whats a good, goal to have?

Options
i weigh 100kg's.. (220lbs ) and wanna i guess get down to 80 kg's.. (176lbs ) should i have that as my goal, or maybe just to 90kgs (198lbs) ?? btw had to use google to convert for me..lol

should i do smaller goals ??? or leave it as 80kgs ??

Replies

• JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of goals. I have a long range ending size I'd like to be but also have shorter range goals of 5-10 pounds at a time. Good luck!
  • Brooke6199
    Brooke6199 Posts: 30
    Options
    I think it depends on what works best for you. Are you a "have it right now" type of person? Maybe a little impatient? If so you may want to set several small goals...like 10 pounds at a time. However, if you are in no rush I say stick to your long term goal! It's really what will work best for you mentally. I remember reading once that someone said "I can't lose 100 pounds, but I can lose 10 pounds 10 times." I have always remembered that!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    A good goal is challenging yet achievable! Try to satisfy both those things and you have a good goal in my book.
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would set smaller goals and adjust them as you reach them for two reasons.

1) Losing smaller amounts of weight at a time gradually means you are less likely to lose muscle
    2) Psychologically you are more likely to achieve smaller goals and feel a greater sense of accomplishment than taking a long time to reach a hefty goal
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i'd go with the lower in my opinion, but reassess when you hit the higher!
  • Raphael_9001
    Options
    I set myself up with small goals like stepping stones that will lead to my ultimate goal. I'm at 195 lbs and my first goal was to make sure that MFP would work, so I'm just focusing on losing a pound a week like is recommended. Once I figure out if this sight is going to help me or not I set my goal to be down to 170 lbs. Once I get there, it's 150 lbs. Then from then on it's what ever else I'll be able to lose from then on.

So although you might have bigger goals in mind, just focus on small goals that will eventually lead you to your ultimate goal. Start out small and then work your way up to more challenging.

Maybe work your way down a few pounds, then 5 lbs, then 15 lbs, 20 and 25 lbs and so on (however much that converts back into kg's)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    You have to set it for what makes sense for your personality I think as others have said below, but if you set it at your ultimate goal make sure you reward yourself for your progress too.

I personally set mine at 150 which is the "No longer overweight" weight (Actually I think its 155 but whatever) but now I wish I'd just set the goal I want - Every time I see my ticker I think "wow I'm nearly half way - wait no I'm not I don't want to stop at 150!".

Also having that longer term goal means that in a week (or month!) when your weight goes up or stays the same you can help yourself feel better by stepping back and looking at the big picture, you know like "I've lost 15 pounds in 3 months, thats XX% of my goal" instead of "I haven't lost any pounds since I lost my last 10, I'm at 0 pounds lost for the last X weeks!"

But thats my personality, yours is different.

Also don't set your loss for 2lbs a week - I think that's too aggressive for almost everyone.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    thanks guys so much.. i have set it for 20 kgs... so i get to 80kgs.. BUT i'm doing it in 5kg lots!!! i'm excited!!! 5 kgs is a easier goal, and i yes i gotta see that i am getting there in order to keep going :)
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    My weight loss number is so big because when I weight around 200lbs, I went to visit the doc and he told me that I needed to lose around 40lbs to be within a normal weight number for my height... so I just added on how much I weigh now to that and then some (I want to lose more than that, but we'll see!).

Do what works for you. That's all that matters.