I took Glucomannan this morning and I don't see a difference. What is happening?

Options
Two days ago I bought 500mls Glucomannan from the health store. According to the instructions, I should take 250mls of water with one Glucomannan tablet half an hour before food. I did that and I don't feel full. Lots of people have noticed the difference and this supplement receive good reviews. What is happening?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You lost some weight via your wallet? People lie, people make up reviews, people make themselves believe what they want to believe... Think harder about being full perhaps? Maybe if you think hard enough, you'll forget about being hungry? :D
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's just a fiber supplement and fiber doesn't make everyone feel full. There's no evidence that glucomannan will help with your weight loss more than any other fiber. And if fiber doesn't make you feel full, then it isn't going to help you at all. Can you return it for a refund?

It's a gimmick and many companies selling it have been disciplined for making misleading claims. Many of the companies have already had to pay settlements due to their unethical business practices.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Give a bad review for the product on their website. See how long it stays up if it gets posted at all.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I just looked it up and its a natural remedy for constipation. Insufficient research for any kind of weight loss effect. You've been had, my dear.

Really. If it was as easy as that, don't you think we would all be doing it??
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    From what I gather it's essentially just sugar, what are you expecting it to do?

There doesn't seem to be any evidence to support it being used for weight loss effectively https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3892933/, it seems to be primarily used for constipation, diabetes and high cholestrol.

I would suggest you stop wasting your money on supplements and just eat in a calorie deficit. A cup of coffee will do just as much to suppress appetite as most of the rubbish that is endorsed by Dr Oz.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I thought this title/post was a joke...til I read it and realized it wasn't.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You done got a broken one.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's just very expensive fibre. Fibre isn't filling to every one. It is to me.

I get my fibre from baobab powder added to yogurt, fruit and veggies. Spinach wraps.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Taking fiber helps me, but as people here say, it's different for everyone.

Personally I like Glucomannan. I'm not sure why everyone is putting it down. I've tried a whole bunch of fiber supplements, and while I'm not sure there's much difference in how full I feel, the Glucomannan causes me less, um, er, um, gas.... TMI I know.

It's a personal preference, really.

I'm the kind of person who gets hunger-related nausea if I ignore the warning hunger pangs, so taking those capsules calms everything down and I don't get the nausea. Mileage may vary. I know some people say if they eat a food with high fat they feel full a lot longer--that hasn't been my experience. So people have to just experiment I guess and find what works for them.

To say that it's a sugar is misleading. It's a carbohydrate from the root of a plant, but it's one that humans can't really digest, so it doesn't act like a sugar in your body. It's more a gel-like fiber.

For some a cup of coffee will decrease appetite, for me it seems to increase it as it feels like it speeds up the emptying of my stomach. So to each their own.

It's only a "weight loss supplement" if it makes you eat less though. If you eat the same amount, then it's just fiber.

Though a note here: it's important to distinguish between "hunger" and "I'd really like some of that"--It calms my very uncomfortable hunger symptoms (pans and nausea). It doesn't make me stop desiring food. It doesn't make me feel so stuffed that "I couldn't eat another bite." So it doesn't exactly stop me from eating. But it is helpful to me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's just a fiber pill that expands many times it's size with water. I've used it. Try again with two glasses of water.