Diet Help!!

Options
joslynajohnson96
joslynajohnson96 Posts: 1 Member
I workout 4-6 days a week with each day consisting of at least 30 minutes of cardio. I have maintained my weight fairly well, but I want to LOSE weight. I feel like the problem is my diet. I often crave breads and pastas, but I was wondering if anyone had any recipes that will help me get my craving of carbs, but is always lean? I recently started eating tortillas and making wraps. Any other suggestions of what to eat or rights and wrongs would be helpful!

Replies

• bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Oh boy
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I workout 4-6 days a week with each day consisting of at least 30 minutes of cardio. I have maintained my weight fairly well, but I want to LOSE weight. I feel like the problem is my diet. I often crave breads and pastas, but I was wondering if anyone had any recipes that will help me get my craving of carbs, but is always lean? I recently started eating tortillas and making wraps. Any other suggestions of what to eat or rights and wrongs would be helpful!

You just need a calorie deficit... so eat less.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

You just need a calorie deficit... so eat less.

This^

Learn to incorporate bread & pasta into your diet......in the appropriate amounts. Measure portions and log them.
    Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out.

Sure, you can eliminate those things short term but what is the maintenance strategy? Because losing weight is just the first step.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Are you logging your food? I eat bread and pasta every day, in addition to potatoes, rice, fruit, etc. Tortillas and wraps can be helpful "if" they have less calories than the 2 slices of bread you would have used. You can also use lettuce to wrap your sandwich stuff. I personally found I would rather find low cal bread I liked, and eat pasta in a more moderate serving size, than give them up. But you have to find what works for you!

Set up your profile in MFP and get a calorie goal. Start logging everything accurately and consistently for a couple of weeks. Weigh out your bread and pasta so you get a more exact idea of what a serving size is and how many calories it's contributing. Then you can make an informed decision on whether a "substitute" is worth it to you.

If you aren't losing weight, you're eating too many calories. Cutting back on carbs may be the easiest way for you to eat less calories, but you don't have to if you can cut somewhere else.
  • bendersuzi
    bendersuzi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Carbs are my weakness, too. I lost 60 pounds in eight months, am maintaining through the summer, trying to let my skin shrink to my new size, and plan to lose the final 50 next winter.

I use a scale to keep accurate track of my intake and log everything, down to a single raisin or peanut. I have to cook for my family who are not trying to lose weight so I cook/eat our usual recipes, but for my plate add extra protein/vegetables.

I swap out vegetables for usual carbs, and add a very small portion of those carbs as a garnish. For instance I eat pasta sauce on vegetable 'noodles' with a garnish of a few pasta noodles. I substitute cauliflower rice or grated vegetables for rice and for mashed potatoes adding a small portion of the real rice/potatoes on top. I eat pizza with cauliflower crust. My family eats whole grilled-cheese sanwiches with a salad, I have a salad with grilled cheese croutons. I eat sandwiches open face with lettuce/cabbage leaf as the top, to cut the carbs in half. I cut my bagels into very thin slices and use cream cheese with greek yogurt or cottage cheese as the spread. For packaged products, like macaroni and cheese, I get one tablespoon, and take very small bites to make it last. Yesterday I shared a lava cake with my son. My portion was 1 inch square, and I had a very-low-cal shrimp salad with lime juice as dressing for dinner to offset the calories from the cake.

On holidays, or birthdays, or potlucks, I eat all I want without guilt, then go back to the schedule the next day. For me it's just about matching your food intake, with the intake needed for your loss goals and increasing activity to reach the deficit you need.

Good luck.
  • siyana1985
    siyana1985 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'd say just have LESS carbs. i have a weekness for rice! I work it into my diet about once a week and still stay within my calorie goal, also i enjoy my tortilla's (small ones, only 100cals in 1) maybe twice a week. moderation and keeping the rest of your day in a way that keeps you at your calorie goal still lets you enjoy the things you love
  • nicolekcunningham82
    nicolekcunningham82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To kick my cravings for sugar, I keep them out my house. I don't even buy them. You may have to do this if you're not already doing it.