today's the day! Sugar Detoxing, and inspiration

Options
Hello all!

I'm taking the 'plunge' as scary as it feels, today I will try to get through just one day at a time without added sugars. I wanted to ask you a few things, if anyone would just chime in and share their thoughts or experiences, I'd love that!

- Dairy is considered a 'natural' sugar, so why are things like milkshakes and ice creme so bad? Or does this have natural as well as, the added or bad sugars?

- so when detoxing, would you recommend keeping dairy or cutting it? What are some good non-dairy alternatives for coffee or tea

- Fruit is also a 'natural' sugar but for the purpose of detoxing I wanted to ask, maybe this too is best to be avoided. for the 21DSD for example, the only fruits allowed are limes lemons, green apples and grapefruit.

Replies

• goyangi_kitty
    goyangi_kitty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! Oh, sorry - I meant 'natural' vs 'added sugar' I hope that's more clear. It is definitely the latter that I want to avoid. I wasn't so clear on the former.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    You are asking critical questions, I think that is good and ultimately will enable you to see how pointless "detoxing", restricted food choices and fear of "added" sugar is. If your intention is to eat healthier, there's no reason to be scared, because it's really simple and pleasant - increase intake of fruit and vegs, decrease intake of sweets and fastfood, cook more at home, don't eat too much, but eat food you like and enjoy it.

Exactly this.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Your body needs sugar. Doesn't matter the form. Find a way to fit anything you like to eat within your calorie/nutritional goals. This will help you maintain your weight loss throughout your entire life.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    theres no good sugar or bad sugar per say but it makes a difference to our body in terms of what kind of sugar we consume. glucose is a simple sugar that goes directly n immediately into our blood stream n causes an insulin spike(therefore triggering fat storage mode). frutose is a complex sugar that must go to our diggestive system n slowly released into the blood stream n doesnt cause any insulin spike n therefore doesnt trigger fat storage mode. fruit has both glucose n frutose plus fiber. this slows down the release of sugar into the blood stream further. in conclusion, eating fruits is a lot better than eating foods with simple sugar. yes our body needs sugar but we dont want all the sugar to go into our blood stream all at once unless u r a professional athlete who can use that energy RIGHT NOW, else our body will store that sugar as fat.

PS i know there r 4 types of sugar so maybe someone else can elaborate further

PS2 i agree that calorie deficit is the only factor for weight loss n 1000 calorie is 1000 calorie to our body but there is still a different on what kind of food that we intake. drinking 100 calorie of juice takes our body next to no effort to diggest whereas eating 100 calorie of meat will take the body up to 25 calories to diggest that so we r automatically up to 25 calories ahead.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by "detoxing"? Just cutting out all sugar? Sugar, in moderation, is not evil.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »
    theres no good sugar or bad sugar per say but it makes a difference to our body in terms of what kind of sugar we consume. glucose is a simple sugar that goes directly n immediately into our blood stream n causes an insulin spike(therefore triggering fat storage mode). frutose is a complex sugar that must go to our diggestive system n slowly released into the blood stream n doesnt cause any insulin spike n therefore doesnt trigger fat storage mode. fruit has both glucose n frutose plus fiber. this slows down the release of sugar into the blood stream further. in conclusion, eating fruits is a lot better than eating foods with simple sugar. yes our body needs sugar but we dont want all the sugar to go into our blood stream all at once unless u r a professional athlete who can use that energy RIGHT NOW, else our body will store that sugar as fat.

PS2 i agree that calorie deficit is the only factor for weight loss n 1000 calorie is 1000 calorie to our body but there is still a different on what kind of food that we intake. drinking 100 calorie of juice takes our body next to no effort to diggest whereas eating 100 calorie of meat will take the body up to 25 calories to diggest that so we r automatically up to 25 calories ahead.

you do know even if you were to cut out all sugar,other foods you eat would be converted into glucose right? and insulin spikes even happen in healthy people and its a normal process when eating food. we need to produce insulin. some just produce too much or not enough and it has nothing to do with sugar, it has to do with the pancreas.the difference with sugars without fiber vs those with fibers(fruits/veggies vs juices or say candy) is that they are digested more slowly due to the fiber. insulin spikes wont trigger fat storage mode if you are eating in a deficit. fat storage happens when you eat more calories than your body burns.
  • beanz744
    edited June 2017
    Options

you do know even if you were to cut out all sugar,other foods you eat would be converted into glucose right? and insulin spikes even happen in healthy people and its a normal process when eating food. we need to produce insulin. some just produce too much or not enough and it has nothing to do with sugar, it has to do with the pancreas.the difference with sugars without fiber vs those with fibers(fruits/veggies vs juices or say candy) is that they are digested more slowly due to the fiber. insulin spikes wont trigger fat storage mode if you are eating in a deficit. fat storage happens when you eat more calories than your body burns.

i did not say to cut out all simple sugar nor i do that myself. i m simply pointing out that theres a diff to our body whether we r consuming simple sugar or fruit to attempt to answer one of the questions from OP.

frutose must go thru our diggestive system first whereas glucose doesnt so there is a difference. do i consume glucose, yes. can we 100% avoid glucose, no. should i know the difference fruits n candy, i should n i do.

for people who like to know more abt this subject
    https://youtu.be/5zyqyXTQhiw

PS do kids get sugar high from candies? YES do kids get sugar high from fruits? probably not. hmmmm...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

i did not say to cut out all simple sugar nor i do that myself. i m simply pointing out that theres a diff to our body whether we r consuming simple sugar or fruit to attempt to answer one of the questions from OP.

frutose must go thru our diggestive system first whereas glucose doesnt so there is a difference. do i consume glucose, yes. can we 100% avoid glucose, no. should i know the difference fruits n candy, i should n i do.

for people who like to know more abt this subject
    https://youtu.be/5zyqyXTQhiw

PS do kids get sugar high from candies? YES do kids get sugar high from fruits? probably not. hmmmm...

nope sugar does not cause a sugar high in kids or make them hyper http://www.yalescientific.org/2010/09/mythbusters-does-sugar-really-make-children-hyper/

I also did not say you cut out all sugar and your body breaks down all sugars the same,some just are broken down a lot more slowly.what other differences are there in breaking them down? and all our food has to go through our digestive system.https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/digestive-system-how-it-works
  • beanz744
    Options
    glucose bypass the liver n fructose doesnt but u r right that all food goes thru our digestive system. it was my wrong choice of words. u win.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hi! Oh, sorry - I meant 'natural' vs 'added sugar' I hope that's more clear. It is definitely the latter that I want to avoid. I wasn't so clear on the former.

@goyangi_kitty I understood what you were saying in your post.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    glucose bypass the liver n fructose doesnt but u r right that all food goes thru our digestive system. it was my wrong choice of words. u win.

Fruit contains fructose, glucose, and sucrose. Sucrose (which is what table sugar is, so also the sugar in, say, cookies or that you might add to some oats) is made up of, wait for it, fructose and glucose.

Comparing fruit (which contains sugar) to just plain sugar makes no sense. (Btw, your "simple sugar" -- the sugar in fruit is simple too, all sugars are simple carbs and people just think "simple" sounds bad and use it as an insult.) Very few people eat just sugar. The question is how does fruit compare to some other food with sugar. In many cases, it has more fiber, more nutrients, and fewer calories (although half of the calories in a cookie is from fat, so blaming sugar for cookies being caloric isn't really fair). But not always -- does it matter if you add a tsp of sugar to coffee (I wouldn't, I hate sweetened coffee, but it's a small amount of calories if you enjoy it). Is an apple always better than some steel cut oats with whey and a bit of sugar added? Is adding some cooked apples to my pork chop always better than adding cranberries or rhubarb since I'd probably want to use a bit of sugar or honey with them (if I didn't have orange juice or a sweeter fruit around, anyway).

Foods aren't all the same, but generally the differences don't have to do with sucrose being bad for you and fruit sugar being fine -- to your body they aren't really different (but again the foods they are in may be and often are).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You are asking critical questions, I think that is good and ultimately will enable you to see how pointless "detoxing", restricted food choices and fear of "added" sugar is. If your intention is to eat healthier, there's no reason to be scared, because it's really simple and pleasant - increase intake of fruit and vegs, decrease intake of sweets and fastfood, cook more at home, don't eat too much, but eat food you like and enjoy it.
    Sugar is not toxic and detoxification is taken care of in a great manner by your body (mainly liver) It is very good at it too.
    However if you mean that you want to avoid added sugars for a while to break a habit that can be a good start. I did that when I first started, not because of the reasons you mentioned, but because I noticed that my go to snacks were always sugary calorie dense foods and I needed to cut back on calories. Well what easier way then cutting those out for a few weeks and then see them as an occasional thing? If that is what you mean by detoxing - as in breaking a habit. go for it.

Great answers.
    Dairy is considered a 'natural' sugar, so why are things like milkshakes and ice creme so bad? Or does this have natural as well as, the added or bad sugars?

They are not "so bad," but they do contain added sugar as well as lactose (dairy sugar) and, of course, fat, which is why they are quite caloric. For many people they are also easy to overeat (I actually find ice cream not that hard to moderate, but it took me a while).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm taking the 'plunge' as scary as it feels, today I will try to get through just one day at a time without added sugars. I wanted to ask you a few things, if anyone would just chime in and share their thoughts or experiences, I'd love that!

- Dairy is considered a 'natural' sugar, so why are things like milkshakes and ice creme so bad? Or does this have natural as well as, the added or bad sugars?

- so when detoxing, would you recommend keeping dairy or cutting it? What are some good non-dairy alternatives for coffee or tea

- Fruit is also a 'natural' sugar but for the purpose of detoxing I wanted to ask, maybe this too is best to be avoided. for the 21DSD for example, the only fruits allowed are limes lemons, green apples and grapefruit.

Many milkshakes and ice creams have added sugars. I you just go with naturally occurring lactose in the milk, most people would not find it sweet enough. Like whipped cream that you have whipped yourself.

Full fat dairy tends to have less lactose, or buy lactose free if you want to avoid milk sugars. Otherwise, people who are limiting added sugars just need to be aware of sugars added to stuff like yogurt or ice cream.

Fruits all have naturally occurring sugars but some have more than others. Tropical fruits like bananas and mangos, and dried fruits like raisins or dates, tend to be highest in sugar. Berries are the lowest in sugar, usually followed by fruit grown in temperate regions.

If you cut a lot of sugars from your diet, be aware that you may lose electrolytes and get headaches. You may need some extra sodium while you adjust.

Good luck!