Any Cancer Survivors out here?

Options
I have been on this site now for about 3 weeks and finally gathered up the courage to give a shout out. Last year I battled Breast Cancer and won. Now that I am off of treatments and about to be released from physical therapy, I need to lose 100 lbs or more. I am hoping that this will be a piece of cake compared to my last year and a half. Other than keeping my journal up to date (fingers crossed) I would like to join in an exercise challenge or something similar. Is there any new ones getting started?

Replies

• SageLikeTheSpice
    SageLikeTheSpice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on beating your breast cancer. My godmother had that, and I know how awful the treatments can be.

I had skin cancer on the top of my head when I was 16. It was successfully removed through surgery, and they checked my lymph nodes to make sure there was no spreading, and there wasn't, hooray. It's been 15 years.

I don't know if there are any new exercise challenges starting up because I don't really follow them, but it seems like new ones (or maybe just new posts in them) are popping up all the time. There is an informal weight loss competition I'm involved in, that's been going on for two weeks, but anyone can join at any time. It includes % lost each week plus now the guy running it is giving out points for being under your calorie goals and exercise.

Keeping the journal up to date is really difficult at first, but eventually it gets easier. Good luck :)
  • MEMA5
    MEMA5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HI MY NAME IS ISSY, I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER 3YEARS AGO, I WAS FOUND ON ROUTINE MAMMOGRAM, I HAD A LUMPECTECTOMY, SENTINAL NODE BIOPSY WHICH TURNED OUT NEGATIVE ( THANK GOD), I UNDERWENT RADIATION AND NOW I AM ON FIMARA FOR THE NEXT FIVE YEARS..I JOINED MPF MARCH OF2010, BECAUSE I NEEDED TO GET MY ENERGY LEVEL UP, I WAS FATIGUED FROM THE RADIATION, NEEDED TO LOOSE WEIGHT TO REDUCE THE FAT IN MY BODY, I ALSO HAVE OSTEOARTRITIS AND NEED TO HAVE STRONG GER MUSCLES...I WALK, I USED DVDS, RIDE STATIONARY BIKE,PLAY Wii SPORTS ..SO WHAT EVER ENCOURAGEMENT YOU NEED I AM HEAR FRO YOU , I WILL BE HAPPY TO ADD YOU AS A FRIEND,...I HOPE THIS HELPED GOOD LUCK ..IN FIGHTING THE FIGHT..PEACE ISSY:smile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No cancer here, thank goodness, but just a shout out to say ROCK ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF!! You're a survivor :) You can do anything!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Great job on beating cancer. My wife (alliej) is a two time survivor of cervical cancer.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Skin cancer here--squamous cell, diagnosed and removed from my poor nose a year ago in March--still going in every few months for exams. Also have oral checks because squamous on the face increases the risk of squamous in the mouth, too. And in the lungs, sadly. Hoping.

Kris
  • utaviator
    utaviator Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yep, I too am a breast cancer survivor...ten years since my last treatment. :bigsmile: And yes, now that you survived the treatments you can face anything and win!!

I was on vacation this weekend, and saw a woman wearing my new favorite shirt: "Save the Ta-Ta's"
  • robinkhn
    robinkhn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had uterine cancer in 2008. Last summer was my first year in really feeling good and this summer is awesome! Have neuropathy in my feet from chemo and will always battle that, but would rather battle foot pain than cancer any day! I am doing a 30 minute a day challenge. There is a great site Every Body Walk that has great motivation, inspiration, quotes and pictures of what others are doing. Glad you are a survivor. My motto: Never give up, Never surrender!!
    25518 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a breast cancer survivor of nearly 6 years. I had a mastectormy, chemo. and radiation. It was in lymph nodes but all I have left is lympodema, which I can live with. I was on Aromacin for 5 years(which makes it difficult to loose or even keep from gaining weight). Finished the med. In Jan. and started to try to lose. I've lost 21 lbs., slow but better than nothing! I've had reconstruction and reduction etc. for a total of 7 surgeries and am finally feeling normal. I have been exercising for about 3 years but have not kept track of my food. I hope I can make this a lifestyle change!
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ovarian Cancer Stage III at age 36
    Breast Cancer at age 38....got my diagnosis the day of my graduation from Nursing School.
    My last 15 years of nursing was in Oncology. I am blessed!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I have a genetic bone disease that causes tumors on every joint of my body and have had surgery to remove several of them (my first surgery was when I was 3 years old). 3 of the tumors came back as abnormal cells, beginning of malignancy. But luckily they never metasticized. I just have to keep an eye on the remaining ones to make sure they aren't growing. Which is actually proving to be a challenge right now because as I lose weight, the bone tumors seem bigger.

My most significant experience with cancer was caring for my mother as she died of end stage lung cancer (she never smoked). I dropped my life and everything I've ever had in San Francisco and moved out to New Jersey to be her live in nurse. It was the worst experience of my life, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. This was in 2007. Still trying to get my life to a point where I can return to SF.

Congratulations on your successful fight! I know so many who've lost that fight.

Good luck on the weightloss! If you fought cancer and won, this will be a piece of cake.
  • ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just had my final (yay!!) chemo treatment today!! :drinker:

I was diagnosed w/triple negative breast cancer in April, and had lost about 25 pounds then so I've been fighting chemo and the associated steroid/nausea meds weight gain with great success since. I've lost another 15 or so since i was diagnosed and am doing well. I am either starting rads or having a mastectomy/reconstruction in a few weeks (pending outcome of genetic testing) and that will slow me down too but it is so helpful to track the calories and exercise here. The support from the folks here is tremendously helpful, too.

I am tired after the treatments and steroids make me turn into a ravenous carb-cruncher, but am getting through it all! You can do it, too!!!!

Best wishes.
  • cupcake_jen
    cupcake_jen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had ovarian cancer a rare form called sertoli leydig. Beat it and been 4 years strong and trying to improve my life style :) Awesomeness and congrats to all survivors. We sure beat cancer and we can def. lose weight :) Keep it up everyone :)
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    No cancer here, but mega-props to all of you! :flowerforyou:
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi there, stage III thyroid cancer, one reoccurence and now been in remission for five years. Good luck on your fitness journey, and feel free to send me a friend request, if you like!
  • sendangels
    sendangels Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I was 31 yrs old (now 35) with a 3 year old and 3 month old I was diagnosed with stage 1 melanoma. I am so thankful that it was stage 1, but still, a scary experience!! I went through 2 surgeries and lots of waiting to make sure I was in the "clear". No recurrences as of today, but always watchful! Though it's huge, I kind of like my scar because it gives me a chance to speak to others about sun exposure and going to the dermatologist! Currently, my family is supporting my father-in-law and grandmother while they battle stage 2 and stage 4 lung cancer. Chemo and radiation are underway for both of them. My dad has lymphoma (non-active). Lots of cancer in the family and I feel like I need to take the best care of myself possible... hence, the weightloss journey! Not getting any younger!:) You all are an encouragement!