The scale just STOPPED.

alloen
alloen Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, my name is Alec. I am 5'11" & 176 lbs. For a while I have been eating 1600 calories a day to lose fat, I do cardio 30 minutes a day and lift weights 5x a week, and for a while I was losing weight, and then these past few weeks my scale has just been stuck at 176! I'm here busting my butt 5x a week and I feel like it's for nothing. Now I am eating 1900 calories a day because I feel like my deficit may have been too big, but I'm not really sure. But I will gladly take any advice from anyone on how to starting losing weight again. Thank you!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    How are you measuring your intake?
  • alloen
    edited June 2017
    Only about 3 weeks. But I track every single meal so I know I'm definitely not going over. I make every meal myself and I measure everything perfectly.
  • alloen
    @malibu927 Everything I eat has all of the nutritional information on the back.
  • brasda91
    brasda91 Posts: 17 Member
    Did you measure your body with a tailors tape prior to beginning? The scale is ok, but use it in conjunction with measuring your body. You could be losing fat and replacing it with muscle.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    alloen wrote: »
    @malibu927 Everything I eat has all of the nutritional information on the back.

You eat everything out of a packet? What about fresh foods, Meat, fruit,veggies?

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Most likely you're eating more than you think. Raising your calories isn't a good idea (although 1600 is pretty low).
    I disagree about raising calories, assuming he is actually counting accurately which is a big assumption. I am only 5 pounds heavier and 2 inches shorter and 1600 is definitely too low. I would definitely lose on 1900 without any exercise at all.

OP, are you eating back exercise calories? If so, you may be overestimating them. If not and you really aren't losing, you are definitely eating more than 1900 calories. How much were you losing at 1600?
  • alloen
    @Chadxx Only like a pound a week.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited June 2017
    My scale essentially stopped for a week or two. (I was losing and regaining the same six ounces over and over--no progression.) It was very frustrating. Then, I lost 1 pound a day, three days in a row. And it stayed off. So sometimes it boils down to weight loss not being linear. Keep on keeping on!
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    It's pretty normal to hit a stall after a while. It's time to mix it up a bit. Have a re-feed day here and there and make up with a higher deficit on other days. Shake up your metabolism a bit. Try this:
    3 days a week 1600 cal, 2 days 1300, 2 days 1900 (This is best on weekends I find). If it doesn't start going down after a few weeks of this, bump each number down 100 cal. Often times as we lose weigh we stop burning as much through the day because we are no longer spending calories lugging around the extra weight. :wink:
    1700 cal a day use to have me losing weight and now it's maintenance for me.
  • TomSWalker
    TomSWalker Posts: 13 Member
    Someone else mentioned "eating back the calories". One of the things MyFitnessPal does is add on any exercised calories back to your food allowance.... so in other words if you burn 200cals on a jog, MFP will boost your food allowance from 1600 to 1800 for that day. You might be able to switch this off in settings. I personally just don't add any of my exercise to MFP. I think it's important to keep logs, especially if you're lifting weights, but I use a cheap paper journal for that (I find trying to use a touchscreen when I'm sweating is outright impossible).

This "eating back calories" point is a very good one and something that you should check to see if it was the problem.
  • TomSWalker
    TomSWalker Posts: 13 Member

LOL - you really think he is gaining 1-2 lbs of muscle per week while eating at a deficit? funny how people think that is the issue - as opposed to the logging problems OP has already admitted to.

The numbers were more to illustrate a point, rather than to be accurate, but you're correct based on what I posted.

Main points are: 1) 1600cals/day is aggressive at his weight/height and he should be losing fat if he's keeping to those numbers. 2) He should increase his calories if he wants to add muscle mass. 3) If he's trying to lose and gain at the same time (which I agree is difficult, but not impossible - see P90X for examples), then the scale isn't as reliable as actual measurements taken at various places on the body. 4) If he wants to check his fat loss, calipers are much better than a bathroom scale.