What's the best food to eat after fasting?

Options
I just started the weekly 24 hour Intermittent fasting (Sunday 6pm to Monday 6 pm), would like to have some idea on what to eat after the fasting. (Fasting itself is not hard, the challenge is how to control my cravings and not to overeat after the fasting.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eat something not easily binged on. (Something not that calorically dense)
    Evaluate the benefits of fasting vs the ability to control binges.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I found that eating a lower carb (less than 100g/day) diet in general helped control my hunger and cravings when I was doing a 5:2 fasting split. So my suggestion would be to make your fast breaking meal and your last meal on Sunday higher fat, moderate protein, lower carb. Personal favorites for breaking a fast were bacon and eggs or steak and a veggie....if you only fix one portion, that's all you can eat.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Some lean protein with some veggies and maybe some fruit!
  • julie20170512
    julie20170512 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Lean protein seems the way to go :)
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Or Pizza!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Or Pizza!

This is my problem if I fast for too long. I get into the binge territory and start craving all manor of fast foods or things like Pizza where I always get/eat too much. I never crave an orange or a banana.

But if i avoid fasting and eat healthy I am fine and dont really get those cravings.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Or Pizza!

This is my problem if I fast for too long. I get into the binge territory and start craving all manor of fast foods or things like Pizza where I always get/eat too much. I never crave an orange or a banana.

But if i avoid fasting and eat healthy I am fine and dont really get those cravings.

For some reason I seem to get full a lot faster after fasting. Weirdly I can't seem to finish an entire pizza like I can if I'd been eating normally.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I just started the weekly 24 hour Intermittent fasting (Sunday 6pm to Monday 6 pm), would like to have some idea on what to eat after the fasting. (Fasting itself is not hard, the challenge is how to control my cravings and not to overeat after the fasting.

if you are having an issue with overeating after fasting, then maybe fasting is not for you.

You can lose weight by eating regularly and maintaining a calorie deficit, which may help control cravings.
  • leialeia79
    leialeia79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I go back in slowly after a fast; a little carb and lots of protein. Higher protein makes fasting easier in general. I've found eating something heavy immediately after a fast almost puts me to sleep, so I start with a glass of almond milk and have a small snack. Usually I'm ravenous for a proper meal in 30 minutes after that.
  • julie20170512
    julie20170512 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did something more research, pretty much agree with all above. My binge eating probably was induced by eating a load of high carb foods right after fasting. Will try some food high in protein and fat.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to eat foods that are too fatty or sugary when you break your fast, otherwise you'll feel gross and/or dizzy.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i do IF n i do eat more most of the time when i break my fast (without going over for the day) but it fits my lifestyle so i like it. other than that, i have not experience the 2000% gain in HGH yet. anyone experience this yet? :D
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I fast 20:4 daily. I break my fast with whatever I feel like that day that fits my macros. Sometimes that's a big salad and sometimes that pizza and beer. Zero issues with either.