Hunger pains how do you deal?

Options
MadameMiranda
MadameMiranda Posts: 39 Member
edited June 2017 in Motivation and Support
So hungry. How does everybody swerve the hunger pains. Close to 230 lb at 5ft tall needless to say my body is used to consuming huge amounts of calories. I'm staying faithful but the pain is real. :s

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You have to experiment and find what works for you. For me, vanilla Greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate protein powder is the magic bullet (lots of protein). For others here, it may be a combination of fat/protein or something high in fiber. Filling your stomach by sheer volume may work for you- an entire bag of spinach is incredibly low in calories but high on nutrition.
    (Just choose your dressing wisely.)
    I hope that helps. Good luck! Don't give up!
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Water, water, and more water. It also helps to have fiber like Metamucil...it puffs up and helps you not feel like you have an empty stomach.
  • strawberryelf
    strawberryelf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sure about hunger pains all the time, but I am trying to wean myself off of having night snacks that are high in calories and I had a few pickles. No calories. :D (I guess if you ate enough of them but still...)
  • MadameMiranda
    MadameMiranda Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not sure about hunger pains all the time, but I am trying to wean myself off of having night snacks that are high in calories and I had a few pickles. No calories. :D (I guess if you ate enough of them but still...)

Yes i had my husband buy me some pickles
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    sometimes you just need a distraction. A leisurely 10 minute walk outside can work wonders.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It doesn't last forever. Your stomach will get used to less food and so you won't be suffering from such hunger pangs in future. Good advice on having a drink or going for a walk.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    I just deal. I am not starving as long as I am not eating under 1200 calories. I tell myself that, get a glass of water or some hot tea, and think about something else. If I have been distracted and not eaten enough (after checking my log) or I have been unusually active, I eat some fruit or a piece of cheese.
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of low calorie, high volume foods. For instances, my dinners usually have at least 500g of veg like broccoli. A whole can of tuna with mayo, celery, and cucumber is only 250 ish calories.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I make sure my deficit isn't too big.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I know for me, when I decided to start losing weight, eating at a calorie deficit was really hard. I was so hungry. It took about a week or two for my body to get used to eating the calorie amount I was at. Although it was better, I was still very hungry. Eventually I started playing around with meal timing, and that's when I found the key to my hunger pains. I stopped eating in the morning, started eating in the afternoon, and my hunger was finally under control.
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Different things have worked for me at different stages. In the beginning, my stomach was used to huge volumes of food, so a wedge of iceberg lettuce - plain, no dressing - would often help. Nowadays, my body chemistry is different, so a low fat mozzarella stick will help, and then I'm just careful to log it in the food diary, and work out a little longer if I have to.

You can do this - hang in there. Make sure you're eating at least 1200 per day, keep track of it, and do something active every day, even a nice brisk walk helps a lot. The key is being consistent, sticking with it, and forming new habits. We've all been there! You can do it! :smile:
  • SelfConscious17
    SelfConscious17 Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Try drinking apple cider vinegar with 8oz of water 3 times a day. It helps me.
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Light cheese sticks. Took me a while to actually enjoy them but for whatever reason they hold me over. 50 calories a stick and I always eat two as a snack.

Your body does adjust after a while and you won't feel the hunger. Lots of times it's more mental then physical.
  • allenic10
    allenic10 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry, my stomach is at it's flattest (rather than when I've just eaten and it's fuller.) So when I'm struggling with hunger pains, I try on cute clothes or take progress pictures of myself... I feel more confident since I'm not bloated or lethargic from food. I've actually grown to "enjoy" feeling a little bit hungry so that I can have those moments.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Gum, diet soda. I eat a lot of whole cucumber as a snack. I eat high volume...so giant giant salads with lean meat and only hot sauce as dressing to save calories on more filling things.
  • neekonico
    neekonico Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try to spread your meals and snacks out. I have breakfast, mid morning snack, lean cuisine, afternoon snack, dinner, and sometimes a light snack after. My favorite snacks are special k with added protein, wheat thins, cottage cheese, grapes, laughing cow cheese, carrots, hummus, apples. I do a lean cuisine for lunch because it's low calorie, filling, and portion controlled. If you pick high calorie foods, you will not be able to eat as much and will be famished. Make sure you find foods you enjoy, that way you don't feel unsatisfied.
  • neekonico
    neekonico Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also, mints help or peppermint tea.
  • R2che
    R2che Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I find chewing gum helps me. It's not for everyone tho xx
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Got too busy and put lunch to cook a little bit too late, so it's not done yet, and I'm getting a little bit hungry. I'm having a diet 7up. The carbonation usually helps hold me over for some time. Coffee also helps me, but I don't like drinking it after noon.

Ultimately and in general (save for situations like the one above) I minimize my chances of getting too hungry in the first place by not going for the lowest calorie setting and by being more active to earn more calories. That and by eating things that are filling for me.
  • iamimagine
    iamimagine Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I started my diet was 2-4 hard boiled eggs for breakfast with veggies, nuts or celery and peanut butter for snack, and protein like chicken or fish with salads and sweet potato for lunch and dinner. Ate every 2 hours. I was rarely hungry, and didn't count calories. Lost weight too. Now I'm off it a little, but when I'm hungry I have hard boiled egg whites or a cheese stick. If that doesn't work, nuts.
    Bottom line: I feel strongly that the eggs keep me from being hungry, and the nuts too. Both have high fats, but they are healthy.