Post anaerobic workout meals .

Options
If you are on a low carb diet, don't expect to gain any significant lean tissue
after working out (muscle) unless you add carbs after workouts.

Protein is needed to build muscles, that much most of us know. But ingesting protein
isn't the whole story when it comes to muscle building.

The process goes like this, you ingest protein and carbohydrates into the
body after an anaerobic workout (workouts that can signigicantly increase muscle mass). Your
body needs the carbohydrates for 2 reasons,

1) because carbs break down easier, your body
will immediately start using them as fuel, thus saving the protein from that task and also
preventing the body from breaking down lean tissue to use as fuel
and 2) Carbohydrates are needed to create the extra insulin that shuttles amino acids to the muscles to induce muscle recovery and building.

So Eat your carbs after a weight or other anaerobic workout! Without them, you are sabotaging your attempts to gain muscle definition or size!

here is a website that has a more in-depth description of it.

http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html

-Banks

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    If you are on a low carb diet, don't expect to gain any significant lean tissue
    after working out (muscle) unless you add carbs after workouts.

Protein is needed to build muscles, that much most of us know. But ingesting protein
    isn't the whole story when it comes to muscle building.

The process goes like this, you ingest protein and carbohydrates into the
    body after an anaerobic workout (workouts that can signigicantly increase muscle mass). Your
    body needs the carbohydrates for 2 reasons,

1) because carbs break down easier, your body
    will immediately start using them as fuel, thus saving the protein from that task and also
    preventing the body from breaking down lean tissue to use as fuel
    and 2) Carbohydrates are needed to create the extra insulin that shuttles amino acids to the muscles to induce muscle recovery and building.

So Eat your carbs after a weight or other anaerobic workout! Without them, you are sabotaging your attempts to gain muscle definition or size!

here is a website that has a more in-depth description of it.

http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html

-Banks
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ah Banks - here you go again!!! I finished my workout today and looked around trying to figure out what to eat that would benefit me in my goal of gaining muscle!! And here you are posting exactly what I need to hear!!!

YOU ARE AWESOME!!

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful information.
    :heart:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    LOL, glad I could help!:drinker: <-- double fisting Whey protein shakes. :tongue:
  • mandersen16
    Options
    This was perfect!

That is so true! The body for Life book also suggests when eating meals that you combine both protein and carbs for maximum benefit.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks, I was just looking up the best type of whey protein mix out there, and I read something that reminded me of WHY I was looking for the whey protein, and I thought "You know, I bet a lot of people don't know this".
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    THANKS BANKS! I've heard you give great advice, and once again you prove it! Now I have to apologize to my hubby for giving me the same advice and for thinking he was full of it :grumble:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    THANKS BANKS! I've heard you give great advice, and once again you prove it! Now I have to apologize to my hubby for giving me the same advice and for thinking he was full of it :grumble:

HA!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I have my whey protein shake but I haven't been doing the carbs as well. Good lookin out Banks.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    BUMP for the west coast croud! :tongue:

(I know, I know......Shameless)