Best Time to Take Measurements?

Options
When is the best time to measure? I know you're suppose to weigh in the morning before you eat, but I've seen alot of women at the gym measuring right after they exercise. Does anyone have any input on this? Tomorrow is weigh in day!

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    i weigh and then measure 1st thing in the morning after i use the restroom before I do anything else.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    For me, i feel the best time to do it is a time that is easy to keep consistant. Like first thing in the mornin' as normal.

I try to replicate the conditions as much as possible.
    so i get up, hit the loo, lol. (in both ways!! *gross* haha).

then measure.

if i cant "satisfy" this routine, then i dont measure that day, haha.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Oh, no. You don't want to measure after any kind of exercise. This is why. When you exercise, muscle fibers tear a little. Your body sends to that tear some fluids (water included) to help the repair process. This influx of fluids tends to 'puff' up the muscle area.

If you do intense workouts you are not used to doing, this same reaction can cause you to 'gain' weight. It is just water retention and goes away as the fibers heal and repair themselves.

If you are going to measure yourself, I'm not certain what time of day is best. Try to measure with no clothes, or the thinnest possible clothes. Don't pull the measure to your desired number, let it rest on whatever it shows. Careful not to flex while you measure some places, like calves or biceps, lean yourself comfortably against something and release the muscle tension, then measure.

But please try not to measure after exercise, this will give you a number that means practically nothing!
  • jenndz22
    jenndz22 Posts: 1
    Options
    I believe your true measurement is what you wake up at in the morning. However even after a workout I don't think it'd be much difference. Your best bet at seeing results is measuring yourself at the same time, same day every week! Good luck!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    In the morning, after you use the bathroom to do whatever you have to do. Then relax (don't flex or suck in) and measure. That will be the most accurate measurement--after you get rid of 'extra' stuff, before you eat, and natural, not in a forced pose. That way you really know where you are, not where sucking in or food or drink or exercise or other variable things have put you that day.
  • MommyLumpkin
    Options
    Thanks so much. That was very helpful!
  • soupysmom
    soupysmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay, measure first thing in the morning, so is bra on or off when you measure?
  • nifty50fitandlean
    nifty50fitandlean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I keep a bra on or I couldn't really measure straight across - lol
  • mrssie1223
    mrssie1223 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi Nifty50fitandlean! I can totally relate. I'm 56, 57 on June 13th, and after losing 89 lbs, the girls are starting to look like two empty wine bags! LOL :smiley: Thank goodness for my underwire pushup bra! ;)