Such a thing as too much fruit ?

Options
raidgirl
raidgirl Posts: 33 Member
Which are the good fruits to eat ? And the ones with too much sugar to avoid ?
Of course everything might be good in moderation.....

Replies

• masaku_88
    masaku_88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat any fruit you want in moderation of course.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    masaku_88 wrote: »
    Eat any fruit you want in moderation of course.

This^

Yes, fruit has sugar but it also has fiber to slow down digestion. There is such a thing as too much fruit. Too much fruit can crowd out other nutritional components such as protein & fat.

If you are low on fiber, pick higher fiber fruit (raspberries, guava). If you have blood sugar issues pick lower glycemic fruits (cherries, grapefruit).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    All fruits are good fruits to eat. IMO, yes...there is such a thing as too much fruit. There's such a thing as too much of anything.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    raidgirl wrote: »
    Which are the good fruits to eat ? And the ones with too much sugar to avoid ?
    Of course everything might be good in moderation.....

What fruits do you like? Those are the good ones to eat.

You don't need to avoid any fruits due to sugar, there's nothing to support that idea.

However, if you (for other reasons) are doing low carb, you may find it's hard to fit higher carb fruits into your diet in more than quite small amounts. Whether that's worth it to you depends on you.

My general test to see if you are eating too much fruit (assuming you are indeed eating a lot to start with):

Are you within your calories, are you satisfied and not hungry, are you getting enough protein, are you eating a good amount of and variety of vegetables (and not just eating fruit instead), are you including adequate sources of healthy fats in your diet. If so, you are fine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Fruit has typically no fat and pretty much no protein, so too much of it can be a bad thing if you don't meet your other goals.

ETA: 'typically' no fat. I am aware that avocados are fruit, lol.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    In summer i eat around 800g-1kg of fruit everyday, mostly watermelon and cantaloupe. It's winter here now, they are still available but the prices have sky rocketed so i've had to reduce the amount a bit.

I bought 2 cantaloupes and 2 quarter watermelons the other day, for a grand total of $26 (AUD) :open_mouth: I think i have a fruit addiction lol to pay those stupid prices!

To answer your question, I still hit my protein and fat goals so eating plenty of fruit isn't too much in that context. If my other macros were too low due to my fruit consumption, then yes, that would be too much fruit.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yep! If you aim for 1-2 serving of fruit, that's good. Berries are low in carbs and sugars and won't spike your blood sugar like bananas can. I try to keep my energy level pretty even all day so as much as I love bananas, I need to watch my consumption.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Fruit has typically no fat and pretty much no protein, so too much of it can be a bad thing if you don't meet your other goals.

ETA: 'typically' no fat. I am aware that avocados are fruit, lol.

And olives :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you're eating so much fruit as to crowd adequate other nutrients out of your diet, that's too much fruit. Otherwise, no.

This is the right answer.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you're eating so much fruit as to crowd adequate other nutrients out of your diet, that's too much fruit. Otherwise, no.

This.

I mainly eat frozen berries because I like them. (I have a thing for frozen food). I love pineapple when it's in season and juicy and sweet. I also love stone fruit. Oranges bore me, and apples are ok - best suited to crumble :)

Apparently durian is nice, but I can't get past the smell so I wouldn't eat that.