Not enough support from loved ones?

Options
kcspm
kcspm Posts: 43 Member
Has anybody experienced loved ones being competitive or not as supportive as you'd wish they be? If so, how did you deal with it? I feel like the person who is the closest with me hasn't been supportive or encouraging. Maybe I'm overreacting, or just wanting too much?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm a single parent, so there was no loved one to support me. My family lives close and was not at all involved. Build up a community of people on here who will provide the support you are looking for.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kcspm wrote: »
    Has anybody experienced loved ones being competitive or not as supportive as you'd wish they be? If so, how did you deal with it? I feel like the person who is the closest with me hasn't been supportive or encouraging. Maybe I'm overreacting, or just wanting too much?

Ignore them...

That being said, have you had a conversation about what support you would like?
  • kcspm
    Options
    @TavistockToad it is not easy to ignore when you live with them. I have had 3 serious conversations and pretty much begged for support. I also msde it clear that it was all me. All my efforts and for myself. But the little remarks here and there are just hurtful.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    @TavistockToad it is not easy to ignore when you live with them. I have had 3 serious conversations and pretty much begged for support. I also msde it clear that it was all me. All my efforts and for myself. But the little remarks here and there are just hurtful.

When you say 'support' what did you say you want? Someone to cook your dinners? Take walks with you? Hide the cookies?
  • kcspm
    Options
    Just for them to be kind with their words. Not judge me. For example, I was feeding my son and said "this rice is dry." The person's reply was "how would you know?" Implying that I ate the rice. I didn't but that was incredibly hurtful, especially because I am working really hard. I don't cheat myself, and for someone who lives with me I'd expect them to see it more than anyone else. Another one was when I was leaving to go workout they asked me "well, when do I get to workout?" I guess I expected a pat on the back, like "hey good job." Or at least nothing at all.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Just for them to be kind with their words. Not judge me. For example, I was feeding my son and said "this rice is dry." The person's reply was "how would you know?" Implying that I ate the rice. I didn't but that was incredibly hurtful, especially because I am working really hard. I don't cheat myself, and for someone who lives with me I'd expect them to see it more than anyone else. Another one was when I was leaving to go workout they asked me "well, when do I get to workout?" I guess I expected a pat on the back, like "hey good job." Or at least nothing at all.

I think you're hearing things that aren't there personally.

As @cwolfman13 said, if you have no expectations of support you won't be disappointed.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Have you two always had marital issues? I'm assuming this is a spouse. It sounds like long term poor communication and harbored resentment, on both ends not just you. Maybe seek counseling together.
  • kcspm
    Options
    You're right.
  • kcspm
    Options
    Honestly, no. No marital problems. I justbfeel that I am vulnerable right now during this journey and that I may not be getting the support I deserve. I'm usually not a touchy feely person. We have great sense of humor and joke a lot. I felt I could post it here so I can get different perspectives. Be it, either somebody would be hurt too or like @TavistockToad said I'm seeing things that aren't there.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options

You gotta do you. Support from others is nice, but it's not a requirement. I have very few people in my life, much less people who are supportive of my fitness goals. That's why I come here and bug everyone for it instead :)

As for marital issues, people over look the relationships they are blessed with over time. Sometimes everyone needs to step back and realize how fortunate they are to have someone. Relationships are never perfect and require both people compromise over the years. You won't always see eye to eye, but if you can always put the effort in to rekindle and foster the relationship. (Or of course if it's an unhappy living situation that is sometimes a different situation).

One thing I've said a lot on these forums is that you can't expect your spouse/SO to be supportive, understand what you're going through, or even join you. The best thing you can do is lead by example. Someone else once explained it that you have to be greedy. You have to lose the weight for you, and you have to be selfish about the time and effort it takes to do it. It has to be something you want that you will work towards regardless of who or who isn't in the picture.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    It sounds like your expectations have changed and you're expecting your SO to change as well. Maybe figure out why you feel vulnerable and work on changing that? You can't change them just because you decided to change.

Many people find that when they make lifestyle changes their spouse won't join them. They then have to go from wanting to change everything to some compromises. That means dinners stay relatively the same since you have them together and your meals apart are more strict.
  • kcspm
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Geocitiesuser thank you for the kind words! The greedy thing definitely makes sense! @usmcmp I'm vulnerable because I'm working really hard to lose weight. Sometimes it's not only physically but also mentally exhausting. That's why I needed to know whether I'm the one seeing things and being oversensitive, maybe because I'm missing my comfort food? Lol My husband is in shape. My family eats well. It doesn't bother me what they eat. They don't need to change their life style like I do. There had just been a few comments that led me to think I'm not getting the support I need. But based on what you guys said, now I feel like a cry baby and that I'm definitely overthinking.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with my SO it was difficult at first because I wanted him to change with me- not realistic. But now that I have been making progress and positive changes, he has slowly started to see that maybe changing some of his habits are a good idea as well and he has become more supportive. I agree with others- this is for you, and you need to find strength within yourself to keep going (or find other friends like here on MFP). Maybe your strength will inspire him or maybe it won't, but don't let someone else stop you from doing what you want to do to improve yourself.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    now I feel like a cry baby and that I'm definitely overthinking.

I mean this in the most sensitive, non mean way possible, but most likely yes. You're entitled to it though as far as I'm concerned, because I do it too. Losing weight is hard. I don't know how much you have to lose or how long you've been overweight, but I'm just shy of losing 135lbs and sometimes it feels like I'm dragging my soul through broken glass to get to a finish line made of molten lava.

That's why so many of us say to build small habits incrementally if you can, and not rush weight loss. If you're calories are too low you will turn into a monster and/or corpse over time to the people around you.
  • kcspm
    Options
    @Geocitiesuser hahaha I appreciate it!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I understand that it can be mentally and physically exhausting, I've been through it. At some point you may have to decide that you will allow yourself to cry it out in the bathroom, then put on a determined face and keep pushing on alone.

As you said they don't need to change and they probably don't understand how hard it is for you. They never will. Make friends here who understand.
  • kcspm
    Options
    @cwolfman13 that's great advice! It's silly how we forget about something until somebody points out! Thank you
  • kcspm
    Options
    @usmcmp yup! Thanks for putting me back on track!