Heeelllp! Healthy bday cake/ice cream ideas needed!

Options
Hi all!

I need to make a (surprise) HEALTHY bday cake and I'd like to do some ice cream with it (I do have a machine)... I've been seeing all these yummy ideas on Pinterest and was wondering if any of you had any real life experience and/or tips/tricks to share? Little scared to be trying to bake with like applesauce or Greek yogurt not having done it before... thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Who is the cake for? Some time back there was a poster who had gone out of her way to make a "healthy" birthday cake for her boyfriend, using all types of special ingredients (it had things like dates and coconut flour, and faux chocolate, it sounded like an epic monstrosity). She spent an entire day on it, and he wouldn't touch it because he wanted a traditional chocolate cake and she was so hurt by this.

That being said, I have heard great things about successful interchanges. Do you have time to make a tester cake? Maybe have a small bit to confirm it's good and then give it away to work colleagues or something. If it doesn't work out, then you have time to either tweak the recipe some more, or to fall back on the traditional type. Personally, I haven't tried the substitutions because if I want cake, I'm having the real thing. Just a little less of it (maybe).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    There's one thing I've noticed with every low-calorie cake I've ever made, and that would be... the absence of frosting. That being said, perhaps https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/lovely-tender-angel-food-cake with a glaze?

Or https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/chocolate-cake-bars (just don't cut into bars)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite is this chocolate cake It is delicious. One of my friends had it at her wedding cake and I just adored it. Less unhealthy maybe is how I would describe it , but still indulgent and chocolaty
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by healthy?

Low fat? Low sugar? Low added sugar? Gluten free? Low calorie?

Imo, stuff made with too many substitute ingredients isn't worth the calories. I'd rather a smaller piece of "real" cake.
  • postchi1
    postchi1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    avocado + Egg + Flour + Protein power = A decent brownie

Add Soy ice cream (Tesco / ASDA in UK) and you are on to a winner
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of a cake, you can make cupcakes - that way the portions are smaller than a slice of cake (perhaps!) and they are easier to give away than a half eaten cake.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be a CAKE cake? I'm usually the designated desert maker/baker in my friend group, so following dietary guidelines for the person I'm making for can be tricky. I've never substituted ingredients, I'd make something completely different. For someone doing Paleo/Whole 30, I've done watermelon/cantaloupe "cakes" (beware - this takes SO MUCH time to slice the fruit and arrange to make it really pretty - I did not do the coconut whipped 'icing'). For a friend who with Celiac's/lactose intolerant, I made a Pumpkin Mousse (sp?) Pie with a nut crust.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    When I was young and my mother was trying to help or make me lose weight she made me a pineapple cake for my birthday. It was a pineapple cut in half with candles stuck in it....