starting out to lose weight?

Replies

• ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Set your goals. Count your calories. Stay true to yourself. Breathe. You got this.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Log log log log. Before it passes your lips if at all possible. Did I mention log? Once that's habit it makes it a lot easier but you have to keep doing it through the good bad and the ugly.

Oh and don't set unrealistic expectations.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Oh and no cheating because the scale won't lie.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Set realistic goals. Perhaps make a list of things you want to work on (such as drinking more water, being active for X minutes each week, logging your food, eating X servings of vegetables) and choose 1-2 to start with. Get in the habit of logging what you eat/drink, and try to be as accurate as possible. It is not about being perfect, but about making changes to improve your overall health & wellbeing.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Do you have all your info entered into the app? The app will then dictate your calories for the day. It will also track your steps for "extra" calories burned. You may manually enter any workouts for calories burned. Make sure that you log and log accurately.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Buy a digital food scale! And use it to weigh everything that goes into your mouth! Accuracy is key.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale and weight tracking app (Libra, happyscale). It will help you stay sane when the scale is up 3 lbs for no reason at all.

The numbers don't lie.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Commit to it. It's going to be a long process that tries your patience sometimes. People often get discouraged and give up because it isn't coming off as fast as they'd like. Be patient, and commit to yourself.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Don't try to make such drastic changes that you give up in frustration. Take it one step at a time. Eat the foods you like, but eat them in portion sizes that fit your calorie goals. If you find you're hungry with your new portion sizes, bulk up those portions with lower calorie foods like vegetables and fruit.

For example, instead of just scrambled eggs for breakfast, add some mushrooms, onions, peppers and spinach to the eggs. Suddenly you've got 2-3 times as much food, but nowhere near twice as many calories.

Instead of just 1/2 cup of oatmeal, cook it with a diced apple and stir in some protein powder or egg whites to the oatmeal. Then you've got a nice big bowl of food to keep you satisfied. Add a small amount of butter or cream to help keep you satiated longer.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Temper your goals in reality. Many people get pumped and start their diet, see a 1lb or 2lb loss in a week and give up because it wasnt a one week solution to the decade long problem.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
    toxikon wrote: »
    Buy a digital food scale! And use it to weigh everything that goes into your mouth! Accuracy is key.
    Commit to it. It's going to be a long process that tries your patience sometimes. People often get discouraged and give up because it isn't coming off as fast as they'd like. Be patient, and commit to yourself.

This ^^^

Also, forget about diets and cheating and simply learn to budget your calories. Understand that you can eat anything you want and lose weight as long as you maintain a calories deficit but learning to spend your calories wisely will help to keep you satisfied. Don't get hung up on low carb or low fat or even someone's idea of whatever clean is. Just focus on balanced and nutritious and stick to your budget. If you have a big meal out coming up, save up some calories for it just like you would money for something you want to buy. Understand that just because someone offers you food doesn't obligate you to eat it. Understand that weight loss is not linear and not the same as fat loss. There will be times the scale goes up for no apparent reason. It is normal and not cause for alarm. It will eventually come back down. This is a lifelong commitment and one that is absolutely worth it, so focus on developing long term sustainable habits. It will take time but you can do this and you deserve this.
  • Raa6263
    Raa6263 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up with calories left over and no more fat grams, what can I eat that's healthy with 0 fat grams?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Raa6263 wrote: »
    I'm coming up with calories left over and no more fat grams, what can I eat that's healthy with 0 fat grams?

Not that you should hijack someone else's thread, but try nonfat Greek yogurt.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Raa6263 wrote: »

Raw fruits and veggies
    Fat free yogurt

I know there more but that's off the top of my head.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I love your name.

Remember it is not a race and will take time. As others have said use a scale and weigh your food. Have realistic goals don't expect to lose 100lbs in 3 months. Love yourself and treat your body with respect, don't creat a large deficit, don't eat in a way that makes you miserable, and don't punish yourself for going over your calories. Try to get in some cardio and weights (walking is good to start with).

Always remember there are not bad foods just vast differences in nutrition.
  • JimmyfromNYC
    JimmyfromNYC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm going Ketogenic and its working great for me.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Log everything- and I mean everything- that goes in your mouth.
    Stick to a modest deficit.
    Find some sort of exercise you love and keep doing it.
    That's it! Good luck!
  • WelaKelly
    WelaKelly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Aside from motivation, determination is the key.