I get so hungry at night!!

And I eat a big dinner I eat well already! Why am I getting so hungry at night and feel like I need to binge.... what do I do about this

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Why not eat back some of those exercise calories you have earned today?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    I want something to eat at night too, so for a while I made sure I saved enough calories to have something, like 200-300 & ate something filling, like 1/2(raw) oatmeal with fruit in it, but the weather turned warm, so I made a smoothie or had yogurt etc. but now I've been eating dinner later, around 7:30-8:00 & have a small dessert right after dinner with a big glass of tea & simply not eat anything after that because when I do, it gives me an appetite.Experiment & find what works well for you
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Eating more protein at dinner time helps me.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Why not eat back some of those exercise calories you have earned today?

I second this. You are not netting 1200 calories, your body is obviously trying to tell you something.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Go to sleep a little earlier? It's saved me a few times.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    I'm not going to make any judgements about your total calorie intake, but it looks like you're not eating enough protein. That's what I would be most concerned about, and fixing that will most likely fix your hunger problem. Cut back on the carbs at dinner and add more protein. Protein keeps you satisfied longer, but carbs give you energy for a short time and then your blood sugar drops and you're hungry again.
  • clarissavbravo
    clarissavbravo Posts: 8 Member
    Eat walnuts and almonds or have lettuce when your to hungry. It really helps
  • thatATLgirl
    thatATLgirl Posts: 60 Member
    So I'm working on this myself. I work evenings (1p-9p) so I'm definitely hungrier toward the later part of the day. I think it's easier to be hungry at work and distract myself off of it versus sitting home alone at night. So I have a snack around 4p and try to push dinner to 6p/7p... that way when I'm off I'm not so ravenous.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    How long have you been cutting your calories? I found it took a week or two for me to not feel like I was ravenous when I was going to sleep.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    I personally have 2 smaller dinners like some people have 2 lunches. First at 6 I eat a protein smoothie with spinach and blueberries and then at 8:30 I'll have tofu rolls. I love both and it's so much more satisfying!
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    I think finding an effective solution is going to depend on whether or not you can correctly identify the problem.

If this late night hunger is something new that you have started experiencing since changing the way you are eating, and it is actual physical hunger, then you might look at solutions such as changing the composition or timing of your dinner or planning for an evening snack.

If this late night hunger and desire to binge is an established pattern of behavior and is a mental desire to eat, then you are going to have to find a different solution. You may need to make changes to your evening routine in order to prevent or at least minimize the urges to binge. You might need to find some support to help you change your patterns of thinking that lead you down the path to binging.
  • masaku_88
    masaku_88 Posts: 14 Member
    If you're so hungry its difficult to fall asleep its real hunger. If the feeling goes away after 15 or so minutes its just a craving. If it doesnt go away you really should have a snack or eat larger portion at dinner.
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    sometimes thirst us mistaken for hunger, although I love late night snacks. I'm hungry in bed right now.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    sunsweet77 wrote: »

This
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    i take a sleeping pill
  • Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2017
    are you eating breakfast? how much protein are you consuming?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    When I exercise more, I get really hungry. I'll ignore it for a while, but if the gnawing doesn't go away, I'll eat something. There is no point in feeling starved and it is likely to lead to binges. I also find I can't sleep or wake up in the night if I go to bed hungry. A slice of cheese or a banana usually works for me.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    sunsweet77 wrote: »

I ended up sleeping all of Sunday away due to a depression induced breakdown and didn't feel a bit of hunger at all. It was glorious.
  • missdelainie
    missdelainie Posts: 75 Member
    Rognvaldr wrote: »
    are you eating breakfast? how much protein are you consuming?

I eat breakfast every morning the first thing I do is eat breakfast but I probably could eat more protein, I just bought protein oatmeal and have been trying it instead of my original oatmeal and it keeps me full until 1-2 ish which is really good! So more protein I need yes