Flexible dieters - macro counters- I need help!

Ok so I have tried several times to switch from counting calories to counting macros instead. I should go lower carb (insulin resistance issues) but I have found it extremely hard to get any where close to where my macros should be.

For those who have switched or are seasoned in this area do you have any tips or tricks? I get so frustrated not finding foods to fit. I feel like this should be easier than counting calories but I'm really struggling

Any help appreciated!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Open your food diary. If we see what you are eating we can suggest changes.
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    I haven't tracked recently the last time I tracked I quit and went back to just counting calories. I am wanting to start again though what I want to try and follow is p178 c111 f69 which is 1783 calories. I'm 5'4 weigh 160 and I'm in the gym a minimum of 5 days a week. Lift weights and do minimum 15 mins cardio
  • usmcmp
    Aim for protein at each meal (chicken, eggs, egg whites, fish, even ground beef) and add some vegetables. Eat some nuts or cheese as a snack. You'd even be able to fit candy or bread or granola bars in because the carbs aren't super low.

Start tracking and if you are struggling come back to ask for changes based on your current intake. Also, your insulin sensitivity will improve with weight loss, so unless you've seen significant benefits from lowering carbs or your doctor has told you to reduce them I wouldn't stress it. Sometimes it's better to adhere to a less than ideal macro set up if it's going to help you stick to your calories to drop the weight.
  • jmac4263
    Ok perfect I'll track and see how I do. I have PCOS, I dropped 40 pounds by eating better doing weight watchers and cardio only. 3 years ago I started lifting and not eating super great so I've gained some weight back. ALMOST HALF! but I have been at the 155 to 160 range for those 3 years and can't seem to get it off. I also gained this after quitting smoking which was also 3 years ago so I'm just ready to trim more
  • usmcmp
    With PCOS sometimes lowering carbs can work. You may find that you simply have to reduce your calories further than other women with your stats.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Low carb is high fat; p178 c111 f69 is high protein and that is why you struggle. Knowing which foods are high in protein is only one part of this - the hardest part is sticking to an unbalanced diet. Sticking to a balanced diet filled with food you like, on the other hand, is easy.

Your calories seem to be set properly and should be easy to stick to. Try this: 90P 111C 109F. It's the same amount of carbs, but just enough protein and plenty of fat. Protein makes insulin spike too, so forcing protein intake is not going to help any issues you have. And I think I should mention that there are also women with PCOS who thrive on medium to high carb diets. Do whatever works for you. A diet that 1) provides a calorie deficit and 2) you can stick to, is what works for you. Then it's up to you to make it work.
  • jmac4263
    That makes sense I was just following what the app I have says for low carb. I realize 111g is really not super low I have done much lower and it's miserable! 90g of protein seems much more achievable! Thanks for the input I really appreciate it!