Struggling to lose weight and actually feel like crying!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Carbimazole can definitely cause weight gain. Have your doctor test your current levels (free T3 especially) to make sure your dosage isn't too high causing you to be hypo now instead of hyper.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No, not due just now.
    Can't believe how down I'm feeling now, wish I hadn't weighed myself now!

This is part of the problem. I'd actually recommend weighing yourself more often. First thing in the morning every single day before eating/drinking. You will get a really good knowledge about how your body fluctuates over the week. Many people don't recommend this, they are stupid :)

Your scale has most likely fooled you into thinking you gained weight when you didn't. Take heart and carry on.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm not that great with the free weights yet (still learning) so I'm not even convinced I'm getting any benefit from the weights yet.

While you are in a deficit the benefit you get from lifting weights is to KEEP the muscle you do have. If you dont do this part of the weight you lose will be muscle, only making it harder to gain it back once you reach your goals.

If you want to GAIN more muscle, once you reach your goal weight, you will have to do either a recomp or a bulk/cut cycle. Dont worry about that until you get there though. Just keep lifting weights to limit the muscle loss.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    #1 - It is totally ok to cry. It might even help release some...stress.

Good advice above. Keep at it, if you'd like to lose a little bit faster just drop another 50-100 cals/day.

Remember you are learning new skills, it takes time. Be forgiving of yourself.

I gained 7 lbs in one weigh-in last week, the next day I was down that 7 plus two more. Don't trust the scale everyday. Stick with the process.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think that the sooner you accept the fact that they scale won't show a lower number than the day before every time you step on it, the happier you will be. :)

This has been my experience. I focus more on how I look in the mirror or how clothes feel, because sometimes I'll feel on fire, my eating has been on point for the last week or so, and I hop on the scale and... it hasn't changed, has gone up, or whatever. NBD, log it in my weight tracker app and move forward. I don't weigh as often as I once did, either, but that is personal preference.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Honestly, OP, I think most of us know what you're going through. I think last week was my time to cry. It just seems so frustrating at times - like you're not getting anywhere.

But the simple truth is you are getting somewhere. It takes time, and there will be moments of frustration. Just remember that you can do this. Just keep at it. You're not alone in this.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    No, not due just now.

This is part of the problem. I'd actually recommend weighing yourself more often. First thing in the morning every single day before eating/drinking. You will get a really good knowledge about how your body fluctuates over the week. Many people don't recommend this, they are stupid :)

Don't think they're stupid, just that for some people weighing themselves every day just isn't a good motivator because - like the OP - they get frustrated and lost in the minutiae of daily weight fluctuations.

When I was in my weight loss phase, I did weigh every day, and learned that it's the downward trend over time that is important, not what the scale tells you on any particular day.

Now that I'm in maintenance, I weigh myself under the same conditions every Sunday morning to ensure that I'm still on target. :)
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No, not due just now.

Don't think they're stupid, just that for some people weighing themselves every day just isn't a good motivator because - like the OP - they get frustrated and lost in the minutiae of daily weight fluctuations.

When I was in my weight loss phase, I did weigh every day, and learned that it's the downward trend over time that is important, not what the scale tells you on any particular day.

Now that I'm in maintenance, I weigh myself under the same conditions every Sunday morning to ensure that I'm still on target. :)

I switched to daily weigh-ins (well, almost daily) and use the Happy Scale app. My weight does go up and down daily, by as many as 3-4lbs. The app tracks my 7day average and overall trends. It makes me feel better to be honest.

However, daily weigh ins for some can add more stress- don't feel like you have to, just know that weight is just ONE measurement of progress (and is the least accurate IMHO). Take pictures and body measurements- you will be surprised at the changes that are happening beyond the scale.

It takes time and dedication to do this- great job to you so far. You can definitely do this.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    No, not due just now.

Your scale has most likely fooled you into thinking you gained weight when you didn't. Take heart and carry on.

:neutral: Different things work for different people. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't make it stupid.

Some people find all that data comforting, others find it confusing and stressful.
  • tamonrae
    tamonrae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One thing that really makes a difference for me to get my measurements done by someone (I used our fitness person at work). She took measurements for the following: biceps, thighs, calves, waist, bust. I only got measured once a month but by tracking it I was able to see progress - reduction in overall inches - wayyyyyyyy before I saw significant weight loss. Good luck and stay positive. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint! :)
  • Goodheavens2
    Goodheavens2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is why my previous attempts at losing failed. As soon as I saw a jump in the scales I got frustrated and gave up. Probably after having a cry, too! Now I know how much weight fluctuates, I don't let it bother me. Focus on the good things...I've learned to enjoy my walks instead of 'having' to do them, I've taken up golf as my main exercise and love it, I'm learning new skills! I have increased my cooking repertoire significantly, I did an Indian cooking course and my curries are fantastic, even with my modifications to make them less calorie heavy. Enjoy the process, don't have the scales as your only focus.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I used to get massive scale anxiety, and the number would affect my mood all day. Then I started weighing daily, and realized just how much my weight varies! Now I weigh myself every morning, and that's the number for the day, but only look at week-to-week and month-to-month trends (as a woman, weekly trends can be dicey with hormone fluctuations throughout our cycles).

As I approach maintenance levels, these fluctuations are starting to look a lot more scary, because the overall line isn't going down very dramatically at all. But I trust the numbers at this point.

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Use this as an opportunity to be extra vigilant and consistent about your calorie intake (the 300 calorie range you cite can make or break most people who are not accustomed to the discipline required for effective diet and exercise) and be more precise with what your "exercise" is 5 days per week.
    With that sort of range it makes me think you are estimating a lot of things.

You have not indicated what sort of "exercise" you are getting or how long you are doing it each day, so that statement is mostly meaningless.
    A concern is that you may be using MFP and "eating back" your "exercise" calories, perhaps subconsciously. Overestimating your exercise deficit by 250 calories plus the surplus 300 calorie variance you list is over 500 calories per day by itself.
    That could result in gaining -or losing- 1lb per week. Two weeks of that results in 2lbs gained.

In other words, you did not gain 2lbs "this morning." Either your weight has fluctuated up and down as normal, the weight gain was gradual, or any number of other factors have contributed to it.
    Has it dawned on you that maybe your weight fluctuated *lower* on previous measurements and that maybe the truth is some other number?
    You did not even say when the last time you weighed yourself to notice a 2lb gain so that is not very helpful either.

You need to stop worrying about it and just focus on your goals for the long-term.
    Letting this upset you so much is likely to set you up for more disappointment.
    You need to be more patient and realize that some weeks are going to be better than others.
    If it was simple and easy then we would have a lot less overweight people in the US.

I always recommend to the people I coach to consistently measure their waists at the navel, at least a few times a week.
    First thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything.
    If you see that average measurement trending downward then your are probably losing fat regardless of what the scale may imply.

Obligatory:
    s8nwhf02t0wt.jpg
  • janicegray2004
    janicegray2004 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am facing the same struggle and can totally relate in regard to hypothyroidism. It is discouraging. Keep trying. My endocrinologist told me I had to take in only 1000 calories and recommended the Mediterranean diet. I was told to eat small meals every two to three hours to keep the metabolism revving. Hang in there.
  • Sophannah2017
    Sophannah2017 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Use this as an opportunity to be extra vigilant and consistent about your calorie intake (the 300 calorie range you cite can make or break most people who are not accustomed to the discipline required for effective diet and exercise) and be more precise with what your "exercise" is 5 days per week.
    With that sort of range it makes me think you are estimating a lot of things.

You have not indicated what sort of "exercise" you are getting or how long you are doing it each day, so that statement is mostly meaningless.
    A concern is that you may be using MFP and "eating back" your "exercise" calories, perhaps subconsciously. Overestimating your exercise deficit by 250 calories plus the surplus 300 calorie variance you list is over 500 calories per day by itself.
    That could result in gaining -or losing- 1lb per week. Two weeks of that results in 2lbs gained.

In other words, you did not gain 2lbs "this morning." Either your weight has fluctuated up and down as normal, the weight gain was gradual, or any number of other factors have contributed to it.
    Has it dawned on you that maybe your weight fluctuated *lower* on previous measurements and that maybe the truth is some other number?
    You did not even say when the last time you weighed yourself to notice a 2lb gain so that is not very helpful either.

You need to stop worrying about it and just focus on your goals for the long-term.
    Letting this upset you so much is likely to set you up for more disappointment.
    You need to be more patient and realize that some weeks are going to be better than others.
    If it was simple and easy then we would have a lot less overweight people in the US.

I always recommend to the people I coach to consistently measure their waists at the navel, at least a few times a week.
    First thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything.
    If you see that average measurement trending downward then your are probably losing fat regardless of what the scale may imply.

Obligatory:
    s8nwhf02t0wt.jpg

Your post is very informative, thank you. Let me answer few of ur questions.

My cardio routine:
    Sunday: Metafit (HIIT) class 30 mins and back & chest weight session
    Monday: Les Mills Body Combat 60 minutes and lower body weight session
    Tuesday: 30 mins only cardio, normally 25 min run on treadmill 5 mins warm up n cool down (not much I know but work later on Tuesday) and 60 mins Les mills body pump
    Wednesday: Offffff.......!!!! :)
    Thursday: body combat les mills and triceps/bicep weight session
    Friday: combat tone and another leg session in weight room
    Saturday well deserved day off.

Not eating back my exercise calories. I'd be piling on the weight if that were the case, google carbimazole....may give you a better understanding.

I have been very accurate with my logging, most days I have 1200 calories but then there are days I have 1500. It wouldn't be beneficial to me not to be accurate.

Thanks for your help n advice.

• Sophannah2017
    Sophannah2017 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am facing the same struggle and can totally relate in regard to hypothyroidism. It is discouraging. Keep trying. My endocrinologist told me I had to take in only 1000 calories and recommended the Mediterranean diet. I was told to eat small meals every two to three hours to keep the metabolism revving. Hang in there.

Oh I haven't heard of that diet, I'll certainly google it.
    I have my next endo appt on 25th June, my diet is the top of my question list.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    No, not due just now.

Along these lines, think about trying a weight trending app like Happy Scale (iPhone) or Libra (Android). Daily data points help the program show you the overall trend of where you're headed and help take the stress of the daily fluctuations out (you realize they don't mean anything) as well as the pressure that can come from the one-day-a-week weigh-in. I used to weight once a week and started freaking out several days before.

Hang in there! :smiley:
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Your post is very informative, thank you. Let me answer few of ur questions.

My cardio routine:
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much cardio. You are endangering muscle mass which will lower your BMR, make it harder to lose more weight and even harder to keep the weight off.
    I bet you are not getting 1/2 of the protein you need to try to protect your muscle mass in the first place.
    The "weight training" you list must be a fluff and pump routine, which will get you nowhere.
    How do I know? Because there is no way you could be training your "lower body" properly after 60 minutes of cardio.
    At the very least the weight training should ALWAYS be first unless you are training for specific goals.

Find a popular weight lifting program that focuses on the compound barbell movements at weights around 5RM to 8RM and stick to it for at least 12 weeks / 3 months.
    Then check your progress and make modifications to your weight training routine as needed.
    Do cardio on the days you are not lifting or at least after you perform your weight training for the day. Do not use energy on cardio when it would be better spent building muscle.
    As a woman, make sure you are taking a multi-vitamin, calcium supplement and iron supplement each day. Very inexpensive "insurance" so to speak.

The added muscle mass and bone density will make you feel sexier, improve your self-confidence, enhance your coordination / balance, help prevent osteoporosis, offset sarcopenia and raise your Basal Metabolic Rate.

Raising your BMR will help you burn more calories and -more importantly- help you keep body fat from returning.

Cardio alone (even HIIT) usually lowers your BMR over time because your body starts breaking down muscle which is "expensive" metabolically speaking. That is why it is so easy for your "weight" (fat) to return after cardio-focused exercise plans, but it also means your body fat percentage will be higher every time it does so!
    It is a vicious cycle almost completely due to prioritizing cardio routines over building muscle in the majority of the population.

There are several beginner lifting programs recommended on here almost daily.
    StrongLifts5x5, Thinner Leaner Stronger, Greyskull LP, lots more to choose from.
    If you have specific goals then many people can help with specific recommendations.
    You can easily lose 2 inches off your waist in a good 12-week weight training program. Often more, depending on your diet adherence.

Do the work if you want the results. That is my advice.
    My last client lost 80lbs in 9 months, so I know it can be done - even though she became obsessive about everything once she started seeing positive results.

It seems like you may have developed a decent work ethic and are motivated, if nothing else.
    Now just develop the discipline to do the hard things that are more effective and efficient.
    Then you will be happier with your results in the long-term.

Working hard at building a FENCE is fine but if what you need is a BRIDGE then all of your hard work on your fence will not make much difference.
    You will still be up the creek once you need to get across.
    You don't blame the hammer, nails or boards when you don't have what you want at the end, do you?
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Watch what your eating a little closer, maybe some of the foods your eating are too heavy. I expierenced a problem with trying to loose weight and i just kept gaining, over time i didnt give up and decided to stop eating red meat, and i eat lighter foods i excersise often and drink plenty of water and in time I've began losing weight and haven't stopped, dont be down on yourself just switch your diet up a little.