Vitamins

Options
I want to start taking a multivitamin, but I see so many articles and studies about how most multivitamins hardly have any effect. Are there certain ones that are better than others? I don't want to waste money buying them if there is no benefit.

Replies

• GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    GlassslippersAndFairyDust Posts: 518 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I take Vitafusion gummies. They have the least amount of junk in it for me
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin with iron on the advice of my dietician, recent bloods have come back perfect when my iron and vit D have been low in the past. I'll be continuing with them, they are nust cheap chain pharmacy ones.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have heard (no I can't prove it, but maybe check with a pharmacist) that the liquid multivitamins are more readily absorbed.
  • burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    +1 for a liquid multi. I use "Source of Life" by Natures Plus in whole food liquid form ... it's the best but it's expensive (about 50$/month)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Stick with the main brand like seven seas. Those new types of multi vitamin are useless
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Better question is why do you feel you need one? A dietician or GP would be able to better guide you on whether you even need one, and if you do which one to buy. A lot of them just make really expensive pee.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Basically, vitamins are only helpful if you're deficient. So it's a waste of money to take vitamins unless you actually need them. You don't get extra healthy by taking extra, you just pee out the excess.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin on advice of GP because deficiencies are common here in Vit D ( UK= no sunshine) My daughter actually has a vit D deficiency and takes a multi vitamin plus extra D.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have complex PTSD and a history of eating disorders and for me i notice a massive decline in mood if i run out of vitamins and don't take them for a couple of days. I believe it's almost impossible to meet every one of your bodys needs, so i am all for vitamins, especially if at a calorie deficit.
    Here is what i currently take:
    Morning - 1 Complete Multi(centrum is a good supermarket brand), 2 fish oil
    Evening - 1 B-complex with vitamin c, 1 Cal Mag D, 1 ZMA, 2 fish oil

B-complex contains all the B-vitamins and vitamin c (not all brands have vitamin c)
    Cal Mag D is Calcium, magnesium and vitamin D
    ZMA is Zinc, Magnesium, B6

If i run out of any of any of my supplements ill have a berocca or sugar free energy drink to get me through.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    But dont take a separate vitamin D to your multi in summer or if you live in a tropical, sunny area.