Can it be any combination of the deadlift, bench press etc...

Options
kmaf2018
kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
Hi all

Ive just discovered the post "So you want to start lifting, great!" and just have a question, sorry if its been asked before!

When the OP lists the main compound movements such as Bench, Deadlift, Squat etc....can it be any type of a Bench, Deadlift and Squat? So say for example could I do a dumbell bench press, seated bench press? And for a deadlift can it be any variation such as RDL's? And squats, can it be a goblet squat squat, kettlebell squats, dumbell squats etc

Thanks all

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    As long as its challenging you, its all good....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Best to start with the basic movements.

Flat bench
    Traditional deadlift, Feet approx. shoulder width weight on the ground
    Standard Squat. Feet approx. shoulder width

As far as implement, dumbbell, barbell, Kettlebell doesn't matter.

In other words, Form first.

So---Skip Incline/decline bench, until you've mastered flat
    Deadlift/squat.. skip the wide/narrow stances.

Just MHO.
  • 2metraninja
    2metraninja Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Start with basic movements, use lower weights, try to learn and use proper form. When you get used to them, try learning alternative variants and vary them - one week bench with barbell, next with dumbbels, vary normal with front and zercher squat, etc.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    Thanks All

So I started with lower weight as opposed to the weight I ended on with my PT sesisons which ended at the end of March. I started with:

- Squats
    - Deadlifts
    - Glute Bridges
    - Bent Over Rows (reverse grip)
    - Lateral Pulldowns

I also added in some Leg Extensions, Leg Curls and Glute Machine

Your probably wondering why no Overhead Press but I've been advised by my Physio not to do these as I have tendonitis and shoulder impingement in my left shoulder, not severe and I'm getting it sorted. She suggested the Lat Pull downs, basically I'm not allowed to push any weight above my head.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    KMAF00 wrote: »
    Your probably wondering why no Overhead Press but I've been advised by my Physio not to do these as I have tendonitis and shoulder impingement in my left shoulder, not severe and I'm getting it sorted. She suggested the Lat Pull downs, basically I'm not allowed to push any weight above my head.

You can probably do dumbbell front shoulder raises and lateral shoulder raises without pain, at least with partial range-of-motion. Don't let your hands above shoulder level.

I'd replace the 3 leg machines with lunges, which train stability & coordination in a way that's lacking with squats & DLs. :+1:
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

You can probably do dumbbell front shoulder raises and lateral shoulder raises without pain, at least with partial range-of-motion. Don't let your hands above shoulder level.

I'd replace the 3 leg machines with lunges, which train stability & coordination in a way that's lacking with squats & DLs. :+1:

Second this, although I would double check with your PT. Also, I do not see and bench presses or chest exercises in your plan? Did the PT advise against this as well? There are definitely alternatives to OH press and Bench press to work these muscles. Your workout is pretty focused on the back of your body and skipping out on shoulders/chest.

Also agree with the lunges. You started off asking about the big lifts, and ended with completely leaving out two body parts and adding in a decent amount of accessory work. I would reassess.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If you're a beginner, I'd strongly encorage you to do an establidhed program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts and do it EXACTLY as it's designed.

You could do any random set of lifts of your own choosing and make SOME progress but it's going to be a very inefficient and process that is liable to yield minimal results that you will find both frustrating and discouraging.

You'll have a much better probability of sucess following an established program instead.
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    My Physio advised using the chest fly machine as opposed to bench pressing so tomorrow when I do my workout I will add these to my routine and swap the leg machines for lunges.... thanks all
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    @sgt1372 @slaite1 @Cherimoose Thanks for your replies. I'm not a beginner but by no means am I advanced, I was just told to stick with the basic but most effective compound movements such such as OH press, Bench, squats, deadlifts, bent over rows. I had a PT up until the end of March, altogether I had 28x sessions with him which was 2x a week for 30mins. His workout for me looked like this:

Workout 1
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bent over Rows
    OH press
    Core

Workout 2
    Bulgarian Split squats or Lunges
    Glute Bridges
    Assisted Pullup/Pushdowns
    Core

Now Im a bit more confident (I finally entered the weight area in my gym yesterday which was a big mile stone for me), I'm thinking maybe I should revert back to my PT's programme but do both Workout 1 and 2 together 2-3x a week as opposed to doing each workout once a week which is what I did before with my PT (mainly due to the cost and the fact I had no confidence to do it myself)

I definately have room to progress if I stick to this programme for 8 weeks! My heaviest deadlift was 60kg which was end of March!

Would this work? Is there anything you think I need to add?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    @sgt1372 @slaite1 @Cherimoose Thanks for your replies. I'm not a beginner but by no means am I advanced, I was just told to stick with the basic but most effective compound movements such such as OH press, Bench, squats, deadlifts, bent over rows. I had a PT up until the end of March, altogether I had 28x sessions with him which was 2x a week for 30mins. His workout for me looked like this:

Workout 1
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bent over Rows
    OH press
    Core

Workout 2
    Glute Bridges
    Core

Now Im a bit more confident (I finally entered the weight area in my gym yesterday which was a big mile stone for me), I'm thinking maybe I should revert back to my PT's programme but do both Workout 1 and 2 together 2-3x a week as opposed to doing each workout once a week which is what I did before with my PT (mainly due to the cost and the fact I had no confidence to do it myself)

I definately have room to progress if I stick to this programme for 8 weeks! My heaviest deadlift was 60kg which was end of March!

I like that plan but would keep the 2 workouts separate And alternate 1,2,1 one week then 2,1,2 the next. I'd probably add a horizontal push to day 2 like bench or push ups.
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    @rybo Thank you, this is what I will do then starting tomorrow.

Kel
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Workout 1
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bent over Rows
    OH press
    Core

Workout 2
    Glute Bridges
    Core

I like that plan but would keep the 2 workouts separate And alternate 1,2,1 one week then 2,1,2 the next. I'd probably add a horizontal push to day 2 like bench or push ups.

+1

Good luck!

Pay atttention to that shoulder
    Mine is still a *kitten*