Weight loss surgery

Options
GailK1967
GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
Just curious how many others have gone down this route after a lifetime of weight loss and gain yo yo-ing.

Replies

• GailK1967
    Options
    I work in a large hospital where 17 staff members have done WLS. 10 are 3+ years down the track and none have regained. I had mine 4 months ago and all good so far. After years of dieting it's great to actually only be able to eat a small amount and feel full. Before now I have felt hungry 24/7. Even after a large meal I was hungry again within 30 mins. Mind you I had thyroid and pituitary tumors which didn't help and take steroids for an unrelated medical condition so hunger was as constant as my need to breathe. That has changed now.

Just wondering about others and MFP app (it's always telling me I'm not eating enough).

By the way weight loss via weight loss surgery is as natural as restricting calories.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My father and sister have both had it and done well. I'm here because I wanted to try taking the weight off without it. I also noticed that post-surgery, there are a number of things that my father can't eat anymore. Like fresh bread; it needs to be toasted, first.

I did some Googling and discovered other restrictions that don't fit well with a vegetarian diet. (Beans and whole grains are issues, for example.)

My father has put back some of the weight in the 3+ years since the surgery, but he's nowhere near where he used to be. Not sure about my sister.

So, bottom line, it works for a number of people, but there are dietary restrictions to consider and it's not a good fit for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    Unless you're obese, there's no reason to do it IMO. You still have to adhere to behavior change and that can be done if you're consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,132 Member
    Options
    Just don't pay any attention to the little thing about eating more.

You don't have to "Complete This Entry," on the food page. It does nothing other than add a message to your feed, if you have it enabled. I'm assuming you are still under doctors' care and on a plan that is less than 1200 calories. That's as low as it will let you go (females) without that prompt. Just don't hit that "complete" thing.

There are many other WLS people here. Keep looking. If you go to "Groups" and type in Surgery in the search field, a few groups come up...don't know how active they are.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/groups

• GailK1967
    Options
    That's true tiffininghs. I've kicked my sugar addiction thankfully.

All those things gs ate 100 % true of all diets, weight-loss plans too. Yes it's possible to slip back to old habits, breaking, make bad choices, swap one addiction for another, that's it's a lifestyle change, you need to work at it, change old habits etc. Same of every plan or diet. Thankfully so far for me the tool of wls has given me control over my appetite because I cannot ever remember having a "full" button til now.
  • GailK1967
    Options
    Just don't pay any attention to the little thing about eating more.

You don't have to "Complete This Entry," on the food page. It does nothing other than add a message to your feed, if you have it enabled. I'm assuming you are still under doctors' care and on a plan that is less than 1200 calories. That's as low as it will let you go (females) without that prompt. Just don't hit that "complete" thing.

There are many other WLS people here. Keep looking. If you go to "Groups" and type in Surgery in the search field, a few groups come up...don't know how active they are.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/groups

Thanks so much for both points. :)
  • GailK1967
    Options
    My father and sister have both had it and done well. I'm here because I wanted to try taking the weight off without it. I also noticed that post-surgery, there are a number of things that my father can't eat anymore. Like fresh bread; it needs to be toasted, first.

I did some Googling and discovered other restrictions that don't fit well with a vegetarian diet. (Beans and whole grains are issues, for example.)

My father has put back some of the weight in the 3+ years since the surgery, but he's nowhere near where he used to be. Not sure about my sister.

So, bottom line, it works for a number of people, but there are dietary restrictions to consider and it's not a good fit for me.

Definitely harder for vegetarians. I don't eat bread as I have coeliac kids so no issue there and I've tolerated most things we'll so far. I was vegetarian for 10 years and vegan for 2 but I couldn't be again so not an issue for me personally but I certainly hear you.

It took me 3 years to decide to do it and I'm happy I did.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is restricting calories.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    GailK1967 wrote: »
    I work in a large hospital where 17 staff members have done WLS. 10 are 3+ years down the track and none have regained. I had mine 4 months ago and all good so far.

You have a built in support system there! Must be great to have so many close by who you can ask questions and talk about whatever is going on with.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Although I have not, four friends have and only one has kept the weight off. People think it's a magical thing that will cure you, but guess what? If you eat 5000 calories in tiny teeny meals, that's not any better then eating 5000 calories in a few big meals.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    @ OP: Check out this group, pretty active, lots of different experiences: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    [quote="tiffaninghs;c-39749693"]now that the peanut gallery has commented.. i actually had surgery and its a drastic temporary solution. u still have to diet and exercise.. im two years in and still have to count all my calories and kill myself in the gym daily to avoid weight gain. what they dont tell u is that after ur stomach heals (3-6 months) real food-salad, meat, grains are still hard to eat, u can only eat a few spoonfuls. but junk "food" chips and cookies melt in ur mouth and stomach. so the foods that are slider foods before are still slider foods after. so if u can cure ur addiction to junk then you'll be fine. if not, then the battle of the bulge will continue. I can name quite a few ppl who are bigger now than before surgery unfortunately.. but i still wouldnt go back[/quote]

wow...really.

Even if we didn't have it some of us may have other insights...

I know a few people who have had it and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

A few things that most don't stop to think about.

Won't be able to absorb as many nutrients....which means supplements...I have one friend who needs b12 shots.
    Loose skin which may or may not be removed...
    Another friend who ended up in a coma due to a hole in his small intestines...now he is even worse off for nutrients.
    Requirement to eat freqently

Killing self in gym is not required for anyone...just ensure you aren't over goal for calories...
  • GailK1967
    Options
    barryfree wrote: »
    I am preparing for the gastric sleeve surgery in September. First I have to finish a 6 month medically supervised diet so that my health insurance will cover most of the cost. I am seeing a dietician monthly and losing weight. I am learning to eat properly and using this program to document everything I eat. I have no doubt that I can lose the weight as I have yo-yo dieted most of my adult life. I believe after the surgery and when I get to my ideal weight that I will do everything in my power to prevent the weight gain as I know the cost of reckless eating. The pot at the end of the rainbow for me is: 1. No more medicine for high blood pressure and diabetes. 2. Intimacy. 3. Ability to be more active, fit into tight spaces (when working on boat). 3. Wear any clothing I want. 4. When in shape my confidence goes through the roof and I tend to excel in everything. 4. Go after the higher paying jobs after I conquer the fat man complex. I will also be getting a couple of dogs which I will be walking daily to help maintain my weight. I am learning that I don't have to eat a 20 oz. steak but I can get the same amount of enjoyment from a 4oz. steak when eating slowly. I am learning that with proper hydration you will be less hungry. I do have a sweet tooth and satisfy it with a little candy instead of a full on dessert (couple of gummy bears instead of a slice of cake). I try to stay off the couch and do something, anything to be more active (clean house even). I am eating more apples than ever before and not just any apples, I go for the more expensive apples as they taste sooo good! You get what you pay for! I am very excited to get this surgery and look forward to the many benefits it will provide.

Go for it. It's been wonderful for me. I have no regrets at all and the surgery itself was a walk in the park. No complications at all. I LOVE having appetite control for the first time in my life and actually really really enjoy eating.

Don't be out off by B12 *kitten*. I've had them for half my life prior to surgery. I recently also had an iron infusion as the surgeon suggested as I've had 25 years of anemia. I feel better than I felt at 25! I'm down to a size 16 from a 22 and training for a marathon! My dogs actually get tired of all the walks and runs now not the other way around.

WLS is a tool that helps a lot (but not all) people, just as MFP is a tool that helps some.
  • Mitzugirl1974
    Mitzugirl1974 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm having my surgery Friday morning. I'm so totally excited for it. My mom and sister had the surgery done 3 and 4 yrs ago and the health benifets are totally worth the cost both physically and financially. For me it's a no brainer. I've struggled with my weight my whole life and now I'm in my 40's, pre diabetic, extreme joint pain mainly in my knees and I'm looking at a stroke or heart disease/attack by the time I'm 50 or so. I've always been active and healthy eating lifestyle. I became a first time mom at 40 and having pre eclampsia added to my health issues.

Through all my research the gastric sleeve is the only way to go. It's ONLY A TOOL though and if people don't look at it as a life tool then long term it won't work but neither will any other surgery.
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had gastric 7/14/2009 at 333 pounds. I have stayed between 150-165 for years. I wouldn't take it back and I would do it again and again.
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Some just made a statement above that I think should probably be known by any overweight person.
    Loose skin will happen to MOST people of they loose over 100 pounds! Your skin was stretched out, it wouldn't normal to lose 200 pounds and NOT HAVE it. So all I have to say is, if you have over 100 pounds to lose, if you do it slow or fast, be prepared!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @SezxyStef
    a friend of mine her daughter had that happen to her and she was also put into a coma and they werent sure she would make it. she was in the hospital 3 months.