5'6 woman, Over 220lbs - when did u see a difference?

Options
Hi all, :flowerforyou:

Im 5'6 and started MFP at 223lbs.... I have since lost 24lbs (yay) but cant see any difference at all. I know the bigger you are the longer it takes to notice but i was just wondering on average what weight will i need to get to before i can see a change?

Im not expecting to look like a supermodel, but when i look at some peoples before and after pics, i thnk they have done amazing but im nowhere near!! :sad:

I was hopeing to see a difference when i have lost about 30lbs....is that about right??

Please help if u can! :happy:

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm 6,0 and didn't notice until I had lost over 60 lbs starting from well over 300 (actually close to 400 at one time).

I would say you are probably about right on your estimate. Sometimes it takes a bit for the inches to catch up with the weight loss. Do you do situps, crunches, or other exercises that work the core?
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking pictures all along ? I bet the differences are there but you can't see them yet while other people can. I know I can see it in other people but not myself. Also the tape measure tells alot! If you have taken measurements you would see what is going on even if it does not seem like anything has to you yet. I started at 224 have lost 9 pounds and noone has noticed yet. I know that is a bit disappointing because I really want someone to say what are you doing? you look fantastic! but i have been measuring and the numbers are moving so I know there are changes. Hang in there and maybe start taking pictures so you can see it.
    Mary
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a little taller than you but I started at 238lb have lost 18 kilo I think that is about 40 lb and I have only had one person (other than family)notice the weight I've lost. I still haveabout 15 kilo (33lb?) to go.
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I havent taken any pics yet!! Maybe i should... I just nervous about doing it....im not the most "body confident" person!!!

Iv been exercising well, especially this last week or so. So lets say about 40lbs for people to see a change?

16lbs more until i get there!!!

Thanks for your replies guys xx
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I havent taken any pics yet!! Maybe i should... I just nervous about doing it....im not the most "body confident" person!!!

Iv been exercising well, especially this last week or so. So lets say about 40lbs for people to see a change?

16lbs more until i get there!!!

Thanks for your replies guys xx

You will be very sorry if you don't take pictures, I know I am.

Let me add that it takes about two weeks for any exercise to show up either in weight lost or inches lost. That's my theory anyway. Think of it as an investment.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am 5"6 and started at 242lbs. I have lost 11lbs, and can see a massive difference. None of my clothes fit anymore, and my shape is changing due to the workouts.

I have lost 5 inches round my waist.

I bet you have lost, but havent even realised it. Are you measuring yourself as well. Take photos, as I bet you will be able to notice a change!
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am not the most body confident person either so I know what you mean. But the pics can be private.:wink: I know mine will be. I want to take them in just bra and panties cause that look in the mirror is what triggered this adventure to start with.
    I say 40 pounds and someone will notice for sure! They may have already and don't want to mention it yet?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", started at 235 and am just now seeing a difference at 33 lbs. down. I've finally created a new hole in which to cinch by belt. Felt like it was taking forever so I feel ya! But you really are getting there so keep your patience. That's an amazing loss. Congrats!
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I do suggest taking pictures as well! I hate doing it but i so wish now I would have taken one when I first started. And am glad I have since. I still after losing almost 50 pounds will look in the mirror and not see a difference. But when I look at the first pictures I took(which were 20 pounds down) to now I can see a major difference in them. And it helps motivate me as well. I also agree the measuring tape is a wonderful thing to use as well. Especially if I don't lose for a week or two the measuring tape actually will. There's been times where I haven't lost for weeks but lost 6+ inches. Another good way to tell is how your clothes are fitting. If your having to wear a belt to keep your pants up or are pulling them up all the time, or if your shirts are getting looser. I love that feeling!!
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 5'7 and started at 271lbs I'm now at 221lbs I have a comparison photo in my profile, I probably started to notice a difference around 30lbs lost. I know I shouldn't think this way but I used to get discouraged when people didn't notice but as soon as I got some new clothes that fitted everyone noticed lol.

Well done with you weight loss so far

Katy
  • JulyHummingbird
    JulyHummingbird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started at 242 lbs. It took about 40 lbs before people really started noticing and that's because my face had slimmed down so much. I also replaced my glasses with contacts. It's funny, most people didn't really notice 'what' was different, just that I seemed different.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I lose in the areas I care least about first (neck, shoulders, arms, and face). I notice differences there pretty fast, so pay attention to those areas in starting photos vs "now". Or maybe you're someone who loses in the legs and butt first....or just the belly and back (lucky ducks).

It just depends on your body type. I'm short waisted, but long-legged, so my legs and butt don't look very fat no matter what, but 5 extra pounds shows on my belly.

Look in unexpected places and using photos REALLY helps identify them. Also old clothes that are/were too small works well when trying them on periodically a seeing if there's "less muffin top", "more leg room".....etc. That's what I do when I think I look ther same.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I started at 221 and noticed a big difference after 10lbs. Now at 30 lost, it's very noticeable. I am 5'7", 189.
    rzg0k5do3x23.jpg
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,267 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nicola1944 wrote: »
    Hi all, :flowerforyou:

Im 5'6 and started MFP at 223lbs.... I have since lost 24lbs (yay) but cant see any difference at all. I know the bigger you are the longer it takes to notice but i was just wondering on average what weight will i need to get to before i can see a change?

Im not expecting to look like a supermodel, but when i look at some peoples before and after pics, i thnk they have done amazing but im nowhere near!! :sad:

I was hopeing to see a difference when i have lost about 30lbs....is that about right??

Please help if u can! :happy:

I am your height, I have lost most of my weight before and then re gained it .. I'm currently losing it again *sigh*

I never noticed a change in my body ever (my husband did) .. from my highest "logged" weight 212 lbs to mu lowest 155 lbs, before I started to re gain ... I still could still only see "big me" .... however ... I took pictures .. and they got me over that issue ... take a pic right now of your body (from the back, front and side view) .. in a swimsuit, underware or better still naked (its only for you, no one ever needs to see it) then every 10 lbs take another ... you will start to see the changes through this photographic diary, even if you don't see changes from one photo to the next you will see it from the first pic to the last.

I have the body type that loses weight from everywhere at the same time, so its extremely difficult to see changes :)

My profile photo, 155lbs ... I saw fat (i don't see fat when I look at it now) but I did at the time .. my husband took this photo of me to prove to me my body had changed.

Keep up the good work .. the changes will happen even if you can't see them :)

• geraldiopal
    geraldiopal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a little taller than you (5'9) but when I started my journey Nov 5, I was 220lbs...I've lost 46 lbs so far....believe it or not I've only had a handful of people notice ....maybe others have and just dont want to say anything??? I personally notice it in places like my face and my back...but id much rather have it gone from my stomach **sighs** but nonetheless I do feel better and thats really all that matters.....congrats on the weight loss :)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Take a picture once a week. It really helps.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm a little taller than you (5'9) but when I started my journey Nov 5, I was 220lbs...I've lost 46 lbs so far....believe it or not I've only had a handful of people notice ....maybe others have and just dont want to say anything??? I personally notice it in places like my face and my back...but id much rather have it gone from my stomach **sighs** but nonetheless I do feel better and thats really all that matters.....congrats on the weight loss :)

I guarantee they notice. You probably know people who aren't comfortable saying anything for fear of being rude.

As to the OP: I noticed I felt better at about 20 lbs (I started at 270). Other people didn't really notice I'd lost weight until I hit 200 (and probably not coincidentally dropped under "obese"). I seriously suspect people have mental weight categories that go like this:

really fat
    fat
    pudgy
    normal
    fit/hot
    skinny
    starving

These categories would roughly, but not exactly, correspond to

morbidly obese (really fat)
    obese (fat)
    overweight (pudgy)
    healthy (normal, fit/hot, skinny)
    underweight (starving)

With some variance between individuals' ideas of what all that is.

The point is I don't think people could see the difference in me between 270 and 200 because I was just "fat" to them. Does that make sense? But they seem to notice when people slip between those vague mental categories that the mind constructs.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicola! Meet up with a friend you have not seen for six months and I bet they will notice... I am 22 lbs down and am starting to get some very encouraging comments. I have a long way to go.. Everyday I look in the mirror I can't see it but it is noticeable that my clothes are getting looser. And some holiday clothes I could not get into last year now fit! I started at 250 lbs approx and now at 226. I will be so thrilled to get to 200 but it will take time...
  • M0nay07
    M0nay07 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    moe7i1y9c68y.png

225 to 185 and i am 5'6

How long did it take?