Cancker sore

Options
ekim2016
ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
Anybody have any good tips on a canker sore that developed overnight on roof of mouth? Been gargling with warm salt water.. gee, never had one of these before.

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Do you get cold sores? My dental hygienist told me they are the interior manifestation of the herpes simplex virus. I get them a few times a year - they go away in a couple of days.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I get them if I eat something acidy--like pineapple or peaches. I put a Tums on it to absorb the acid. It'll then go away in a day or two.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    A true canker sore generally lasts a week and maybe up to 10 days. I have been plagued with them all my life and my son inherited the tendency for them. I have had a few on the roof of my mouth and those types have been caused by abrasions. The internet abounds with home remedies, but generally nothing really works. They have to run their course. I've heard of using a wet tea bag on them. You can also buy some Alum powder (spice section) and apply it. I've never had a lot of luck.

Particularly bad ones can be treated by your doctor or dentist with silver nitrate sticks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It might be psychosomatic but I "cured" my hubby of canker sores by getting him B12 vitamins with "Stress" on the label. He calls them his "stress pills".

Try a B12 spray.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I get canker sores every single month. Just another lovely effect of being a "lady" (for me). Be careful with acidic foods and hard foods (chips/pretzels/bread)-they will HURT. If you get more than one, be extra careful to stay hydrated. Sometimes I get a bunch and I'll actually wake myself up throughout the night to drink water bc my mouth dries out and the pain is UNBEARABLE.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I screwed my mouth up once with super spicy foods. I just had to orajel that sucker constantly. I actually got pain meds from the doctor. The pain was so bad.
  • ekim2016
    edited June 2017
    Options
    thank you folks.. I never had one before and I'm fairly old..haha oddly, two weeks ago my DR said my blood tests were low on vitamin B so he gave me my first shot. Also my D3 was extremely low.. so put me on vitamins for that. Oddly, I now get this painful canker sore (I think) on roof of mouth. I did eat chips and popcorn the other day so maybe that caused it????? sure hurts tho. I have some of that chlorohexidine blue rinse from dentist a few months ago.. I wonder if that will help??
  • cwf552
    cwf552 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My dentist told me to take Lysine. It is found on the vitamin isle. I usually get canker sores if I am stressed but since I have started Lysine I never have them any more
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest Lysine. Sometimes called L-Lysine.
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I get them if I eat something acidy--like pineapple or peaches. I put a Tums on it to absorb the acid. It'll then go away in a day or two.

Same here. I get them just looking at pineapples and other acidic foods. I'll have to give the TUMS trick a try.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    cwf552 wrote: »
    My dentist told me to take Lysine. It is found on the vitamin isle. I usually get canker sores if I am stressed but since I have started Lysine I never have them any more

I'm excited to try this
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I find that iodized salt 3-4 times a day applied directly to the sore seems to reduce the duration to just a couple days.
  • amilsap9488
    amilsap9488 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You could try putting a little steroid cream (hydrocortisone) on it then put orabase on top of that so it does wash away right away. Steroid cream should help with the inflammation and the orabase helps keep it in place and has a low dose anesthetic in it
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I get them and take a bunch of L-Lysine when i do. It seems to shorten the span. You get it in the vitamin section.

For the pain, try teething gel.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you are taking extra vitamin C, stop.
  • ekim2016
    Options
    As of today that horrid sore has finally gone... it was a most vile experience I dare say I never have again!! Thank you all for your supportive input...
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I used to get sores on the roof of my mouth that I thought were cankers. It was actually related to night time teeth grinding. I got a night guard and haven't had them since.

If it is really canker sores, Abbreva helps a lot if you catch it early enough.

Either way, a sore hurts! Get some topical numbing agent like Oragel and heal up fast.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Also contributing is if you brushed vigorously and hit the roof of your mouth with your tooth brush. Some things that work for the pain - orajel, get the one with the highest percentage of pain management ingredients; bee propolis in alcohol tincture (hurts like the dickens but dries it up really fast and provides a nice patch over the area); suck on ice chips to bring down the swelling; suck on a baby aspirin (between the teeth and gum) will also help with pain and swelling. Don't eat anything acidic for a while - lemons, oranges, sodas. Have soft food, cool soups, until it heals. Don't get over confident - just be patient. Feel better!