Iron ideas?

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
Found out today my iron level is way too low (literally .1 away from needing a transfusion). Any one have some good suggestions about how to increase my iron intake? Must be gluten, wheat,barley and oat free.

Replies

• jamiebeasley1
    jamiebeasley1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mega Food Blood Builder. I had low iron for years and of all the many things I tried, including infusions, this was the only thing that helped.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This isn't fun... I remember when I had low iron and had to force feed myself beef and lamb spleen. It was traumatizing until I just opted for injections (which I know may not be an option for you). Are you sure you don't know an iron supplement you're not allergic to?
  • elphie754
    Options
    Mega Food Blood Builder. I had low iron for years and of all the many things I tried, including infusions, this was the only thing that helped.

Will look it up.
    This isn't fun... I remember when I had low iron and had to force feed myself beef and lamb spleen. It was traumatizing until I just opted for injections (which I know may not be an option for you). Are you sure you don't know an iron supplement you're not allergic to?

I do know of a iron supplement I can take, and have been taking it religiously but guess it's not enough.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Cook everything in cast-iron. Especially acid foods like tomatoes, and long cooking foods like soups. The iron is leached out of the cookware. Believe me, it works!
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Steak!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Steak!

Unfortunately, steak doesn't have as much iron as some offal. Trust me, I tried very hard to eat steak back when I needed iron (I don't like it) then decided to stop trying and go for ground beef (I can tolerate it, and it's essentially the same meat) but neither was enough.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils contain iron. As do Yves veggie dogs. (Probably other brands, too, but I buy Yves).
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    This can give you some idea of what you can eat. Just make sure to eat some vitamin c with your plant based iron and you're good to go.
    iron-foods-printable-list.jpg
    https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Chicken livers are my friend.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My daughter (25) takes this: https://www.amazon.com/Mineral-Supplement-Blueberries-beneficial-antioxidants/dp/B01EYVRK08/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1496756558&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+iron

It is not certified Gluten Free (yet) but the owner states on Amazon that both his/her children have celiac and take it. No gluten containing ingredients are used but they have not applied for certification.

Anyway, it seems to work well and tastes good too.

I can tell you though, if you are THAT close to needing an infusion, it is very difficult to bring your levels up at this point. Especially if you cannot stop the source of the low iron, such as heavy periods. It really depends on what is causing it as to how well a supplement will work for you.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I've been hospitalized for anemia. I just take supplements.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Spinach, kale, check out this link: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/manage/ptc-20266647, I used to take iron supplements prescribed from my doctor as I have suffered many years from low iron, also try and reduce caffine as caffiene strips away vitamin A that helps retain iron, also Marmite or yeast extraction perhaps... thinly spread on toast or mixed into a caserole or soup etc... trying to think what else, a multivitamin would be good to look into once you get a good amount of iron into your system... but I would see if the doctors have some iron supplements they can give you, hope everything works out for you.
  • Shibanut
    Shibanut Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lucky Iron Fish
    Add to soups and you can boil water to drink as well.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Spinach, kale, check out this link: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/manage/ptc-20266647, I used to take iron supplements prescribed from my doctor as I have suffered many years from low iron, also try and reduce caffine as caffiene strips away vitamin A that helps retain iron, also Marmite or yeast extraction perhaps... thinly spread on toast or mixed into a caserole or soup etc... trying to think what else, a multivitamin would be good to look into once you get a good amount of iron into your system... but I would see if the doctors have some iron supplements they can give you, hope everything works out for you.

There is not much iron in spinach. FYI Also Spinach has Oxalic Acid which naturally binds with minerals like calcium and iron, making them harder for the body to absorb.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Steak!

Unfortunately I am not a big red meat eater. Never really have been.
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    This can give you some idea of what you can eat. Just make sure to eat some vitamin c with your plant based iron and you're good to go.
    iron-foods-printable-list.jpg
    https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php

Thank you!
    Chicken livers are my friend.

I can't stand the smell of chicken livers so will likely never eat it.
  • elphie754
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    My daughter (25) takes this: https://www.amazon.com/Mineral-Supplement-Blueberries-beneficial-antioxidants/dp/B01EYVRK08/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1496756558&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+iron

It is not certified Gluten Free (yet) but the owner states on Amazon that both his/her children have celiac and take it. No gluten containing ingredients are used but they have not applied for certification.

Anyway, it seems to work well and tastes good too.

I can tell you though, if you are THAT close to needing an infusion, it is very difficult to bring your levels up at this point. Especially if you cannot stop the source of the low iron, such as heavy periods. It really depends on what is causing it as to how well a supplement will work for you.

Will look into it.

I had been prescribed an iron supplement but it contained red dye #40 so I can't take it.