Healthy things to eat at lunch

Options
Hi guys,

The time has come for me to get fit again (and hopefully stay that way this time) as my beautiful wife is having our 3rd child and I have found that it is massively helpful being fit and healthy when you have a new born baby to look after.
Im really struggling with healthy foods to eat at lunchtime. I work opposite a Tesco so the options are endless but I have no idea what to choose. Any ideas?
Thanks
G

Replies

• kathykatkitty
    kathykatkitty Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    During this time of the year I enjoyed green salad since it's so warm outside you can chill them and put them in a container and you're good to go. My favorite is quinoa Greek salad Kalamata olives feta cheese tomatoes cucumbers red onions and an Italian salad dressing of your choice.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Personally I find that eating protein tends to keep me satiated longer, so for lunch lately I've been making chicken sandwiches. Canned chicken (the kind that comes in a can like tuna), olive oil mayonnaise, a little celery, green onions, black pepper, and paprika.
  • stephmhess
    stephmhess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find the key to success for meal is meal prep. I prep for an hour or so on Sundays and put containers in the fridge so it's easy grab and go. I always start with a pan of baked chicken - either skinless thighs, tenderloins, breasts, etc. That then gets diced up and put in the fridge in 4 oz. serving sizes. Then I go with a veggie option or two - sometimes it's grilled veg, or baked, sometimes it's prepped lettuce or cabbage. I take 1-2 cups of veggies with lunch. Then it's a starch - usually a quinoa, brown rice, spelt, sweet potato, etc. That gets prepped and I take about 3 oz or a 1/2 cup of that with it all. that's a VERY filling and healthy lunch. Sometimes I also make a soup that doubles as a dinner and then lunches as well - this week it's the Fixate Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup which is AMAZING!!! Then we prep all the raw veg for the week - a giant bag of carrots, celery, broccoli or cauliflower, sometimes a jicama - both my husband and I take that for snacks/lunches during the week - I also make a homemade dip to take with it because, let's just face it veg is more fun with something to dip - sometimes I do buy a hummus, sometimes it's PB with carrots and celery, sometimes the low fat dip. We also cut/prep a melon or two for the week in the fridge - that coupled with berries or bananas make a great AM snack with some seeds or nuts. That's about it. that's how we get through the week healthfully at our house.
  • sumkay02
    sumkay02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats @garybuckett1983 !!! I need help in the lunch department, too. Salads get boring :neutral:

@stephmhess that is AMAZING!! I did best when I meal prep'ed as well, however I get bored with eating chicken and salad everyday for lunch. I'm not adventurous with food, I'll try just about everything, but I don't like to spend the money not knowing if I'll like it or not...we are a very picky family (my husband and oldest daughter are the worst) so getting them to try anything is like pulling chicken teeth....so I eat what they eat. It's hard to make something just for me while I'm cooking the family a big yummy, carb filled dinner. LoL

Walmart/Publix has those little salad bowls in the produce section, they are pretty good. Are they really healthy tho?