Calf strain

Options
Just picked up a calf strain while jogging , any tip on recovery please.

Replies

• mafhoney
    mafhoney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Rest, foam roller, more rest, compression socks could also help, and more foam rolling. I dealt with calf tendonitis for a couple months, and all those things (plus PT, but that wouldn't be necessary for just a strain) helped them heal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Depending on the severity of the strain, there are different approaches. However RICE method is always the first step.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    padbrd47 wrote: »
    Just picked up a calf strain while jogging , any tip on recovery please.

Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation in the first instance, as I'm responding within 90 minutes of your post.

Afterwards, it depends on the severity of the strain but largely rest until the pain has eased, and explore the reason why it happened. You might want some time with a physio.

Personally I wouldn't recommend rolling until you know how did it is. If there is any tearing then you risk exacerbating it.
  • postchi1
    postchi1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    look at functional rehab for Gastrox strain, progressive stretching overload

muscle heals pretty quick 4-6 wk dependant on grade of muscle tear.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I tore my calf two weeks ago. It took a week and a half to be able to walk on it, and the orthopedic surgeon told me to expect 12-15 weeks for recovery.

A strain is different from a tear, though. If yours seems bad, get it checked out. You have to let a tear scar down properly before rehabbing it, or you may worsen things or cause it to become a chronic injury.
  • postchi1
    postchi1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Did the surgeon specify on what grade the tear was? Sounds quite severe..

A grade 1 would be circa 6 weeks dependent on rehab.

Agreed I would recommend seeing a physio. A muscle strain is a tear, a sprain would be ligament or fibrous cartilage.

www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/understanding-sprains-strains