Ways to fight the Dairy Queen Urge?

Options

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    ew a vanilla cone? you can tell you are on a diet. lol Just have a small cone and savor it. Just dont go over your calories by eating it so skip your other snacks. I snack 1 or 2 times a day. it is okay.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I usually say yes, then have the food I'm craving and feel horribly gross and ill and then don't crave it again. :smile:

I had a DQ Blizzard as consolation when the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup and my city erupted into riots (STRESS EATING AHOY!), and I actually got quite ill from it. As in, was still paying for it the next day. Not going to have THAT craving again for a long time. :laugh:

Otherwise, this is how I usually approach it...it overlaps with what others have said in this thread:

-wait 1 week and see if I still want it
    -get a smaller size
    -count the calories
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I second getting McDonald's small vanilla cone. It is really good and doesn't put a big hurt on your calories. I went to DQ last night because I had a buy one get one free Blizzard coupon. So I had over 500 cals left over but wanted to look up the calories online before I went. Well DQ's nutrional value chart lists the serving size in grams first so most were around 300 and I thought that was the calories! I was like oh thats not too bad! So I get a small Oreo Blizzard and when I went to log it last night I realized it was over 500 calories! I couldn't believe I misread that lol oh well. Just look at the calories and it'll make you stay away!
  • kbrown761
    kbrown761 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight while still enjoying my occasional DQ cone or (mini) blizzard. You just allow for it...maybe exercise a little longer or eat a little less at lunch and dinner...it's all about EVERYTHING in moderation. I wont ever say I CAN'T have something because that will set me up for failure every time. Now every day might be a problem but a trip to DQ once in awhile wont kill you....it's life and these are lifestyle changes we're trying to make. Good luck
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Try a McDonald's $1 Vanilla Cone. It is only about 150 cals.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

I once read a post on here from a woman saying she turned to cereal and cold milk when she craved ice cream. I think that is a great idea-- sweet, a little bit of nutritional value, and cold! Make sure you read the serving size carefully-- some of them are as small as 1/2 a cup!
  • barnettbest
    Options
    Have the smallest cone there. If you deprive yourself long enough of a craving then you will go overboard. Just plan the calories into your day. Exercise a little more afterwards to make it all balance out.:flowerforyou:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Have the smallest cone there. If you deprive yourself long enough of a craving then you will go overboard. Just plan the calories into your day.

Exactly. Getting to a healthy weight isn't about dieting and depriving. It is about learning how to live with food like a normal person.

Plan the calories for the smallest size available, then enjoy every last bite of that cone with zero guilt!
  • lambchop1042
    lambchop1042 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    is there a TCBY near you? Fro-yo, all the way.... it's so much better for you! Less calorie dense, and de-lic-ious!
    If you get a small cup (usually around 120 cals) you can even splurge a little and get a 1/2 oz mix-in which I find similar to McFlurries or Blizzards. A 1/2 oz scoop of chocolate brownies adds about 80 cals for a total of 200 cals!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

This. I have them often. And you can get a HUGE Diet Dr. Pepper for a $1 as well...... Not that I would ::cough, cough:: diet soda is evil...
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Yar..I agree. I had one a couple of days ago. Super yummy and low on the cal train.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    It's OK to have DQ once in a while. Just don't order the large strawberry oreo blizzard or something like that. Get the mini blizzard.

Sometimes I go to McDonald's because their Icecream cones are only 150 calories. NOT BAD.

edit: DURN IT. Missed the above suggestion.
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I used to have DQ about once a week....unitl, I found out from an employee that they don't clean out the ice cream machines like they should. Now, I can't stomach it, yuck. That's how I fight my DQ urge! haha
  • VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    Options
    I get the sugar free, orange creamsicles at the grocery store. They are 80 calories and really help when I have a sweet tooth. Now that I know about the McDonald's ice cream though......
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I used to have DQ about once a week....unitl, I found out from an employee that they don't clean out the ice cream machines like they should. Now, I can't stomach it, yuck. That's how I fight my DQ urge! haha

Depends on the DQ you go too...I KNOW that is not the situatuion at the DQ in our town!
  • sara_rose
    sara_rose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can pass up almost anything (and I have a nasty sweet tooth) but I absolutely CANNOT say no to ice cream . It is my kryptonite. I no exactly how hard this battle is. I still have ice cream, but not every night like before and only like a 1/2 cup or so. It is just enough to take away the ice cream craving. Good luck! :smile:
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Just go little! Dilly bar, kids cone, small sundae....... and save your calories for it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If you tell yourself you CAN'T have it, you will only want it more. Plus, if you deny yourself a small vanilla ice cream you might cave in later and order a large triple chocolate blizzard....would you rather have 150 calories now or 800 ( a guess) later???
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I get So Delicious Minis and keep them in the freezer, 100 calories for a bar.
    Or I go to a fro yo shop and get a small serving (and split it with my hubby or my kidlet), and I try to top it mainly with fruit and berries

If it's really a DQ thing you want, get it, eat a few bites and then throw it away as soon as it stops tasting EXCELLENT, which is ususally a few bites in (just the taste is enough, I don't need to eat the whole serving).

Work it into you day once or twice a month, if you want to. This is a lifestyle not a diet. Eat treats, just not all the time.

Try Bahama Bucks (if you have one near you)- they have a skinny ice thing that is sweetened with stevia and is supposedly 0 calories.... I keep waiting to be on the side of town where ours is to try it. If you want the cold, you really can't beat that.
  • pearlymae
    pearlymae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Healty Choice full size fudge bars are my life saver, 100 caloris, well worth it.:flowerforyou:
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Try on a pair of pants you are trying to get into. Whatever size I have been as I was losing, I always had a pair of jeans I was trying to make it into. Too big a gap between the button and the hole (or even worse, when I couldn't even get them over me *kitten* and pulled all the way up) and I would think..If I eat that I'm never going to get there. Just a tiny space between the button and the hole and I would think...I'm almost there, why blow it now.