How to reduce cholesterol

Options
My doctor told me I have borderline high cholesterol. Like I'm 'heading in the bad direction'. What foods can I incorporate in my diet that are good for lowering cholesterol?

Replies

• phoenixmed
    phoenixmed Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Fast walking 30 minutes 6 times a week. Reduce alcohol.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal...the traditional cook on the hob kind not the quick nuke for a minute kind.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was in your shoes a few years ago with an LDL of ~203 (normal is under 100) and Total Chol of ~280 mg/dl (normal is under 200). I used to eat paleo, which is high in meats and saturated fat. I quit paleo 2 yrs ago and cut back on meat, chicken, cheese, butters and oils, all high in saturated fat.

Now, 90-95% of my calories come from plant foods and overall dietary fat is around 15% at most. I've been checking my cholesterol every 6 months since then and it went down ~100 points since I quit paleo. My Total Chol is now norml and consistently under 180 and my LDL around 100 +/-10. The key was to lower saturated fat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There are a few ways to go about lowering cholesterol. Getting rid of refined carbs and sugars seems to help many. Some then go high plant matter and others go higher fat and lower carb. Both can work.

I would check what your cholesterol actually is. Was it a total cholesterol? That's not a very useful test. High HDL? If so great. High LDL? That's only a problem if the particle size is small.

Try a book like Cholesterol Clarity, Cholesterol Con, or the Great Cholesterol Myth.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    All of the above are great ideas. However, don't be frustrated if you incorporate them and find that your cholesterol is still high. You may be genetically predisposed. My husband was athletic and had very little body fat. He was very conscious of his dietand he still had high cholesterol. He went vegan for a year and a half in order to see if he could affect his cholesterol levels. They didn't budge. Bad genetics. Boy, was he ever happy to be able to nibble a little really good cheese now and then!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The 2 most effective ways to reduce cholesterol is to reduce body fat and to get vigorous exercise. Trying to eat your way there is the hard way. Most recent studies indicate there is little relationship between dietary and serum cholesterol.
  • hjg0989
    hjg0989 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    The 2 most effective ways to reduce cholesterol is to reduce body fat and to get vigorous exercise. Trying to eat your way there is the hard way. Most recent studies indicate there is little relationship between dietary and serum cholesterol.

I keep reading that dietary cholesterol doesn't impact the level of cholesterol in the blood. However, I was pescaterian and ate wild caught salmon and eggs. I had a fasting blood test for cholesterol. I then went vegan and 8 weeks later had my cholesterol tested again and my LDL dropped 22%. My exercise and weight and general schedule stayed the same.

So, my personal test showed me that dietary cholesterol did impact my blood cholesterol levels.

• DiannaOnMaui
    DiannaOnMaui Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Whole foods, plant-based eating. You'll see benefits in every area.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    hjg0989 wrote: »

I keep reading that dietary cholesterol doesn't impact the level of cholesterol in the blood. However, I was pescaterian and ate wild caught salmon and eggs. I had a fasting blood test for cholesterol. I then went vegan and 8 weeks later had my cholesterol tested again and my LDL dropped 22%. My exercise and weight and general schedule stayed the same.

So, my personal test showed me that dietary cholesterol did impact my blood cholesterol levels.

Which is why I said "little relationship" and not "no relationship". Also, doesn't change the fact that reducing body fat and increasing exercise are the 2 most effective ways to improve cholesterol and total lipid profile. Or that eating your way there is not the hard way. A 22% reduction in LDL is a positive change but one small factor in a larger picture. Feel free to go to PubMed and review the studies.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have Familial Hypercholesterolemia(its genetic) for me just losing weight didnt help as I was diagnosed when I was thin. I have to be on a low fat/low cholesterol/high fiber diet,along with meds my cholesterol is now in normal ranges. I had it more than 15 years and everything else I tried didnt work. I tried just low fat/low cholesterol diet without meds, tried more fruits and veggies and less meat with meds,still high. I tried keto(before I knew it was FH) that didnt help either.

for people like me dietary cholesterol does have an impact on my cholesterol levels as my liver produces too much as it is. most people with high cholesterol are misdiagnosed so get tested to see if you Have FH or not. its often misdiagnosed and it can be deadly if not treated properly whether it be diet and exercise or with meds and diet.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    hjg0989 wrote: »

for some it does impact our cholesterol levels.for others it doesnt
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »
    Lose weight

doesnt work that way for everyone. I was diagnosed when I was thin.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    masaku_88 wrote: »
    Cut out animal products.

I eat animal products and lowered mine with a low fat,low cholesterol high fiber diet and meds
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have Familial Hypercholesterolemia(its genetic) for me just losing weight didnt help as I was diagnosed when I was thin. I have to be on a low fat/low cholesterol/high fiber diet,along with meds my cholesterol is now in normal ranges. I had it more than 15 years and everything else I tried didnt work. I tried just low fat/low cholesterol diet without meds, tried more fruits and veggies and less meat with meds,still high. I tried keto(before I knew it was FH) that didnt help either.

for people like me dietary cholesterol does have an impact on my cholesterol levels as my liver produces too much as it is. most people with high cholesterol are misdiagnosed so get tested to see if you Have FH or not. its often misdiagnosed and it can be deadly if not treated properly whether it be diet and exercise or with meds and diet.

My doctor just said I was "blessed" by genetics. I've never been overweight. I'm fit and active in endurance sports and have always eaten a well-balanced diet that is high is fiber and low in cholesterol. I have a 21.5 BMI. I had 280 cholesterol last time it was checked!!! Great blood pressure, great blood sugar, otherwise healthy. My "good" cholesterol was high enough to be a mitigating factor, though, and since I have no additional risk factors, we're not doing meds at this point.

I have found in the past the only time I could get my cholesterol down to borderline (195-210) was when I dropped my body fat down to 25% or below. So I'm working on that. My weight doesn't seem to be a factor, but body fat does. I'm at 28% currently, due to laziness issues, so I'm now working to get that back down and see what happens. I'm expecting the usual drop in cholesterol with the drop in body fat. I just find it a challenge to drop BF when I'm already at my goal weight. Ugh. Recomp is sooo slow.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

My doctor just said I was "blessed" by genetics. I've never been overweight. I'm fit and active in endurance sports and have always eaten a well-balanced diet that is high is fiber and low in cholesterol. I have a 21.5 BMI. I had 280 cholesterol last time it was checked!!! Great blood pressure, great blood sugar, otherwise healthy. My "good" cholesterol was high enough to be a mitigating factor, though, and since I have no additional risk factors, we're not doing meds at this point.

I have found in the past the only time I could get my cholesterol down to borderline (195-210) was when I dropped my body fat down to 25% or below. So I'm working on that. My weight doesn't seem to be a factor, but body fat does. I'm at 28% currently, due to laziness issues, so I'm now working to get that back down and see what happens. I'm expecting the usual drop in cholesterol with the drop in body fat. I just find it a challenge to drop BF when I'm already at my goal weight. Ugh. Recomp is sooo slow.

yeah it may be that you may need to tweak your diet of go on meds at some point. maybe not though. Im about 24% body fat but even when I was 140 lbs(when I was first diagnosed,Im now 166). I was at a healthy weight and didnt have a lot of body fat and still had issues. for me my triglycerides LDL-C and LDL-P were high.They are all at normal levels now. for me I also ended up with fat pads/xanthomas/xanthelasmas ,which are now almost non existent.it sucks having genetic issues.

I didnt have any other risk factors either but having this genetic issue with cholesterol IS a risk factor, left untreated(in my case)it can lead to heart attack/stroke/TIA and I didnt want to risk that so I decided that since diet and exercise alone wasnt working I would try meds. best thing I did. Ive tried all types of ways of eating and this is whats working. hope you can get yours down and find what works the best.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

yeah it may be that you may need to tweak your diet of go on meds at some point. maybe not though. Im about 24% body fat but even when I was 140 lbs(when I was first diagnosed,Im now 166). I was at a healthy weight and didnt have a lot of body fat and still had issues. for me my triglycerides LDL-C and LDL-P were high.They are all at normal levels now. for me I also ended up with fat pads/xanthomas/xanthelasmas ,which are now almost non existent.it sucks having genetic issues.

I didnt have any other risk factors either but having this genetic issue with cholesterol IS a risk factor, left untreated(in my case)it can lead to heart attack/stroke/TIA and I didnt want to risk that so I decided that since diet and exercise alone wasnt working I would try meds. best thing I did. Ive tried all types of ways of eating and this is whats working. hope you can get yours down and find what works the best.

The words "familial hypercholesterolemia" were not used, so I don't know if I have that. I've had high cholesterol since the first time it was ever checked - at age 28 or so. The doctor just talked about how some people genetically have crappy cholesterol even when they live healthy lifestyles - which I thought was unfair. But now that I've read this, I'm a little scared! My seemingly healthy, not obese, non-smoking great-grandma died of a massive heart attack in her late 50's. I'm probably doomed...probably need to follow up with a doctor to see if that is, in fact, what I have. :o
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

The words "familial hypercholesterolemia" were not used, so I don't know if I have that. I've had high cholesterol since the first time it was ever checked - at age 28 or so. The doctor just talked about how some people genetically have crappy cholesterol even when they live healthy lifestyles - which I thought was unfair. But now that I've read this, I'm a little scared! My seemingly healthy, not obese, non-smoking great-grandma died of a massive heart attack in her late 50's. I'm probably doomed...probably need to follow up with a doctor to see if that is, in fact, what I have. :o

yeah it could have been that. not saying for sure but heart attacks/strokes,etc for women in their 50s are common place for those with FH who dont treat it. the only way to find out is genetic testing, unless you have the other issues I have had and know for a fact someone in your family has had genetic cholesterol issues.My kids have a 50% chance of getting it too since Im the only one who has it. if two parents have it then a child born will have it and it can be deadly for a child as well. I was in my late 20s too when diagnosed. but back then you didnt hear about these things. I had no idea I had it until about a year ago.also my liver enzymes were always high too because of it. so thats another symptom.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Dont you have to have genetic testing to confirm FH?
    Or they just say "well my dad and his parents always had high cholesterol so I have FH? "
    Are hereditary cholesterol issues and FH one and the same?
    I cant seem to find an answer to this.

Father is on 2 meds for high chol., his father passed of HA @79 ... My fathers total cholesterol was over 300 prior to meds- but i cannot attest to his diet although Im sure its poor and he is an alcoholic. <A part of me hopes its their lifestyle vs FH>

So my cholesterol is "inherited" from my father's side. My LDL in Feb was 199. Total =290
    My LDL has been over 165-197, now 199 ever since I started checking it (within the last 7 years or so)

BP even through 3 pregnancies, triglycerides, and HDL are all stellar.

Im 33 -5'4" and 156 lbs.
    When I was 31 and 133lbs it was still high.
    My diet can stand to see several improvements as a cholesterol conscious person that I really need to be. But surely overall, its not the culprit of a 199 LDL. I ask myself, are dietary changes and weight loss enough to drop it 99pts?!

Im just curious since Ive seen so many of your posts about this. As my cardiologist said today- if I put in all the work and dedication to alter my LDL (like "lose 30lbs, do an hour of HIIT for an hour daily and be religious about my diet") ...it may still yield a ridiculous LDL. And that statins - or problems by the time im 50yo- are my paths to choose from.