Any athlete who's going to compete ?

Options

Replies

• burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Does an amateur boxing match in August count ?
    Lol
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Lol

Moreso than a bodybuilding comp, yes :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Lol

Interesting. Why would a bodybuilder not be an athlete and a bodybuilding competition not be a competition? I mean, it's not like you can exercise for a few months and be a bodybuilder. Bikini maybe, but not bodybuilding.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Lol

Interesting. Why would a bodybuilder not be an athlete and a bodybuilding competition not be a competition? I mean, it's not like you can exercise for a few months and be a bodybuilder. Bikini maybe, but not bodybuilding.

A bodybuilder is an athlete in the gym, and a bodybuilding competition is a competition.... But I don't think it's a sporting competition, based upon skill. The results are based upon a few judges opinions what they think is an ideal physique, not on your athletic capabilities... The actual competition part is largely a dieting competition.
  • usmcmp
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lol

A bodybuilder is an athlete in the gym, and a bodybuilding competition is a competition.... But I don't think it's a sporting competition, based upon skill. The results are based upon a few judges opinions what they think is an ideal physique, not on your athletic capabilities... The actual competition part is largely a dieting competition.

There are some pretty well spelled out standards for the physique in a bodybuilding competition. The actual bodybuilding category isn't very subjective. The others are relatively subjective. I would say that spending years building a body to specific standards is a skill and displays athletic capabilities. Then getting that lean without losing the muscle is a skill. Even more so in natural competitions.

Amateur boxing requires someone own or borrow boxing gloves and be willing to step into a ring. That's not a skill. I'm not saying the previous person isn't an athlete because I don't know his background.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    My events are timed ... must be completed within a certain time ... but not competitions. :)
  • burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say for the record ...
    ... what I'm doing is in no way more physical than the months of training that body builders go through.

There are literally three tryout days ... then a match bracket... it is designed for amateurs... not "aspiring boxers" or anything.

All respect to everyone's chosen endeavor.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am a swimmer. Lake swim season is coming up.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I have to get back on competitive eating.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I just wanted to say for the record ...
    ... what I'm doing is in no way more physical than the months of training that body builders go through.

There are literally three tryout days ... then a match bracket... it is designed for amateurs... not "aspiring boxers" or anything.

All respect to everyone's chosen endeavor.

And major props to you for going out there and doing it! I hope it goes well for you!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I compete in tae kwon do sparring 3-4 times a year. Usually my two local intramurals, governors cup, and states. Never went to nationals but im not fantastic anyway :)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    To answer the OP: I compete in bodybuilding and powerlifting. I have two powerlifting meets this summer and a bodybuilding competition (possibly two) in the fall.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    AmaliaLav wrote: »
    :#

What about you OP?

I'm too old and unfit to compete in anything but I love to compete against myself all the time. I enter races of varying lengths and try to beat the time from the time before.

I'm so in awe of people who are the top of the fields in which they compete.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm preparing to bike the Katy Trail in Missouri in about a week. 240 miles in about 4 days.
  • HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Im kinda a beer league legend
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Lol

There are some pretty well spelled out standards for the physique in a bodybuilding competition. The actual bodybuilding category isn't very subjective. The others are relatively subjective. I would say that spending years building a body to specific standards is a skill and displays athletic capabilities. Then getting that lean without losing the muscle is a skill. Even more so in natural competitions.

Amateur boxing requires someone own or borrow boxing gloves and be willing to step into a ring. That's not a skill. I'm not saying the previous person isn't an athlete because I don't know his background.

Clearly you've never competed in any kind of combat sport...
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lol

Clearly you've never competed in any kind of combat sport...

Yeah, combat sports are highly skilled, and have lots of rules. Sometimes an amateur can go into a fighting match and "muscle their way through", but in almost all cases the person trained in the art (whether it's boxing, BJJ, TKD, or whatever) is going to have a huge advantage.

Combat sports, boxing included, are a lightening fast chess match where instead of losing a game piece you feel pain. :)

I am MFP friends with the boxer above and know for certain he is training hard just as any athlete would.
  • HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Amateur boxing can be anything where you are wearing protective head gear. Olympic boxing is amateur boxing. State Golden Gloves champions are amateur boxers. One you are sactioned by professional organizations and remove the head gear you begin a professional record.
  • Jus_gem
    Jus_gem Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yep, regularly. I train and compete in Bjj and after about 6months low training and focusing on other things like work, I'm now back at it. I like to have a comp booked in every month or so it keeps me on track!
  • Jus_gem
    Jus_gem Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    AmaliaLav wrote: »
    :#

What about you OP?

I'm too old and unfit to compete in anything but I love to compete against myself all the time. I enter races of varying lengths and try to beat the time from the time before.

I'm so in awe of people who are the top of the fields in which they compete.

This isn't true, you are never too old, training will make you fitter. Take up Brazilian Jujitsu. I know people who started and now compete that are over 50 I know amputees and blind people that compete. The only limits are those you set, give it a go.