How much does sugar intake *really* matter?

Options
So I'm curious on other people's thoughts on this. How close of attention do you pay to sugar intake and why? My goal per MFP is 72g per day, but lately I've been getting more like 90-110g per day. Some of that is naturally occurring as I try to get my fruit and veggies in daily, but I also typically have a daily Clif Bar for breakfast and a square or two of chocolate for a treat. I'm losing weight just fine (actually faster than expected), so I'm not too worried about any effect on weight loss as my calories still put me in deficit. I guess I'm wondering if there are any other health reasons to make more of an effort to cut back on sugar? My goal is improved health, not just weight loss. My diary is open if anyone has any suggestions. Or if there are no major reasons to cut back (let's be honest, I'm hoping this is the case!), I will gladly continue to enjoy my current yummy treats.

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't pre-diabetic or diabetic and the sugar you are consuming is not intensifying cravings, you're good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are in your calories and not struggling, and eating a nutritious diet with adequate protein and vegetables and healthy fats, I don't think it matters, especially if a lot of the sugar is from whole foods.
  • havronab
    havronab Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not diabetic and no issues with cravings. So that's good. I wonder how/why the recommended intake is set as it is. I feel like I don't eat *that much* sugary stuff, but I guess it adds up quickly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have a medical issue, I don't think sugar is an issue at all.

Sugar (like other tasty things) can be a problem if it causes us to exceed our calorie goals or it crowds out the foods we need to meet our nutritional needs. Other than that, I think it is unfairly stigmatized.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't. If you have a medical reason to restrict sugar (diabetes is the obvious one that springs to mind, though not the only one), that's one thing. Otherwise, I don't pay attention to it at all. My iron intake is more of a concern; that's borderline, so I switched out sugar tracking for iron tracking.

The only thing I can think of is that when sugar and fat are combined, as in baked goods, they can be harder to resist and take up more daily calories than you might like, while not filling you up as much as other foods. That doesn't mean you have to eliminate them. It sounds like you can eat one Cliff bar without finishing the box at one sitting, limit yourself to a square or two of chocolate without eating a whole bar. As long as you're able to moderate your portion sizes, there's nothing wrong with sweets.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's 15% of calories.

MFP cannot currently distinguish between added sugar and inherent sugar, because of how labels are set up (that may change). Thus, rather than using the lower recommendation of 10% or less for added sugar, it has a higher overall recommendation that may not work for people who eat a lot of whole foods with sugar, who prefer fruits to starches, for example, or who have a higher carb diet.

One thing some people do is switch out sugar for fiber and figure that if they are within their carbs and over their fiber they can't be too high on less nutrient foods with sugar.
  • havronab
    Options
    As long as you don't have a medical issue, I don't think sugar is an issue at all.

Sugar (like other tasty things) can be a problem if it causes us to exceed our calorie goals or it crowds out the foods we need to meet our nutritional needs. Other than that, I think it is unfairly stigmatized.

I think that's where my confusion comes from. So many would have you believe that sugar is evil, and so many people cut it out all together, so I assumed there would be some good reasons for this.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    havronab wrote: »

I think that's where my confusion comes from. So many would have you believe that sugar is evil, and so many people cut it out all together, so I assumed there would be some good reasons for this.

People thought the same about fat in the 90s. There weren't good reasons for it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a pure carb and doesn't contain any other nutrients. Many call it 'empty' calories for that reason, though it's useful as a quick burst of energy if you're working out (and it tastes so darn good!) Besides that? Fat doesn't really taste like much on its own, but it sort of enhances the palatability of already-sweet foods, so the sweetness gets the blame? On some level, many people believe that success HAS to come with suffering, so if it tastes good it can't be good for you?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I get it. Some people find it easier to stay in a deficit when they limit added sugar (or even sugar in foods like fruit or grains) because they find it easy to over-eat those foods. And those foods are often calorie-dense so it can feel easier to stay in a deficit when you limit or avoid them. Also, some people find that when they have foods with sugar, they have more cravings for sugar. If you're one of those people, it may be worth trying it to see what works best for you.

But for me, what works best is just focusing on my calorie goal and meeting my nutritional needs. Some days that will include more foods with sugar.

The best way is the way that makes it easiest for you to hit your calorie goal, whether that includes limiting added sugar, limiting any food with sugar, or ignoring the sugar completely.
  • havronab
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's 15% of calories.

MFP cannot currently distinguish between added sugar and inherent sugar, because of how labels are set up (that may change). Thus, rather than using the lower recommendation of 10% or less for added sugar, it has a higher overall recommendation that may not work for people who eat a lot of whole foods with sugar, who prefer fruits to starches, for example, or who have a higher carb diet.

One thing some people do is switch out sugar for fiber and figure that if they are within their carbs and over their fiber they can't be too high on less nutrient foods with sugar.

Thanks, @lemurcat12 That's helpful. I just went through and did some math and more than half of my sugar comes from my fruits/veggies/milk, so I'm probably okay. I don't really want to give up my few daily indulgences, and it doesn't sound like there are any compelling reasons to do so.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I have no medical issues relevant to sugar and my diet is reasonably balanced, so I don't even track it.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'd say the problem with sugar is it's in a lot of food, more than ever. Sugar gets us to eat more, whether it's more sugary processed foods or natural foods. I has an impact on if you have a sugar crash (traditionally the 3pm slump). I know if I have a sugary food sometimes, especially if it's a processed sugar, I will want more food later to keep that satisfied.

I just met with my nutritionist yesterday and she said for women, we should aim to have no more than 25g of sugar daily. She suggested I switch to berries on a rice cake with almond butter rather than a banana.

Sugar can have an impact on your liver. Your body is constantly working to process sugar as you eat and if you eat too much, it works to keep up. Just ask someone who is diabetic. It runs in my family.

Food manufactures add sugar to food that doesn't need it, like those pre cooked chicken roasts you find at the store. Never did I think they add sugar, but lo and be hold, they do. No wonder it tastes so good (Costco and Safeway come to mind) and makes me want to keep eating.

In short, sugar I would say is something to be mindful of and to try to reduce processed foods. I'll say it's quite telling when you reduce your sugar in take, even high sugar fruit, juices, processed food, etc., and see how your body feels. I know I've then craved sugar in whatever form and it takes a while to get used to it. My body will have got used to whatever source of sugar I was eating and the craving get stronger. I'm assuming withdrawal like an alcoholic or drug addict. The addiction to sugar is very real and a problem with our culture today.

Anywho, I'm going to do the best I can to reduce my sugar intake and treat myself once in a while to a treat. I will say it feels really nice having energy all day and not crashing halfway through the day. It's a process to say the least but worth a try.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I find it more useful to track Fiber than Sugar.

I do limit baked goods and increased fruit, as the latter has far less calories.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Totally this!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I deleted sugar and replaced it with fibre. Sugar is only a subset of carbs after all so it's a bit pointless unless you have some specific need to do so.

I just concentrated on a well balanced, nutritious and enjoyable diet within my calorie allowance.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to sugar in my diet because I'm not diabetic or have any reason to. But that's just me, I'm not a nutritionist.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

A lot of people are black and white/good and bad thinkers...A health organization warns about over-consumption of something and automatically a lot of people think they need to cut it out entirely when in reality there's this whole middle area between over-consuming and eliminating...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

most of the reasons are pseudo science and woo woo, or people peddling BS books and products..

sugar can be a part of an overall health diet that is meeting macro and micro requirements. What matters is context and dosage.