Really confused

Options
Went to the GP the other day for a weigh in and apparently I've gained 3lbs in the last 4 weeks. Granted I haven't done much exercise lately but I have been under my calorie goal (and have been eating relatively healthy). So surely I'd still be losing weight (albeit not that much)?

I do plan on going for more walks and drinking more water between now and next month though. That's definitely a given. I was just wondering why I gained rather than lost. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Replies

• mariasheehan
    mariasheehan Posts: 335
    Options
    Hi there,

You might need to open your diary so other members can see what you've been eating, that might help a little perhaps. You may not be eating enough, can you tell us how much you have to lose etc, so we get a better idea? :happy:

PS my diary is closed because I add a daily rant to myself at the bottom and it's very sad!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Was this according to the doctor's scale, compared to weight at home on your own scale? Just wondering if you weighed on the same scale, same time of day, etc.
  • jessicauwt
    Options
    I am equally stumped by this problem that I share with you. As it turns out, I wasn't eating enough. Once I added a 250-400 calorie breakfast to my diet, the pounds started dropping. Good luck!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Do you not have a scale at home you can weight in daily on? Sometimes the doctor scales can vary a lot from the one at home. Three pounds is not very much. I wouldn't get to concerned about it. Also, what time of day were you weighed? You should only weigh yourself once a day and first thing in the morning - fluctuations through the day are due to food and water intake. Just watch you sodium intake and try to eat clean for a few days and see if your weight comes back down. Best of luck!
  • matt1986wilson
    Options
    I've just made my profile public.

And to answer your questions, no I don't have a scales at home (have been thinking of investing though). And I'm not sure how this matters, but I was weighed roughly at 12pm. Was waiting nearly 1hr 20mins for my appointment which was supposed to be at 11am (got there about 10.45am though).

Also, I'm not worried at all really. As long as I keep up my 30-40min walks every day or so, I should be fine. I just didn't do much in these last 4 weeks thinking I'd still lose some, but now I know reducing calorie intake alone is not enough.

Also, I weigh 254lbs and trying for 179lbs so around 70 or so pounds to lose.
  • dancingdeer
    Options
    Hey there,

Just looked at your diary. It looks pretty good - but - I could offer up some suggestions. Try having eggs for breakfast - you'll get a lot of protein in and less calories - maybe with an orange. And lunch - you had corn twice which is a pretty starchy veggie. Maybe swap that out for a big leafy green salad, and put some protein on top - chicken, tuna, steak. Have a piece of cheese with it. You can still eat your tortilla - better option might be a whole grain bread. Good snacks are string cheese, plain yogurt, fruit, raw veggies, nuts (just not too many). I would try to lower your carbs and introduce more lean proteins. And remember to drink lots of water! Best of luck!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Was this according to the doctor's scale, compared to weight at home on your own scale? Just wondering if you weighed on the same scale, same time of day, etc.

this was my answer until I saw you don't have a scale at home..
  • matt1986wilson
    Options
    Hey there,

Just looked at your diary. It looks pretty good - but - I could offer up some suggestions. Try having eggs for breakfast - you'll get a lot of protein in and less calories - maybe with an orange. And lunch - you had corn twice which is a pretty starchy veggie. Maybe swap that out for a big leafy green salad, and put some protein on top - chicken, tuna, steak. Have a piece of cheese with it. You can still eat your tortilla - better option might be a whole grain bread. Good snacks are string cheese, plain yogurt, fruit, raw veggies, nuts (just not too many). I would try to lower your carbs and introduce more lean proteins. And remember to drink lots of water! Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips. But a couple of things though. 1) I'm allergic to eggs and 2) I don't really like cooking or eating meat. Not a vegetarian per se, but I may as well be. lol

Also if we have any, I always have a banana with my wraps. And the sweetcorn I add to the wraps are only 2-3 teaspoonfuls worth each anyway so its not that much. Also, I only have a bag of mixed dried fruit & nuts once a week as a treat as they are so calorific. Plus the cereal I have has dried bananas and raisins in it anyway.

And my GP asked me to add one more thing to my 5 a day and I picked strawberries. Going to have one a day with my lunch. :-)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    If you ate breakfast before that weigh-in and drank a couple of glasses of water that would account easily for three pounds. I usually gain 4-5 pounds from my morning weigh-in to an after breakfast weight but all that weight is food and water, not body weight.
  • matt1986wilson
    Options
    True, but the fact I walked to the GP which is around 40mins away should negate some of that? But I did have some cereal before I set off and had a powerade while I was waiting as I needed hydration. Plus I figured 100cals isn't much considering I walked there and was going to walk home again. The cereal was 429cal so at the weigh in I had consumed 529cals and lost about 300cals just from walking there. So I was only on 229cals or so that morning.

It just occurred to me, but could it be muscle forming? Because I had lost 9lbs between January and June and suddenly I've now gone up 3lbs, even though I'm eating easily enough to lose half a pound a week.
  • dancingdeer
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? Often, your clothes will start to feel lose although the scale isn't showing a loss. It's a great way to gauge your progress. :happy: