Woke up discouraged. :(

Options
It'll be fine, but it's always discouraging when the scale goes the wrong way. I did everything right yesterday, too. Anyhow, I'm only a few days into my re-start here, and usually during the first week there's a kick-start effect. Then I noticed something. Past several days - maybe a couple of weeks - I've been noticing swelling in my feet and lower legs. I'm not *that* overweight - only 134-ish at 5'2", but I'm also on an anti-inflammatory prescription that my doctor recently increased due to a frozen shoulder. So, from being much more overweight in the past, I remembered edema. I hopped on the internet, and sure enough, it's a sign of a possibly bad side-effect of my current medication. And guess what - it can also cause unexplained weight gain. Hmm. Alrighty then. So, looks like I'll be calling the doctor's office as soon as they open.

Unfortunately, this medication was helping me get back into regular exercise, as it was part of my treatment for a frozen shoulder and runner's knee in both knees. Okay, well, I'm starting to age (49), so this stuff comes with the territory. Time to expand my knowledge about working out as I get older.

And I'm not giving up, by a long shot! If I need to discontinue this med, so be it, there are other forms of exercise! I'm gonna get this done! (Also feeling a little discouraged that my doctor didn't tell me this medication could cause weight gain. But - oh, well.)

Replies

• HMedina1963
    HMedina1963 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keep your chin up. your story is my story and just like may others sometimes it might feel like a setback, but positive thinking and the right attitude will help you to continue with your journey. Cheer up, you can make it. we can make it. we are here on this site because we all share a common goal. You are NOT alone.
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Feeling ticked off at doctor's office. I talked to the nurse, explained that I'm having an issue with swollen feet and calves. And then as a "by the way", also having weight gain. The call came back that I shouldn't worry about weight gain. Um... and how about the swelling in my feet? Apparently that didn't get conveyed.

This is why I hate doctors, and avoid western medicine when at all possible. Grrrr.....

I'm tempted to just toss the prescription and google natural remedies. This is how doctors lose patients - because patients lose patience! :wink:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Water weight happens. For lots of reasons. As long as you realize it's water, and not fat, roll with it.

Some of the things that can make the body retain water:

1. Medications (as you've already learned)
    2. Hormonal changes (TOM, ovulation, menopause)
    3. New exercise
    4. Flying/traveling
    5. Injuries and sunburn
    6. Ingesting more sodium than usual

Drink lots of water and shrug it off!
  • GirlGettingFit37
    GirlGettingFit37 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You're still losing fat and are ABLE to exercise more (like you said), so you're headed in the right direction. I understand wanting to lose weight, but edema weight and fat weight are two totally different monsters. On these meds, you can exercise regularly and get the cardiovascular benefits- so maybe rather than totally tossing doctors altogether, find a different doctor if yours is unwilling to listen to your concerns.
    Good luck!
  • Locolady98
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Finally got a call back, he said to discontinue the meds. So, I'll just have to be very mindful of inflammation and overuse injuries, which is sensible in any case.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Just be careful that you're not sacrificing long-term health for short-term results. That's a conversation for your doctor, not for strangers on the internet, but if it were me, I'd think seriously about whether healing my shoulder for the long-term is worth temporary water weight gain.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I had frozen shoulder last year and it's pretty miserable. My ortho gave me a shot of cortisone which really knocked the inflammation and pain down and then I went to PT for 8 weeks. The PT brought me all the way back but it took about 3 months with me doing the exercises at home and at the gym. I actually still do a modified version of shoulder rehab as a warm up at the gym to keep the shoulder well.

Just thought I'd share what worked for me to give you some ideas. Good luck with it!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Locolady98 wrote: »
    Ugh. Feeling ticked off at doctor's office. I talked to the nurse, explained that I'm having an issue with swollen feet and calves. And then as a "by the way", also having weight gain. The call came back that I shouldn't worry about weight gain. Um... and how about the swelling in my feet? Apparently that didn't get conveyed.

This is why I hate doctors, and avoid western medicine when at all possible. Grrrr.....

I'm tempted to just toss the prescription and google natural remedies. This is how doctors lose patients - because patients lose patience! :wink:

These can be symptoms of many life threatening things, probably the scariest being congestive heart failure, but can also be a sign of low blood pressure, very high blood sugar or even renal disease. It might not be wise to skip conventional medicine. You might really want to follow up.

it "Could" be nothing (just some bloating and inflammation), but it could also be much worse. Take care of yourself OP!
  • JustDeke
    JustDeke Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    These can be symptoms of many life threatening things, probably the scariest being congestive heart failure, but can also be a sign of low blood pressure, very high blood sugar or even renal disease. It might not be wise to skip conventional medicine. You might really want to follow up.

it "Could" be nothing (just some bloating and inflammation), but it could also be much worse. Take care of yourself OP!
    This is very true. I was experiencing and ignoring swelling in my legs and feet for months. Then I ended up in an ambulance. Turns out it was early warning signs to A-Fib and heart failure. I'm good now, but I wish I'd been more relentless in discovering the cause. Like geocitiesuser says, it may be nothing, but best not to risk it.

Take care!

• Locolady98
    Options
    Thanks guys. I did have them follow up, and I re-emphasized the edema. The advice came back to just discontinue the meds, and then let them know if the edema continues.

As to the frozen shoulder - yeah. It really sucks. It's my second one in about 10 years, (the other one this time), so I know the drill. Luckily, I remember most of the exercises I did in PT last time. Unfortunately, I don't have very good health insurance, so I can't afford PT. But my doctor gave me a cortisone shot for it a month or so ago, and then printed out a list of exercises, and I've been doing them - mainly stretching. It's getting better, slowly but surely. I think the main benefit of PT would be someone really keeping me accountable to do the exercises, so I have to try and be accountable on my own.

All of this is coinciding with perimenopause, so hormonal changes are definitely in the mix. All the more reason for me to be mindful of healthy food choices and good exercise habits.