oil replacement?

Options
nykole56
nykole56 Posts: 21 Member
Hey everyone. I need some help. I do so well with the raw eating of fruits and veggies but when it comes to cooking I am so used to using vegetable oil. I know there are healthier oils to use but does anyone have any good substitutions to replace the oil?

Replies

• HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Virgin Coconut Oil is what I have been using
  • zeaxm
    zeaxm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i use extra light olive oil in baking.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You can"fry" veg in water or stock. In baking, you can use applesauce or prune puree as a sub depending on the final taste of your baked goods. If you are doing anything chocolate, the prunes don't change the flavor or color much. If you are cooking meats, use cooking spray to keep from sticking. I wouldn't take out all fats though since there are fat soluble vitamins that you need.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    We use avocado oil but all oils have calories and fat. Some oils are slightly healthier, such as avocado and olive oil. Some people say coconut oil is also healthier but I'm skeptical to be honest. Avocado oil has a higher burn point than olive oil which is why I use it for stir fry type cooking but I use olive oil on roasted veggies.

It's true we need some fats in our diet but it's preferable to use healthier fats such as avocados and nuts. My go to fat is peanut butter......LOL

***Edited to add that I also use an olive oil spray for light cooking such as frying eggs or lean meats.
  • alicjakrol
    alicjakrol Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    With certain baked goods, I substitute up to half of the canola oil with applesauce.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    I use spray olive oil, it's not healthier as such but I use it far more sparingly and it's like 1 calorie a spray (non-aerosol version). Just enough to stop whatever I am frying or baking sticking to the pan.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I use different fats to get a range of different types. I use olive oil for dressings, coconut oil for some pan cooking (or nothing), butter, macadamia oils...

Although, I usually cook with nothing (lots of baking or oven roasting, or non stick pans), and add fat after... Like nuts or avo which provide some bulk
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    coconut oil for me very heathly in terms of nutrition but not low kcal
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    .....but then I sometimes will eat a spoonful of coconut oil if feeling really hungry between meals...seems to help but sounds a bit horrible
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If it is for calories - oils are oils. If it is for flavour there are a range I use depending on what I make:olive, sesame, avocado, sunflower, walnut or any other nut oil. They all have slightly different smoking points so that is something to consider and give a different flavour. I also use butter often because I like the flavour.
    I simply reduced the calories by using half of what I used to use
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil, olive oil or butter. On occasion, I use lard, tallow or schmaltz.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I also use spray oil and also coconut oil. If you can change you method of cooking it will help too. Try baking or BBQ instead of frying if you are able to.
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use spray olive oil, it's not healthier as such but I use it far more sparingly and it's like 1 calorie a spray (non-aerosol version). Just enough to stop whatever I am frying or baking sticking to the pan.

Me too, exactly! Olive oil is healthy, and it comes in a cooking spray.
  • lahughl
    lahughl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    find a way to test your oils - tried macadamia oil (kind of expensive) and I hated it. watch the smoke point - can you say trans-fats? When you heat oils to their smoke point, their chemical composition begins to change as the oils break down. The amounts of antioxidants found in the oils can decrease, removing one of the oil's positive health benefits. High quality extra-virgin olive oil has a high smoke point compared to cheaper olive oils. The Olive Oil Source states that the smoke point of olive oil falls between 365 and 400 degrees F. Olive oil exposed to light and air will have a lower smoke point. Oil that’s already been heated one or more times will also smoke at lower temperatures. Olive oil turns to trans fat only when repeatedly reused and heated to very high temperatures.