Swimming

Options
klrenn
klrenn Posts: 245 Member
So, my community pool is about to open, and now that my kids are older I'll actually be able to go to the adult only swim times and swim laps. Since I've fallen off the running wagon (and don't really enjoy summer running anyway) I was thinking it would be a nice way to get my cardio in.

Here's the 'problem'

I'm not really good at it

I'm competent swimmer in that I'm in no danger of drowning and I'm fit enough that with a bit of a ramp up I don't foresee any problems actually doing a decent workout. But I'm so not pretty, and I never learned proper breathing technique. I know I'll feel self conscious about swimming in public.

Do I just get over myself and swim like a fool? Is this something that I could learn (or at least improve) with a lesson or 2?

I know...people are more concerned with themselves, but when everyone swimming laps is so smooth and quiet, I'm afraid of being the loud splashy one.

Any advice on getting into swimming would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• PinkandBlack29
    PinkandBlack29 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would just get in there and swim, but if it makes you more comfortable get a swimming lesson in or two
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You would be a lot more comfortable and efficient if you learn a proper stroke or two. See if the pool offers any adult swim lessons. I use two strokes: freestyle and breaststroke. Freestyle is my "speed" stroke and breaststroke is my recovery. My arms fatigue during freestyle, but I could do breaststroke forever.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    This really depends on how self-conscious you are. I avoid swimming at peak times not so much because I look awkward but because I am slow and I don't like impeding other peoples' workouts when I have to share a lane with them. My experience from swimming is that most people have their heads in the water and can't notice your strokes (at least most of the time) and that most swimmers are recreational and not as graceful as you would expect.

You may want to sit around the pool during lap swim just to see how good (or bad) your potential peers actually are. Unless you are swimming just before or after competitive swim practices are taking place, I suspect you'll find that many of the lap swimmers are 40+ men and women who swim for exercise because things like running or lifting weights aggravate too many past injuries.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I agree that proper form will help you enjoy swimming. I'd take some lessons and see what you think. Swimming is great exercise.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I found a couple of lessons really helped me, with both form and breathing. Which also boosted my confidence. Go for it, with or without the lessons you won't regret it. No one takes any notice of anyone else.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I took a few lessons to get back on track and it made all the difference. Now I'm a little more efficient (still not great) and I also made friends with the swim instructor. Plus, go on YouTube and watch a few swim videos for free. I like Total Immersion. They teach you how to swim calmly :) Happy Laps!!!
  • Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I like all the advice given so far. You should indeed check to see if the pool offers lessons. However, while you’re looking for lessons, go swim. The other swimmers will not mind. In fact, they may offer advice or help.

So, my advice is to splash away. :)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    +whatever on getting a lesson or two. But honestly, if the people at your pool are anything like the people at my pool, you could do just about anything and no one would think twice about it. We have walkers, runners, stretchers, swimmers, soakers, kids who play -- there are even a couple guys who swim a lap, then jump out and do push ups or squats while the other one swims the lap and then they change places. That routine did cause me to pause a little, but really, it's all about fitness, so whatever works. Enjoy!!
  • klrenn
    Options
    @Djproulx Wow! thanks so much! Definitely will keep all this in mind.

@Steff46 , going to check out Total Immersion, thanks for the recommendation!

And thanks everyone else...I'm going to look into what they charge for lessons, but in the meantime I'm going to just jump right in!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Swimming is a great cardio activity. Over the last 5 years, I've re-learned swimming as a result of getting hooked on triathlons. And I've really come to enjoy pool workouts on the days after hard run sessions, since swimming has zero impact on the joints. Its a great recovery day.

Swimming is ALL about technique. You are trying to be streamlined and "hide" from the water as you glide. Almost all adult onset swimmers work too hard since their technique is poor, with sinking legs being a primary example of poor form leading to increased drag. This leads to quick exhaustion, gasping for air, etc.

With that in mind, getting a lesson or two is a GREAT idea. If not practical, then having an experienced swimmer on deck to observe your stroke and offer suggestions is the next best thing. A third choice would be to have a friend take a video of you swimming, then watch your video and compare your technique to a "perfect" stroke, as found on many online resources.

Few more points come to mind

1. Its all about being flat and long in the water. Head straight, core muscles engaged, legs straight out behind you, toes pointed away.
    2. Glide as much as possible: Slow is smooth and smooth is efficient. This is how you get faster and build endurance.
    3. Kick from the hips, not by bending your knees. Also, kick "small" as if your feet were inside a bucket.
    4. Breathing: When your head is in the water, exhale a stream of bubbles rather than holding your breath. Then as you turn your head to breathe, your lungs are empty and you inhale while looking to one side, NOT by lifting your head.
    5. Finally, and this is my favorite - if you tend to bend your legs, think about squeezing a coin between your glutes as a way to remember to keep your body straight.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

When my sons took swimming lessons, I explained that you run with your legs straight, not bent. I did a show so they'd remember it. Just try running crouched--you can't go very fast or far. Swimming is the same, but so many people bend their legs.
  • klrenn
    Options
    . My arms fatigue during freestyle, but I could do breaststroke forever.

I prefer breaststroke...I feel much smoother wth it, less splashy than freestyle. Gotta get the breathing rhythm down, though.

• chstudio
    chstudio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    All great advice by others. Sounds like you the group gave you the courage to jump in. Good for you!
    I was an adult beginner once. Took a group class. It made a huge difference. The difference wasn't so much about how my messy workouts might effect others but how much fun I could have in the water. It really does feel better when you know the strokes. I felt like I was fighting the water before I took lessons.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Get a snorkel thingy. I used to be really good at breathing but completely forgot + i'm in worse shape than when I was swimming a lot which makes it hard to get the breathing down. I just ordered a snorkeling kit to breathe normally when i swim, then when i have better lung capacity to breathe out slowly then i'll just stop using the snorkel kit
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm going to echo the suggestion to get proper form down. You won't get tired as easily and will go further faster. A few people on here listed some great tips to get started!
  • jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Swimming Snorkel FTW!
  • klaramarina
    klaramarina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I find swimming one of the best workouts, easy on joints, it will trim you all around, I came back into swimming because my knee is injured after running overweight. Good luck
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I keep meaning to look into youtube swim video to clean up my stroke. Right now I'm just going be cause it feels awesome to be in the water.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    First of all you're absolutely right nobody's really going to pay attention to you. As far as taking a lesson it's a great idea but eventually you're going to have to develop your own technique and feel for the breathing.

My other suggestion to you is there's a great website called 02 1500. It's a routine for people who don't swim to get them up to a mile in about six weeks I forget the exact time. A mile may seem unrealistic but it's not really hard at all plus the website has other great routines.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I improved my swimming ability by watching Youtube videos and asking the lifeguards (who are also instructors at my community pool) a few questions along the way. I started out in the super slow lane so I could start / stop without impeding anyone in the lap lanes. Getting a good pair of goggles made a difference as well.

And I can tell you there are people of all abilities that come out to swim, float, paddle, stretch, bounce or just hang out in the water. Just do it and enjoy!!