FitBit or Apple watch? HELP!

Options
I used to have a Garmin watch but it broke and I want to buy another one, I feel like it really helps me push myself in my workouts. However, I'm stuck between getting a FitBit or an Apple watch. I have an iPhone and a Macbook Pro so I feel like having an Apple watch would be ideal (with syncing everything). Do you guys recommend one or the other? Why?

Replies

• ncrobles
    ncrobles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So, I have had many iterations of the FitBit. I've never had an Apple Watch, so I cant' speak to that. I currently have a FitBit Surge, and I do like it. My main complaint, and you will likely hear this from a lot of people with some of the better FitBits is that the band will start to bubble and the skin will peel off. I believe they will replace it when this happens (I've not even tried, because the watch itself if functional, and if I really want to, I can just buy a new band for about $20). The Surge has GPS tracking, which is the big thing I like about it. You can have favorite activities set up on it so you can easily access the exercises you do most frequently and start your exercise. For the money, I think it is a good product. Again, no experience with Apple Watch, so not sure how it compares.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    How are they even comparable? Think about what you want out of it, and that should make it pretty clear. Do you want a $150 thing that will break in 6 months and let you compete with friends to see who walks more? Or do you want a $300+ thing you have to charge every day that brings most of the power in your phone to your wrist and has a gorgeous display? (If you want a good exercise watch, you should get another Garmin or a Suunto.)
  • SandyGirl7777
    SandyGirl7777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just bought a FitBit Charge 2 and don't like it. When I take a 45 minute walk, it under counts by 1000 steps. I know this because I wear my pedometer at the same time and can see it counting real-time. This can really add up by the end of the day! Also, sometimes I'll be walking around for a bit, then come sit down at my desk and it buzzes me reminding me to get my steps in. I will be returning it.
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had a FitBit Charge, and I loved it. Really. It was simple, streamlined, and it was super-easy to track my steps and distance.

I switched up to Apple Watch. I love it, but I miss how easy it was to set step goals on my FitBit. That being said, my Apple Watch syncs easily with a lot of different apps, so I feel like I have more flexibility now in which ones I use. Besides MFP, I also use MapMyRun, Runtastic, Run 5k. I have the upgraded MapMyRun so I get heart rate feedback from my Apple Watch while I'm running, and I can stay in a given target zone. I totally love the MapMyRun Apple Watch interface. I can check my distance, heart rate, pace all just by glancing at my during the run. With the FitBit, I had to click through different screens for that. And that was okay. I just prefer the Apple Watch version.

I do sometimes still miss the FitBit, because of its simplicity. But I don't think I'd switch back. There are other things I love about my Apple Watch, including always seeing the weather (I have a face selected that shows current temp at the bottom, and I can tap that to get a weather forecast). There's a lot of clutter on the main page of the Apple Watch I wish I could remove - like Stocks. I'm not into the stock market, so it's pointless for me to have the stock market button cluttering up the screen. There are also others I never use, and I do find it annoying that I can't just remove them.

So, plusses and minuses... I guess I can say I recommend either one. Which one you choose would depend in part on whether all the "other" features of the Apple Watch are important to you.
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the Argus app installed on my Apple Watch and that is where I can set a step goal. It isn't something that I care about but I set it a few years ago on my phone and now it pops up on my watch.
    Locolady98 wrote: »
    I had a FitBit Charge, and I loved it. Really. It was simple, streamlined, and it was super-easy to track my steps and distance.

I switched up to Apple Watch. I love it, but I miss how easy it was to set step goals on my FitBit. That being said, my Apple Watch syncs easily with a lot of different apps, so I feel like I have more flexibility now in which ones I use. Besides MFP, I also use MapMyRun, Runtastic, Run 5k. I have the upgraded MapMyRun so I get heart rate feedback from my Apple Watch while I'm running, and I can stay in a given target zone. I totally love the MapMyRun Apple Watch interface. I can check my distance, heart rate, pace all just by glancing at my during the run. With the FitBit, I had to click through different screens for that. And that was okay. I just prefer the Apple Watch version.

I do sometimes still miss the FitBit, because of its simplicity. But I don't think I'd switch back. There are other things I love about my Apple Watch, including always seeing the weather (I have a face selected that shows current temp at the bottom, and I can tap that to get a weather forecast). There's a lot of clutter on the main page of the Apple Watch I wish I could remove - like Stocks. I'm not into the stock market, so it's pointless for me to have the stock market button cluttering up the screen. There are also others I never use, and I do find it annoying that I can't just remove them.

So, plusses and minuses... I guess I can say I recommend either one. Which one you choose would depend in part on whether all the "other" features of the Apple Watch are important to you.

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I have had many variations of the fitbit, all useless. They are forever experiencing fatal software or synchronisation problems and I have had more replacement fitbits than I can count. I don't have an apple watch but I do know my Garmin watch has never let me down. I would stick to Garmin tbh.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've had my AW for a year and love it. It's a great piece of tech and has really helped me with my healthier lifestyle.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have had many variations of the fitbit, all useless. They are forever experiencing fatal software or synchronisation problems and I have had more replacement fitbits than I can count. I don't have an apple watch but I do know my Garmin watch has never let me down. I would stick to Garmin tbh.

I got hit by a car while I was doing hill repeats on my bike. I was hit on the left side, thought I broke my arm; my watch was on that wrist and slammed hard into the car's hood. Not a scratch on the watch, it functioned as well after the impact as before. I was in the hospital until late the next day. Garmins are tough.
  • GirlGettingFit37
    GirlGettingFit37 Posts: 146 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch and a Fitbit Charge 2. I wear one on each wrist.
    Apple Watch:
    * more smart watch capabilities
    * Water proof and can track water activities
    * But you have to charge daily

Fitbit Charge 2:
    * tracks sleep, stairs
    * Charge lasts 5-7 days
    * Can compete with friends

• bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any input regarding which one is best for heart rate monitoring and calories burned through the day?
  • ecmjawad
    ecmjawad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit, Garmin, Nike, etc. Finally gave in and bought the Iwatch! Love it. My only complaint is that it is not waterproof however the new ones are (soon to give mine to daughter and buy new one). You do have to charge every night. I suffer from heart problems and my watch constantly takes my BP. I also love that I can use with this site. Include all the other great Iwatch perks & its my first choice. I am def sticking with Iwatch. Good luck in your choice.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch. I charge it for 30 mins in the morning when I shower and get ready for work and another 30 mins during supper. Wear it constantly otherwise.

Do your homework though, it's fairly useless for anything other than tracking steps when you don't carry your phone
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch and a Fitbit Charge 2. I wear one on each wrist.
    Apple Watch:
    * more smart watch capabilities
    * Water proof and can track water activities
    * But you have to charge daily

Fitbit Charge 2:
    * tracks sleep, stairs
    * Charge lasts 5-7 days
    * Can compete with friends

AW also tracks sleep, achieves a full charge in less than 30 mins and I will admit that the sharing aspect is under developed but it exists.
  • CindyMarie_
    CindyMarie_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your feedback and opinions!! Really insightful. Being that I received more positive feedback on the Apple Watch, I think that's what I am going to get! :wink:
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have and used many Polar HRMs never accurate in the pool I saw the series 2 apple watch and the lap swimming won me over. I swim 5 mornings it tracks my lap count and times per lap and 100 yard splits my HR and calories burned. I run 4-5 times a week and the results are equally accurate and detailed it syncs with MFP and the apple health apps easily I enjoy the many functions faces it has. For me the greatest attribute is I can see my calls texts on my wrist and don't have to stop and dig my phone out of a pocket or waist belt when I am running. I drop it onto the charger just before I go up to bed and pull it off in the morning fully charged and even on days that I workout over 3 or 4 hours I have some juice left at the end of the day. It also has a 911 function on my wrist in case of accident or falls