Lose fat first and add muscle later?

Options
mcafton
mcafton Posts: 190 Member
I stay fairly active, and have a physical job. I weigh around 229 and am 5'8". I just finished school in March and turned 40. I want to get more serious about getting in shape. I have been working out every other day. Usually ride a bike but started getting serious about weights again in the last few months. Started creatine (which made me gain a few pounds in water weight) and take protein shakes and bars. I tend to eat way too much so am not losing weight. I just started counting my calories. My question is should I focus on weight loss first, then add muscle later. I don't want to be discouraged by fluctuating weight or not losing because of supplements and trying to gain muscle.

Replies

• JustinRa
    JustinRa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's my strategy. I'm 6'1, 216, and working to get down to 205. Once I get there I'll focus on strength goals. I know fat loss and muscle gain aren't either/or goals, but I've found it to be much easier to focus on one at a time. Good luck
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks. you too!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    ^^ This. I started weight loss and lifting at the same time - best strategy ever. Wish I'd done it previously.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If you start lifting now you'll prevent muscle loss. Weight loss through diet only or diet and cardio results in fat loss and muscle loss. By lifting now you'll preserve the muscle you have. It's easier to keep muscle than it is to regrow it.

this.

sage advice (as usual)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If you start lifting now you'll prevent muscle loss. Weight loss through diet only or diet and cardio results in fat loss and muscle loss. By lifting now you'll preserve the muscle you have. It's easier to keep muscle than it is to regrow it.

^ Very true words right there.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    theres r assumptions in my suggestion here. i m 5.8 n weight 167 n i m roughly at 14/15% BF. i also know that BMI has a 5.8 male at around 145 to 155lbs. this make me guess ur BF% is most likely over 20%. u can bulk now n cut later but u r will heavier n heavier with no fat loss while u r building muscle. its ok if u r ok with the look. if u like a leaner look while building muscle, then u need to lose some fat first but u still lift from day one n there will be some muscle gain because of beginners gain. u then go into full bulk or lean bulk mode after u like what u see in the mirror. both ways work, its a personal taste based on how u like ur body to look while building muscle.

but lifting n cutting fat first is what i preferred

1. start lifting with something like a stronglift 5x5. its a free download.
    2. setup MFP to lose .5 or 1lb/week
    3. manually adjust the protein intake to .6 to .8g per pound of CW (or set it to whatever amount u think its good for u to preserve muscle mass)
    4. adjust the system base on ur bodys feedback n how u like what u see in the mirror.
    5. adjust MFP to gain .5lb to 1lb/week once u want to go into bulk mode

or go into bulk mode from day one by doing 1 3 n 5

good luck!

PS my dairy is open
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. You don't need to use creatine or supplements to lift.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Modest calorie deficit to lose weight. Lift now to maintain muscle and increase strength. Pick a good full body lifting routine from http://community.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1 Follow it as outlined and skip the bro-split and unneeded supplements.
  • nextstopswoleville
    nextstopswoleville Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I concur with most of the group. Lifting now to preserve muscle is a solid strategy. Personally, I have had the best results (16.9 BF to 12.9 BF), doing resistance training and then cardio on the same day, 5x week.
    The lean mass I'm building is helping me burn fat, and the HIIT cardio I do after every weight lifting session burns even more. So while you can lose the weight first, you shouldn't.

Also, tracking your macros will help immensely. As soon as I did this I saw results. Good luck on your journey.
  • Sophannah2017
    Sophannah2017 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Where can I find this strong lift 5x5 ? I'm new to the forums and curious to see it as that's twice this week I've heard of it
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Where can I find this strong lift 5x5 ? I'm new to the forums and curious to see it as that's twice this week I've heard of it

The link to it is in the first post in this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What is your weight goal? Your BMI is 34.8, which is defined as obese.

I'm 66, 5'8" and currently 158# and 10% BF (measured hydrostatically). Lost 38 lbs down from 196 over 6 months and have maintained at +/- 5# at 160 for the past 6 months but between 156-158 for the past 3.

My BMI was 29.8 (overweight) and is now 24 (normal but only 1 point w/in the normal range); it has never been below 23.

The best strategy as already proposed is to go on a deficit diet and lift to maintain muscle and build strength. SL 5x5 is NOT the only lifting program available; it's just the one most often mentioned on MFP.

Another good lifting program form beginners is Starting Strength -- which preceded SL and is backed up w/a book which fully explains the reasons for the lifts and how to execute them.

I did both and preferred Starting Strength. I maxed out long ago and am just doing something of my own design to maintain the strength/muscle that I built up before.

I also did A LOT of cardio early on in order to increase the calorie deficit. People here will tell you that losing weight is just about CICO (calories in/calories out); that you don't need to do cardio to lose weight.

While that is "technically"true, doing cardio allows you to eat more and still lose weight so that you won't feel as hungry as you "diet" and I also believe that it also has a metabolic effect which allows you to burn more cals while you are resting.

Some may say "bunk" to that but there is no doubt that cardio also has health benefits such as improve improved respiration, heart health and reduced blood pressure. So, I'd suggest incorporating cardio into your program; doing more early on and less later as your need for an additional calorie burn subsides.

In addition, I'd highly recommend going on a high protein/high carb diet with a macro goal of 40%P/40%/20% fat, which is what I do because it contributes to weight loss and muscle/strength development.

My current cal limit is 2000 cal/day and this works out to 200g P/200gC and about 45gF per day and works out to 1.25g/P per #BW.

A lot of people on MFP will tell you that you don't need THAT much protein and that eating that much protein can harm you but, if you read the literature, you'll find that those people are wrong.

I'll leave it to you to do the research but, in my experience, a high protein/carb and low fat diet has worked for me. If you want to read about my story, you can find it in the Maintenance sub-forum under "Ready to Recomp."

Good luck!

• SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I'm also 40 and am trying the lifting weights while losing weight strategy. I started around 289, and now am right around 250 after 4 months. I have essentially been doing essentially StrongLifts 3x5, and combining it with a high cardio volume in the form of walking long distances (2-3 hours of walking a day)...and some other random things like hitting a punching bag and throwing a medicine ball.

I think at some point you're just going to hit stalls and be a little frustrated while you lift weights...but that's probably not a good reason to avoid doing it anyway. I'm about at that point now, and think it'll just be more of a grind from here on out.

I'm happy to have tried it this way, though. I had previously lost weight (years and years ago)...and did no lifting while I lost weight. When I reached my goal weight, I still was unhappy because I had little muscle.

I think you'll be happy if you start lifting weights now...and then add in some cardio you feel like is sustainable for you so that you can eat enough to be sane while you're losing your weight.

I do get weight fluctuations, and they can be quite frustrating and disheartening when you gain weight. For that reason, I'm starting to like the idea better of only weighing myself every 2 weeks better than every week or every day. I just thought I'd mention that part since you said it was something you were a little worried about.

I suggest you track your calorie intake if you're not already...I think it really helps. Good luck!
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lose fat and maintain muscle first, you may be surprised what already lays under those layers.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift weights on a structured, progressive overload lifting program designed for beginners like StrongLifts. Don't make your own and do add weight to the bar as if it's your goal. (Your goal is not to build muscle, but to keep it, if the weight on the bar stays the same or increases, you're good.) Three things will happen.

You'll lose weight from your calorie deficit. (Don't forget your protein intake)
    You'll keep most of the muscle.
    You'll look sexy AF in 1 year less than you would if you didn't lift.

Consider not overdoing cardio and focus instead on HIIT type cardio. Steady-state cardio like running, sports contribute to catabolism (loss) of muscle, while HIIT tends to be less so. Cardio does burn away calories while you do it, but lifting burns calories all day while not doing it (sleeping).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    mcafton wrote: »
    My question is should I focus on weight loss first, then add muscle later.

Unless you are low body fat% for your height/weight ratio. I would suggest focusing on fat loss coupled with strength training.

Once you reach a lower fat percentage, it would be more advantageous to add muscle at that point.

• joelartygreenwood
    joelartygreenwood Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lose weight first before bulking (which requires calorie surplus). Lifting weights can be done instead of cardio and is more enjoyable for some. I've lost 50+ pounds without doing cardio except occasional walks/runs on non lifting days. Lifting has kept the muscle loss at a minimum.

And you can get *stronger* while losing fat. As the fat comes off, it *looks* like you're gaining muscle.

Supplements aren't needed and sometimes just provides false promises. But keep the protein at 1g/lb of body weight. Adjust the other macros as you make progress.