Help if you can. Binge eating disorder

Options
whippedcargo893
whippedcargo893 Posts: 9 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Suffering from a life long binge eating disorder. Any wisdom is appreciated. Kind words only please. Thank you

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've struggled with binge and bulimia for years. I still binge occasionally but far much less than I used to.
    Feel free to add me. It's not a quick recovery process. Seek professional help if you can
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Ive struggled with Bulemia (and more disordered eating behaviors) off and on since 1983. The poster above is correct - please see a doctor, conselour, etc. Great resource: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
    You are not alone, and it can be overcome.
  • drimbruno2016
    drimbruno2016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We are all different. I've been on recovery for years. It comes and goes. Be patient with yourself. Antidepressants have helped me a lot. You should definitely seek a professional for advice.
    Good luck and remember you are not alone.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have a binge eating disorder for over 45 years. I am in binge mode now and have been trying to get back to a healthy losing weight plan. I have not been successful. The last dietician I went to, who specializes in eating disorders, gave me a plan. But it was not to lose weight. Eating carbs at every meal. Eating snacks 3x a day. I told her I never need a snack between breakfast and lunch. And that I would not lose weight eating all those carbs. She told me to come back after I lost my weight. She would not help me. Not sure why she couldn't work with me. Many dieticians and therapists will tell when you ask if they know about eating disorders. Many will tell you yes even though they do not. One therapist told me I should binge 5 days and diet two days. Another therapist told me to buy one of those health magazines and read a before and after story of a woman who lost weight and she did add that I should not look at the pretty sexy woman on the cover.
    So I believe that you should start with a dietician and/or therapist and you may have to keep searching for the right one. There are many many books you can get. Some people I have heard like the books on behavior modification. I define myself as a dieter/binger. That is really what I have been focused on all these 45 years, very sad. I wish you all the best and never give up. You are so worth it. Hugs and more hugs
  • masaku_88
    masaku_88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I struggled for years with binging and them I went vegan on a whim, and im not sure why but i stopped binging. Im serious. Idk if itll work for you bc im not sure why it worked for me, but it did.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I agree that it would be a good idea to seek counseling or some other kind of assistance. I've been listening to a podcast lately called Nutrition Matters, and it's all about having a healthier relationship with food. She talks to a lot of people who have had food issues and have overcome them. That might provide some additional insight.
  • Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with distinctlybea... I think you could benefit from counseling and perhaps medical treatment to develop a structured course of action. That's what I had to do. I saw a doctor (which was hard for me to do) and now I have a plan that to follow. Granted, I'm only in my first week. But the glycemic Index diet (http://www.the-gi-diet.org/whatisthegidiet/) and using the My Fitness Pal food diary have helped me quite a bit. I've had no desire to fall back into my old patterns yet. We'll see how it goes.

NOTE: If you do see a doctor, try to work with them. Don't be shy about asking questions.

I hope this helps. I look forward to watching your progress. :)

also, as you can see from the earlier posts, you are not alone.
  • amandamoyer5423
    amandamoyer5423 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try listening to a podcast called "fearless rebel radio" by summer innanen. And also " reclaiming you" by Sarah Vance. I am in recovery, not really sure why I am even still logging my food- but these two women have helped me so much in this whole process. Just know you are not alone.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    seek professional help.
  • whippedcargo893
    whippedcargo893 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your feedback. I have reached out to a local dietitian who deals with eating disorders who can hopefully point me in the right direction to get some help. I don't normally listen to podcasts but it might be a good time to start as it seems a few of you find them really helpful. Thanks again.
  • stefan0325
    stefan0325 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have any binge eating dusorder AFAIK. But I did eat until the food became unappetizing before moving on to dessert. I found that strict calorie counting made it quite easy for me. Once I hit my calorie limit, I just knew that that qas it for the day. I didn't switch to a healthier diet and sometines had days where I ate 5 Snickers in the morning and reached my limit. After about 2 weeks I automatically started craving a more diverse diet. But telling myself that once I hit the daily limit, that's it, worjed for me.